The ultimate hardware specs

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

The ultimate hardware specs

Postby SkyMan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:52 am

So I got my money saved and I'm ready for the ultimate PC for a smooth FSX/VR experience with Flyinside. I am hoping I get some advice on where to spend my money.
I am currently running Flyinside FSX on an ASUS Gaming A80CJ-DS51 VivoPC X, Oculus 1.2 runtime, GeForce GTX 1060, Core i5 7300HQ, 8GB, 1TB HDD, 4 x USB 3.1, and Windows 10 Home.

I should have a smooth experience but that is not the case since I have ORBX FTX, and UTX, a bunch of airport add-ons, and PMDG airplanes. So after all is loaded, my FPS gets to as low as 11-15 and 22-25 at best. I am following Kostas FSX configurations with 0 traffic, but still annoyingly low FPS where I keep getting kicked out of VR to the Flyinside main menu for few seconds, which is not good at take-off and landing.

Nonetheless, I'm ready to upgrade and I've read the Flyinside wiki Hardware and Performance recommendation pages, and bunch of threads on the topic. The Flyinside FSX performance configurations recommended are a bit too low for a rich experience and the hardware recommended seem similar to what I currently have, so I'm guessing they are a bit outdated. But I gathered that I should invest more on the CPU with decent speeds and 4 cores are enough, and I should have a decent GPU but not necessarily top of the line. So where to go from here? If I am ready to splurge get the best out there with a $5k budget, what should I get? I'm open to building my own PC as well.

Thanks,
Mustafa
SkyMan

Re: The ultimate hardware specs

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:09 am

Wow nice budget :) get the latest I7 processors. The ones with great single core performance and a great future proof mobo. ROG motherboards are fantastic. Latest ddr4 ram. A good solid high spec psu. Water cooling like the H110i or better. And of course a 1080ti. My biggest recommendation is research research and you guessed it, research :) let us know what you deciding before you purchase mate :)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby SkyMan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks Tony, like you said... I'm researching and so far I'm looking at the
- Processor: i7-8700 (coffee lake), I'm still trying to determine wether to get the K series for overclocking or not.
- GPU: 1080Ti for sure, can't wait for the Volta, and most probably it will be an overkill for FSX and even P3D v4
- Cooling: I am leaning towards Master Hyper 212 EVO (more research to do here)
- Disk 1: 500GB SSD for main partition and boot, and 2TB SATA
- RAM: 32G DDR4

Tons more research to do, I'm also contemplating going with a Digital Storm custom configured tower, but that might be a bit of an overkill, plus they're quite heavy to ship.
I'm also looking forward to the PiMax VR 8k headset to come out this year. Hooking it up to the new PC would be the ultimate VR experience :D I hope :)
will keep you posted...
SkyMan

Postby Greyman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:03 pm

I'd be careful about buying a GPU at the moment, as demand from bit-coin miners appears to have driven the prices up dramatically and they are now about twice the MRP.

It won't last forever, as the bubble will probably burst and then there might be a few cheap second hand GPUs for sale. :)
ASUS Hero VIII Motherboard, I7-6700K, EVGA GTX1080FTW, 48GB RAM, Windows 10
Oculus Rift/Touch
Warthog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind pedals
Greyman

Postby Omaniac » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:20 pm

I have the 8700K CPU, Asus strix Z370, 16 GB 3200 Ghz RAM and two GTX 970 in SLI. 850 W PSU.
I still struggle with performance. I can't run FI on the highest resolution. No way I'm getting 90 FPS in PMDG. 40-50 at most (the left FPS number).
Omaniac

Postby SkyMan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:07 am

I got a quote from Digital Storm at around $5.2k for a DS Lumos w/ i9-7900X (10-Core) overclocked up to 4.8GHz w/ Intel Turbo Boost Max Tech, 2x SLI Dual GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, ROG STRIX X299-E (Intel X299 Chipset), 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, 1000W Corsair HX1000i, 500GB SSD, 2TB Toshiba, Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler. I want to get 2 GPUs in anticipation for the Pimax 8k to run native resolution on each screen vs upscaling. I was told the i9-7900X gives each GPU its full lanes vs splitting available lanes like other processors.

I am still a bit skeptical given performance high-end PCs are getting like Omaniac's PC. I'd hate to fork out all that dow and end up with 40-50 FPS after addons & scenery, specially with the prices of GPUs at their highest now.
SkyMan

Postby Omaniac » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:54 am

Mine was around 2K USD as an upgrade. I kept one GTX 970, the PSU and the case from my old build.
For info, PMDG 737, P3Dv4 with medium to high settings, Orbx, REX Skyforce with AS as weather egnine, 2D with TrackIr, FPS around 60. Double that figure if I use one of the light prop aircraft included with P3Dv4.
I find it very hard to read the PFD and MAP displays in the PMDG aircraft with 3D FI.
Omaniac

Postby Tony » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:05 am

Hopefully we'll see better clarity with the next gen of headsets. Hopefully the cv2 will give us better clarity ? In the mean time have you tried the zoom function in FI? It does help greatly. Those pmdg aircraft are very fps heavy and when you add vr into the mix they struggle even on my 1080 and 6700k. Have you tried xp11 yet ? Whole different ballgame I know but the clarity seems much sharper. This is in FI and native VR but native has the downside of holding 45fps to get butter smooth if that makes sense ?
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Omaniac » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:46 am

Zoom improves readability somewhat, but the whole picture moves when you move your head. It feels weird.
There is one workaround that works well. If I use the PMDG HUD, the symbols get close enough for me to read.
I don’t think an earlier version of FI will cure the sliders problem.I just read the PMDG thread and people have been complaining about this issue since last year.
There is mention of some software that can be used to change how you interact with the swithes?
Omaniac

Postby barrybaldy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:53 am

Tony wrote:Wow nice budget :) get the latest I7 processors. The ones with great single core performance and a great future proof mobo. ROG motherboards are fantastic. Latest ddr4 ram. A good solid high spec psu. Water cooling like the H110i or better. And of course a 1080ti. My biggest recommendation is research research and you guessed it, research :) let us know what you deciding before you purchase mate :)

You just described my machine almost exactly and I get ~30fps with Orbx Global, Orbx Australia and the PMDG 737.

I don't think we're going to see decent framerates in airliners until something major happens with the sim.
barrybaldy

Return to FlyInside General Discussion