freezing of headtracking,switching between vr and lcd flying

As the title says, get involved,share or discuss new ideas or features. (PLEASE NO BUGS)

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

freezing of headtracking,switching between vr and lcd flying

Postby fly4fun » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:33 am

There are two features that I miss at the present state of the art when siming with oculus and flyinside:

- freezing of the headtracking: it sounds just the opposite of the immersion we strive for but when programming the mcp it is a blessing; it is a feature in trackir and much appreciated, also much used

- the possibility of switching between vr and standard monitor flying: of course I would like to do everything inside the vr but at the moment some things are just much easier on the eyes, less tiring and frustrating and easier done the old fashioned way in front of the monitor rather then with the headset. It is awesome to be in and look around the 737 cockpit in vr, it is less awesome to prepare it for flight or be in it for two hours in cruise. I would appreciate the option to do that with the goggles off and then when it comes to taxiing stage, takeoff, climb, final descent and landing switch to vr - I see it as a temporary workaround before the hardware really catches up with the resolution, input devices and ease of wear. (PS: seriously thou, has anyone looked into what the prolonged use of headset does to our sight?)

cheers
CPU i7-4790 - GPU ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 OC 8GB on latest driver - RAM 16gb DDR3 - Drives 2tb HDD 125gb SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Sims - FSX-accel and X-Plane ver 10.51 - CV1
fly4fun

Re: freezing of headtracking,switching between vr and lcd fl

Postby aurel42 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:56 am

fly4fun wrote:- freezing of the headtracking: it sounds just the opposite of the immersion we strive for but when programming the mcp it is a blessing; it is a feature in trackir and much appreciated, also much used

If I may butt in here and show my support by quoting myself from an earlier thread:

watching streams from people using TrackIR, I noticed that they often lock their TrackIR in a certain position, for example after leaning in to zoom to a certain group of instruments or controls or the FMS, to be able to explain certain features of the instruments easier without their head movement interfering.

I wonder if it would be possible (and "cheap") to add an option to FI to pause/unpause head tracking (position and direction) with the push of a button.

It doesn't need to be exposed in the UI (and probably shouldn't be, because it would just confuse the hell out of some users). I would be happy with an option to assign a button in the FI config file that would have to be added (or changed) manually.

There is probably no way to use the blue dot or LM hands to control anything, so pausing the tracking should probably automatically center and unhide the mouse -- the scenario I'm imagining is that someone asks how the FMS works, the streamer leans in on it, they press the "pause tracking" button, the mouse pointer appears, the streamer uses the mouse to point to or interact with stuff, when they're done with the explanation, they unpause the tracking and the view snaps back to their tracked head position and direction.

This might also be useful to freeze the view when you put the Rift away for a moment during streaming?
i7-4790K/4.0; GTX1080; 16GB; SSD; Win10/64; before: FSX:SE, now: P3Dv3; CV1
aurel42

Postby frankbicknell » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:40 pm

(PS: seriously thou, has anyone looked into what the prolonged use of headset does to our sight?)

I'm not sure. I have only been using vr for a short while. Has not had any affect on me. :lol:

cross-eyed-young-man-23649254.jpg
cross-eyed-young-man-23649254.jpg (46.61 KiB) Viewed 6184 times
Z370 Chipset ASUS MB, I7 8700, 32Gb DDR4, M.2 - SSD, Win 10 64
GEForce 1080 TI SC@ Hybrid, Oculus HMD, Saitek X52 pro, Saitek pro cessna
frankbicknell

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Don't see anything wrong? Might need a little haircut though ;)

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Return to Flyinside Feature Requests(NEW)