Support for Vive Pro resolutions (Samsung Odyssey)

As the title says, get involved,share or discuss new ideas or features. (PLEASE NO BUGS)

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Support for Vive Pro resolutions (Samsung Odyssey)

Postby idefixgallier » Tue May 01, 2018 12:53 pm

I have the same "problem" as my fellow flightsim colleagues with the Vive Pro have ...

Flightinside seems not honoring a higher resolution as my Odyssey or the Vive Pro has ...

Please change the code to do this ...
idefixgallier

Re: Support for Vive Pro resolutions (Samsung Odyssey)

Postby Robert » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:05 am

We have an update coming soon for P3D. Hopefully the native VR support let's us just drop FlyInside the same as the last X-Plane update did.

The Vive Pro / Samsung Odyssey resolution is enough of a bump to really make a difference in the experience but there apparently aren’t enough of us with the higher resolution equipment to justify the time/effort to properly support it in FlyInside.

I guarantee that Lockheed-Martin wants to support higher resolutions, though. It’s a game changer for them from the 1st gen Vive and Rift. The 4.3 P3D update hits this month so basically in the next two weeks. We'll just have to wait and see.

Three months and no FlyInside update for these headsets is very frustrating.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Robert » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Native support is now good enough in 4.3 to make the jump, and man, is the graphic clarity worth it. Its like night and day.
Robert

Postby idefixgallier » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:18 pm

I did with 4.2 already BUT you are right 4.3 is a very fine piece of software for VR.

Are you using Vive Pro or the Odyssey?
If Odyssey ... what settings do you use for Supersamling in SteamVR?
(and what Antialising within P3d)?

kind regards
idefixgallier

Postby Robert » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:26 pm

I'm running Vive Pro with supersampling set to manual 1.0. I think even that is some level of supersampling but not sure. But the Pro/Odyssey don't need any. The images are tack sharp and just gorgeous. It’s what I’ve been wanting in VR flight simulationfor years. I turned down a number of settings in P3D to get smooth performance and AA is set to none in P3D. Not very noticeable. If FlyInside supported Pro/Odyssey, could turn it back on along with higher autogen, etc.

I do get slight cogging in congested city type areas. It would be nice to have FlyInside to fix that but this late I don't think we'll see a version for the Pro/Odyssey. My plan is to jump on the 1180 when those hit and quit hoping for anything but native support. We're now a full three months since the Pro hit and seeing a P3D 4.3 patch in just a few days while nothing for higher resolution is very discouraging.
Robert

Postby idefixgallier » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:31 am

Thank you for the quick response!

I find it very interessting ... its true it was a giant leap from the
oculus to the Odyssey but i am not so happy with the Antialiasing.

I am using 200% Overdrive in SteamVR (what is ~1.4 Supersampling) and i
definitely need 2x Supersampling within P3D to get rid of the aliasing effects.
8MSAA is not doing the job.

Thats why i am suprised that you dont use Antialiasing or Supersampling ...

I am waiting for the next googles - i still want to get more sharpness.
Performancewise its very ok with my 8800K and GTX1080i
idefixgallier

Postby Robert » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:05 pm

I believe SteamVR is still supersampling even set at 1.0 but can’t swear to that.

I've heard that the image quality is also different between the Pro and Odyssey. It’s the same display panels but there is something different about the Pro. I haven’t seen the Odyssey displays to be able to say from personal experience. Just parroting what I’ve heard others say. Take it with a grain of salt.

But I do see aliasing and stairsteps on angled lines like this. It’s just not that distracting to me.

Fingers crossed that the 1180 makes FlyInside unnecessary. I saw on the P3D boards that LM is already working on correcting some VR issues that still remain.
Robert

Return to Flyinside Feature Requests(NEW)