Feature Request - Aircraft textures in Virtual Cockpit

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Feature Request - Aircraft textures in Virtual Cockpit

Postby ThreeDeeVision » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:19 pm

If I could add one thing right now it would be making sure the complete aircraft is rendered when I am in the virtual cockpit view. I have noticed a few missing noses and outer-body textures as I look around. This doesn't really come into play if I am sitting where I should be, but the missing noses are very obvious when landing and I sit up tall to look over the dash. I also like to stick my head out of the aircraft and look around sometimes.

Other than that, I couldn't really think of something else I would want, so whatever else you add is great to me :)
EVGA X99 Classified | i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Crucial Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan Xp | Win 10 64Bit | Asus ROG PG348Q G-Sync Monitor | Vive Pro
ThreeDeeVision

Re: Feature Request - Aircraft textures in Virtual Cockpit

Postby ThreeDeeVision » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:12 am

Along these same lines, if the clipping could be turned off or at least down for the cockpit textures, that would be a huge improvement. The clipping seems to be set pretty high when looking around the smaller cockpits and it is pretty easy to clip right through the walls and canopies.
EVGA X99 Classified | i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Crucial Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan Xp | Win 10 64Bit | Asus ROG PG348Q G-Sync Monitor | Vive Pro
ThreeDeeVision

Postby Sharkku » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:59 am

I agree with you on theses two points. Would be great if the whole aircraft could be rendered! I guess it's an optimizing feature, removing parts that wouldn't normally be visible when in the cockpit not moving around. But I also guess complete aircraft rendering could be turned back on. The question is how. Might even be available as a config tweak within FSX? Or maybe virtual cockpits are modeled completely separate from exteriors?

As for clipping through cockpit, I already brought it up with Dan. Guess there are more pressing matters to attend to before this... :)
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby MK84 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:06 pm

Isn't VC mesh separate than external mesh? ie for the exteriors to appear they have be modeled in the mesh itself?
Oculus Rift - HTC Vive - FSX SE - Prepar3D - X-Plane 11 - Windows 10 Pro - Intel i7-4790K - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - TM HOTAS Warthog - MFG Crosswind - Pro Flight Trainer PUMA
MK84

Postby admin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:03 pm

MK84 wrote:Isn't VC mesh separate than external mesh? ie for the exteriors to appear they have be modeled in the mesh itself?

This right here is the problem! FSX renders one or the other based upon your view, and I'd have to do some very deep hacking to change that. To top it off, I have a sneaking suspicion that not every cockpit fits perfectly into its external model.

Maybe an aspiring developer could create a utility that modifies aircraft by combining the two models into the internal view. I'm quite busy at the moment, but it's something I'll look into someday if nobody else does :)
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby Sharkku » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:36 am

Yeah, som of the vanilla cockpits are modeled rather sloppily, something that becomes very apparent when viewed in VR stereoscopically. They probably won't fit into their respective outer meshes!
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby ThreeDeeVision » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:04 am

I honestly wasn't too worried about it, it was one of those "wouldn't it be nice if..." that programmers always hear. As long as I am sitting where I should be, everything looks great.

I am betting the big difference between internal and external views is the dash and all the bells and whistles. No need to render all those from the external view.
ThreeDeeVision

Return to FlyInside General Discussion