setting up Flyinside to work in oculus

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

setting up Flyinside to work in oculus

Postby EagleSkinner » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Oculus works - Steam, XPlane, Oculus - all OK. FSX normal works brilliantly over the two monitor setup.

system.png
system.png (367.57 KiB) Viewed 16873 times

On starting a correctly paid and registered Flyinside (McAfee was off) all I see in VR is a blue "FSX loading" symbol, but if I leave VR then I can use FSX normally on my dual monitor setup.

Graphics card is ASUS 1070 with software at latest state (October) - I have been trying to mak FlyInside work for at least a week now - and I simply cannot enter FSX in VR despite the instructions give. OK, there must be an RTFM issue there somewhere, but if there is, it's well hidden.

graphics conns.png
graphics conns.png (207.95 KiB) Viewed 16873 times

As FSX and Xplane work in the normal dual monitor setup and I can acces XP11 using the XP11 internal VR setup (not Flyinside) I guess I have missed something fundamental.

Please advise
EagleSkinner

Re: setting up Flyinside to work in oculus

Postby Tony » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:57 am

Do you use triple head or similar software for the dual monitor ?
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Tony » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:58 am

Plus if it's not too much trouble, could you try with just one monitor attached for me ?
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby EagleSkinner » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi Tony, sorry for not responding - I didn't get any kind of notification...

Monitors - I use Windows built in SW to make one screen spread over two 32" screens (Win 10 would even allow me a three screen setup, but I have spent enough on monitors already ;) ) - all other software works; so does "normal" FSX - it is really smooth and I get high FPS flying in the ORBX Pacific northwest with literally all sliders right / maxed options throughout and even with any aircraft that uses 4096 textures; not just the A2A ones that use only one texture DDS, but even some of my own "extreme" texture sets such as the aerosoft PBY with its multiples of external textures. But I have reduced some FSX settings because I simply don't need 100% traffic on roads, water or in the air. After a fair bit of fiddling (I really do miss a decent manual by the way - where is it?) I have had Flyinside working - occasionally. It makes no difference whether one or two screens connected, the same "problems" happen throughout.

Anyhow - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Here's a typical episode:

I start by clicking on the Flyinside icon. FI starts, Oculus starts and I wait now for FSX to come to life. If I try loading a FSX savedflight: FI either seizes to the the blue "loading" icon with FSX visible and playable on the monitor(s). I did get the centering options and binding. By the way - what am I supposed yo understand by "binding" - there's no real explanation (I know - RTFM, and as I mentioned before: where is it?)

When that happens, my only option appears to be reboot the PC (normal shutdown of FSX and Oculus - restart PC)

So I try loading Flinside after reboot. OK. Next I set up a flight using the "Free Flight" screen and default options - Friday harbor. That works most times now except thjat I have to remember that the trike flight controls are reversed if you use the Oculus "grab" function. Basically as per real world.

If I end flight, create a new flight and "Fly Now" then I (again) get sporadic collapses and sometimes I actiually get flying... Could there be some addon sceneries and aircraft that react negatively with Flyinside?

A current example has been a restart to the default boot flight using the FSX Piper Cub - everything goes fine on monitor, but right now I have a blackscreen in VR with no visuals even trying the Oculus or the menu buttons.

Questions:

Can I Flyinside without joysticks / yokes / throttle quadrant? It looks like the grab and swith activation does not work everywhere. Some throttles / mixture / switches / radio dials will work in VR, but for those which don't I need to lift the Oculus goggles, scan my hardware and, well by then I am out of control.

I know, it's probably me, but I would RTFM if I could find one... "wood for trees?"
On a good day I can get to ready to fly in about 15 to 20 minutes. On a bad day (most of them) I rarely get past create flight and then, if I do, I have taken two hours or more.

I wonder how many users like me (The Artwick generation) are equally confounded?
EagleSkinner

Postby Tony » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:04 pm

No mate, I've missed the ship on this, the wiki in the threads above explain the basics but it hasn't been updated for a long time. Give me a little while here and I'll post what I can to help. Also if the problem persists for you then I can arrange a teamviewer session with Dan to take a look remotely at your setup. Sound good ?
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby EagleSkinner » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:28 pm

Too slow again, I've been away for a few days. Anyway, the idea sounds good - what timezone are you in? I am on GMT and can manage evenings. There's no major hurry - Oculus is a load of fun without FSX :D
EagleSkinner

Postby Tony » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:58 pm

I am GMT also but Dan who does teamviewing is in the US ;) Let me know.
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby EagleSkinner » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Will do, but here's a funny:

I just fired up Flyinside with all the FS hardware removed except for pedals and got a fun flight in the IRIS Christen Eagle and I used the "grab" function of the Oculus controllers to "fly" using the VR joystick. That worked fine out of the box. Then I plugged in the joystick - that caused oculus to crash. I think there is something inherently wrong with the hardware setup. Let me keep trying...
EagleSkinner

Return to Oculus Rift CV1