Advise on VR flight sim experience

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Advise on VR flight sim experience

Postby jrendon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi There,

As per the subject I'm looking for some advise regarding flight simulation experience using VR technology.
I'm a real pilot not flying at the moment, i'm looking to use flight simulation as a platform to somehow keep me both engage and sharp as much as possible with the thrill of flying.
I'm planning to buy a computer just for flight sim stuff, initially was thinking to get 3 screens and track IR, but I came across VR headsets, leap motion, flyInside etc.. so now I'm not sure if I should go to the 3 screens path.
What I want is to use P3D v4.1 using orbx, pmdg, majestic,fs2crew,REX etc.. those high end flight sim apps in VR environment where I can practice VFR/IFR procedures on single/multiengine airplanes , multicrew ops using fs2crew combined with pmdg/majestic aircraft and leap motion to manipulate switches, fmc programming etc.

Has someone done anything similar? If so could you please share your experiences.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jorge.
jrendon

Re: Advise on VR flight sim experience

Postby Stevil » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi Jorge and welcome to the forum :)

Well, I think most of us (if not all!) will agree when I say: Once you go VR, you will never want to go back to an ordinary monitor! 8-) :D
I also came to VR when I was thinking about adding a 3rd monitor to my rig but I was afraid of the lack of performance (sum of pixels across all screens that needs to be rendered), the space on my desk and the reaction of my girlfriend to all of that :lol: And let me tell you that: I would always decide the same again!

Regarding the computer setup, the choice of the VR HMD or the flightsim platform: Feel free to ask any question. P3Dv4.1 with ORBX, REX and with most planes shouldn't be a problem. Integration with Leap Motion is a bit dependent from the airplane you are using...

Anyway: I can only recommend to go flying in VR...

Best regards
Stephan
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Postby teiva » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi Jorge,

I've been flying with VR for quite a while now and cannot go back to normal monitors. The immersion factor is incredible. FlyInside assists in the speed and smoothness of the output to the HMD.

Native VR support in flight sims is naturally the best rendering (DCS World, War Thunder, P3D, FyInsides own flight sim, Aerofly FS2, etc..)

I also have LeapMotion and love the FlyInsides implementation of virtual hands. Takes a little getting use to but it works quite well.

Some of the downsides to current VR is that you need a pretty hefty system to run VR. Also the resolution of the HMDs isn't terrific. I find myself using zoom a fair bit read some gauges etc.. You can increase the supersampling to achieve sharper images but then have to turn something else down to keep the framerates up.

Even with those negatives, I'd still recommend VR to flight simmers :)
teiva

Postby jrendon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:02 am

Thanks Steiva and Stephan for your feedback.
I've bought an i7 8700k 32Gb Ram,1080 8gb and ordered an oculus rift with leap motion. Seems to be a nice rig to go back to flight simming, a huge change compared with my old days flying fs98

Cheers.

Jorge
Last edited by jrendon on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrendon

Postby Tony » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:06 am

That setup should do you nicely :) any help with setting up and your experiences then let us know ;)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby teiva » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Very nice Jorge. These forums are pretty good for assistance so don't hesitate to post any questions or problems. Someone, somewhere on these forums will have experienced the same problem. Happy simming!!!
teiva

Return to FlyInside General Discussion