feature request: Enhanced Interaction

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

feature request: Enhanced Interaction

Postby Dan K » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:50 pm

HI!

I just got FI:FSX running on my computer and have found it to be a great way to do basic VFR and pattern work at home. I am studying to take my IFR check ride later this month and attempted to use FI:FSX to simulate an approach. I ran into some difficulty when I tried to make use of the default G1000 equipped C172 when trying to hit all the buttons and turn the knobs related to the nav systems. I was able to navigate the G1000 and get it setup to my liking with a lot of patience but couldn't tune the CDI, Nav/ALT Bugs, CDI, or any other knob interface. With a few enhancements FI:FSX could be one of the best ways to practice an instrument Approach in Instrument meteorological conditions without shelling out the money needed to fly in a professional system.

To fix this, it would be really nice if:
- have an option to turn on target boxes around the buttons that are orthogonal to the pilot's POV similar to the 2D panel
- have the mouse icon change when over a button with a unique symbol for push and twist
- enable the middle mouse wheel to act as a 'smart' button that can control the rotation of knobs (may not be possible given the level of FSX integration on this one)
- the tool tip label was centered under the pointer rather than reaching to the right side of the screen and had a max width that would cause it to jump to a new line
- have a delay option that causes the the tool tip to not show up immediately
- have a feature the captures the mouse inside the window so you don't accidentally click around other applications. This could be disabled when the OCR leaves the field of view of the camera

Thanks for taking the time to make this awesome add on, I have all ready shown it off to a few others in my area.
Private Pilot: Single Engine Land, Instrument Rating Airplane (95% complete).
- Cirrus SR20 (G1000) - 110 Hours
- Cessna 172 (G1000 & Steam) - 10 hours

Computer: Intel i7-3770K, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660Ti, Windows 8.1, FSX Steam & Gold Editions
Dan K

Re: feature request: Enhanced Interaction

Postby admin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi Dan!

These are all great ideas, but I have certain limitations with the modification I can make to FSX input.

- have an option to turn on target boxes around the buttons that are orthogonal to the pilot's POV similar to the 2D panel -- I don't have a way of modifying hit-boxes at the moment
- have the mouse icon change when over a button with a unique symbol for push and twist -- Right now I try to respect FSX mouse icons, and this feature would be pretty complex to get working.
- enable the middle mouse wheel to act as a 'smart' button that can control the rotation of knobs (may not be possible given the level of FSX integration on this one) -- Unfortunately, not something really possible
- the tool tip label was centered under the pointer rather than reaching to the right side of the screen and had a max width that would cause it to jump to a new line -- Not a bad idea! in the mean-time, have you tried adjusting tooltip size?
- have a delay option that causes the the tool tip to not show up immediately -- Definitely like this idea a lot!
- have a feature the captures the mouse inside the window so you don't accidentally click around other applications. This could be disabled when the OCR leaves the field of view of the camera -- I'll be improving mouse pointer behavior quite a bit once I start finalizing virtual desktop behavior, so you'll find these accidental clicks fixed in future betas.

One thing you'll be able to do in the future, which may help, is open up the 2D panels and position them at convenient angles around the cockpit as virtual windows. This should aid in clickability quite a bit.

Glad you're enjoying the software, I'll be doing a lot to improve usability of the smaller controls and displays in the future :)
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Return to FlyInside General Discussion