Feature Request. Head movement limits (per aircraft?)

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Feature Request. Head movement limits (per aircraft?)

Postby Bruce_C » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:24 am

It's probably to soon to be requesting features but how about including a way to limit head movement in the sim? I know it sounds like it would adversely affect immersion but if I could set 'boundries' for my head movement that would prevent me being able to put my virtual head through the canopy or other parts of the aircraft structure I think it would be an improvement?

Cheers,

Bruce
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Re: Feature Request. Head movement limits (per aircraft?)

Postby ThreeDeeVision » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:05 pm

I would hope something like this would be optional if it was implemented. Head movement limits would also need to be physical for this sort of immersion, or you would feel discomfort when the camera started limiting your movement. Constructing a cockpit would create a physical limit that would match the virtual one and give you much more immersion. You wouldn't even need a cockpit really, just something to limit your movement where you think the cockpit limits are.

I also enjoy being able to stand up and stick my head out of an aircraft and look around. The only drawback to that is you can see the missing plane textures. Microsoft obviously saved some resources by only rendering things they thought you could see from one position. One really funny one I noticed was the complete lack of nose on the Airbus during the Rome-Naples run mission. This is really noticeable when you are nosing up to land. The roof textures of all the planes are left out as well, you can see the top of the air vent panels when you stand up.
EVGA X99 Classified | i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Crucial Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan Xp | Win 10 64Bit | Asus ROG PG348Q G-Sync Monitor | Vive Pro
ThreeDeeVision

Postby Robert » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:25 pm

I have to agree with ThreeDeeVision. You couldn't just freeze head movement or nausea would set in from the disconnect of perceived head position vs. the perspective that is displayed. But you also don't need physical stops. A sharp fade would do it as well and I believe is what Oculus recommends in the best practices.

But this kind of opens up other issues such as having to modify those limits if a window was down, canopy slid back, etc. What is a valid limit at one time may not be at another.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Bruce_C » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:50 am

It's certainly not a straight forward feature to implement but being able to move your head (and body) through the aircraft structure is as much of an immersion breaker to me as a hard stop would be. The hard stop as my head touches the canopy would be more realistic imho but perhaps there is some middle ground. A physical restraint is a good idea and if I had the space to build a P51 or Spitfire cockpit I would but I don't think it's practical. For the time being I'm spending most of my time flying my Spitfire with the canopy open!
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Postby ThreeDeeVision » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:08 am

I think if the clipping was turned down a bit on the inside of the cockpits it would help greatly. Right now it is very easy to see clipping on pretty much any smaller cockpit in the game just by doing normal head movements with no leaning. Looking up in a glider instantly clips the canopy and looks very strange because it looks like half of your view is looking through it. Looking up in quite a few of the smaller planes causes clipping through the roof.

With less clipping, I think you would have to try and break immersion by sticking your head through the wall of the cockpit. In real life, you don't smack your head against walls to test limits, you see the wall and adjust your space accordingly.
EVGA X99 Classified | i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Crucial Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan Xp | Win 10 64Bit | Asus ROG PG348Q G-Sync Monitor | Vive Pro
ThreeDeeVision

Return to FlyInside General Discussion