Leap Motion suggestion

As the title says, get involved,share or discuss new ideas or features. (PLEASE NO BUGS)

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Leap Motion suggestion

Postby Ifikratis » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:18 am

A suggestion that may make the whole experience easier and more accurate. An issue with Leap Motion is that if there are obstacles around you, you don't have enough space to move your hands. Also if I'm not mistaken the tracking seems to be better in the look-up position when the module is sitting on the desk facing up instead in front of the headset.

So, what I suggest would be an option to use the Leap Motion with FI in the facing-up orientation. The module will sit on the desk in front of the user. Then, the artificial hands will appear all the time in front of us where-ever we look and you have to reach some centimeters out.That way the camera can easily also identify a rotating thumb-pointer finger gesture and may be possible to implement that for rotating knobs. I suppose that it shouldn't be difficult to implement in FI though Dan is the expert to say if its possible or not.
VR: OR CV1 + Leap Motion CPU: 6700K@4.6Ghz GPU: GTX1070 RAM: 16GB 3600Mhz C15 MOBO: GB Z170X-Gaming 7 SSD: Samsung 850 EVO
Prepar3D v3.4.14.18870 | FlyInside P3D Pro 1.7 | Orion 3.2.0+45899 | Windows 10 x64
Ifikratis

Re: Leap Motion suggestion

Postby MartinW » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:35 pm

I don't believe that will work.

For example, I have a Saitek yoke in front of me. So to have it facing up, the only place I would be able to put it would be on top of the yoke. That instantly means there is no possibility to flick any of the switches lower than the top of the yoke in the sim because it simply won't see my hands when i do that. Unless I've completely misunderstood you :)

I actually thought that with the Orion SDK the unit was completely re-written to work with in on the front of your HMD?
System: i7 6700k, 4.2ghz | 32gb DDR4 | GTX1080 | Asus GeneVIII | 500GB M2.SSD | 2TB Hybrid | W1064
VR: Oculus Rift CV1. Leap Motion.
SIM: P3D, FSX, XP11, Saitek Yoke, Throttle & Trim wheel, CH Pro Pedals
MartinW

Re: Leap Motion suggestion

Postby Ifikratis » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi Martin,

My suggestion is that our hands will be all the time above the Leap Motion detector, in your case above your yoke. So when you look around the hands will always come with the view but your physical hands will remain on top of the yoke. You will only need to cover the delta-distance from the zero position lets say to whatever knob you want to reach. For me even using the latest orion beta, the fingers flicker many times. I believe the tracking gets confused by things around you when you turn your head, while in the looking-up position there are no changes in the background fot the sensor's camera and so its more accurate.
VR: OR CV1 + Leap Motion CPU: 6700K@4.6Ghz GPU: GTX1070 RAM: 16GB 3600Mhz C15 MOBO: GB Z170X-Gaming 7 SSD: Samsung 850 EVO
Prepar3D v3.4.14.18870 | FlyInside P3D Pro 1.7 | Orion 3.2.0+45899 | Windows 10 x64
Ifikratis

Return to Flyinside Feature Requests(NEW)