Lock Window Focus While Typing

As the title says, get involved,share or discuss new ideas or features. (PLEASE NO BUGS)

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Lock Window Focus While Typing

Postby jburrowes » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:50 am

Hi guys,

First post here. Like all of you, I'm loving flight simming now. I hadn't touched FSX for about five years until I tried and then bought this great program.

I've encountered a problem that doesn't seem to have been mentioned on the forums. I've tried searching "typing" and "focus" and "typing vatsim" with no luck.

The problem is that to type into a VATSIM chat window, or its Flight Plan clipboard, I have to place the FlyInside FSX dot in the text entry field and click or double click and then type. No problem so far but what happens is that within seconds focus is lost and any further typing is useless until I repeat the process. This is, as you can imagine, quite tedious and time consuming even while stationary on the ground. There should be a way to lock focus in a text entry field. Maybe by double clicking in it? Then, to break focus, the Tab key might be a good choice. Not Enter as one might want to do a line break within the message.

I've tried tilting my head up so that I can see my monitor and type in the VATSIM windows there but that doesn't work. I can't type at all in those windows while their twins are floating inside the cockpit. If I could, for the few times I'll need to be typing that would be fine. A bit immersion breaking but heck... there's no way I'm going back to flying staring at a monitor.

I hope this problem can be solved. I mean I hope it's possible to implement some sort of focus lock.

Thanks and cheers,

JB
jburrowes

Re: Lock Window Focus While Typing

Postby jburrowes » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:31 am

Ten views and no one is reporting the same problem? Am I missing something? For me I can type for maybe five seconds and then, even if I have the dot over the entry field, after five seconds the window loses focus and I have to click in it again to be able to type. No one else is experiencing this?
jburrowes

Postby Sharkku » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:34 am

This sounds more like a bug than something that needs a new feature. I don't have vatsim myself, so haven't experienced the issue. Do you have any other open programs that might be stealing focus? Where does the focus go?

I agree that it is annoying as hell when you type and the window you are typing into loses focus. It should be prohibited by law. :)
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby jburrowes » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:03 pm

Sharkku wrote:This sounds more like a bug than something that needs a new feature. I don't have vatsim myself, so haven't experienced the issue. Do you have any other open programs that might be stealing focus? Where does the focus go?

Several programs need to be run for me to enjoy fairly realistic glider soaring flights. I'll have to watch for whether any of them are grabbing focus.

Where does the focus go? I assume it just fades out as to the state the entire system was in immediately prior to trying to type. Next time it happens I'll very quickly try pausing or slewing. Only very briefly as VATSIM understandably doesn't want aircraft paused in mid air or slewing across the globe. If FSX itself has lost focus hitting P or Y won't do anything until I restore focus to it. Maybe I can narrow it down that way.

I really don't want to type messages while flying anyway. For creating the flight plan with the VATSIM program I'm using I can load FSX in normal mode and type fine. Then I save the plan and log in in VR mode. All I need to type then is the actual departure time. I'd rather be able to do all that in VR mode but this workaround is not a huge inconvenience.

Cheers,

JB
jburrowes

Return to Flyinside Feature Requests(NEW)