P3d V 4.3 Good News

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

P3d V 4.3 Good News

Postby brodie4598 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:33 am

I am finally happy enough with P3D native VR that I don't need FI anymore. Of course, FI has got a lot of features that are really handy, the performance in P3D is far superior to anything I have ever seen in FI and that alone has tipped the scales now that mouse interaction in P3D is better.

For example, my bring-the-sim-to-its-knees scenario is the PMDG 747, KLAX, weather and at night and I typically got such low FPS it was impossible to actually do in FI without starting to get nauseous. In P3D native, it's incredibly smooth - I dont even notice low FPS.

One thing I will say is at first I noticed very bad stutters. I turned FXAA on and it completely went away. Here are my settings

Screenshot_16.png
Screenshot_16.png (159.46 KiB) Viewed 8805 times

Cons of P3D
    Some 2D popups dont display in VR - think of the panels in the DC6, or A2A planes where you do things like load fuel, add pax etc.
    Mouse interaction could be better - if I right-click on a switch but it's not on top of the switch it opens the context menu but that's not visible in VR
    No importable windows - I used to print a tripkit of charts and my flight plan as a PDF and import it into FI but it's honestly been so long since I did that I dont really worry. I keep reading the Oculus has a tool that can bring windows in like FI does but I've not tried it yet.
    Small things - FI has some great features that I will miss but at this point the greatly increased performance is enough to counter the missing features.
brodie4598

Re: P3d V 4.3 Good News

Postby malexdu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:42 am

Glad your happy brodie4598, but we have not seen what the FI team will give us. I am going to reserve judgement until the next update. Importing pages into the cockpit is essential for some. Would be encouraging to know the 4.3 compatibility release date though!
Malexdu

Win 10 (64 bit) / i7-8700K @ 5.0 mhz / 32mb RAM / Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti / P3Dv4.5 / HP Reverb Pro Headset /AS & ASCA /Flyinside P3D4 1.98 / Too much Orbx Scenery /
malexdu

Postby brettt » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks for the detailed feedback on the native implementation.

I do have one question with regards to the new features and the scenery library. Does 4.3 allow you to make profiles where only certain scenery are selected and loaded. In example, could I select a profile for an airliner that doesn't load in all the small GA airports if I was going to fly the Q400?

With regards to FI with P3D V4.3. It sure would be nice to have some acknowledgement that it is being worked on with a rough expectation for release or if it is on the back burner due to other priorities

Kind Regards,

Brett
brettt

Postby brendanhallett » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:45 am

After reading this I thought I'd try the native VR in P3D v4.3. I've never used the native VR in P3D so didn't know what to expect.

My experience was that it was much worse. Moving my head around saw the display stutter and not keep up, FPS was low when in the PMDG 737 at FlyTampas Sydney scenery. Within a couple of minutes it was starting to give me a headache.

I'm staying with FlyInside at the moment.

Regards
Brendan
brendanhallett

Postby michaelth » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:43 am

I had about 2 fps less with native VR. Also, very difficult to use for me since I always fly with ProAtc and Active Sky: I need the menus.

Michael
Michael Thesen

P3D v4, Active Sky, ProAtc, Oculus Rift, MSI Mortar B150M, NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD, Win7 64bit, i7-6700k 4.0GHz, 32Gb RAM, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
michaelth

Postby malexdu » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:50 am

Flyinside wins against native VR in P3D v4.3 imo. The ability to import vPilot and other documents into the cockpit is essential for me, plus the interaction with the cockpit is very much easier in FI.

P3D lets you now view cockpit panels in the cockpit by clicking on them as a pop up,this is new in v 4.3, but third party pages cannot be brought into the cockpit, nor can you view the kneeboard as this technically is not a panel.

So for the more serious simmers out there my recommendation is stick with FI. The one advantage P3D VR has is better graphics ...things do seem a little clearer and crisper. With Flyinside with v1.95 you can now use SSAA settings to reduce shimmer (P3D Grahics menu option) and FI will not reset this at startup as it used to :) .

Performance with P3D v4.3 is improved in VR regardless of what interface you choose.
Malexdu

Win 10 (64 bit) / i7-8700K @ 5.0 mhz / 32mb RAM / Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti / P3Dv4.5 / HP Reverb Pro Headset /AS & ASCA /Flyinside P3D4 1.98 / Too much Orbx Scenery /
malexdu

Postby Robert » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:26 am

It certainly wins if you are running with the gen 1 headsets, but not if you have the Vive Pro or Samsung Odyssey and a computer powerful enough to push the pixels.

When you try the ugraded resolution in these new headsets in a flight sim, you'll see why it’s important. It’s a huge difference because the increase in resolution is right where it’s most useful.

It’s amazing to me that FlyInside in not supporting the new headsets. Anyone with them says the same thing - big difference - and more and more on the P3D boards are dropping FlyInside for the same reason. It’s too bad because FlyInside has some very handy features, but since I’ve been forced to choose, I’ve mostly stopped using it as well.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby malexdu » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:07 pm

I have the Vive gen 1 headset...haven't taken the plunge on the pro...yet...waiting for FI to support and also the price to ease off a little.
Malexdu

malexdu

Return to FlyInside General Discussion