Considering a computer upgrade specifically for Flyinside..?

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Considering a computer upgrade specifically for Flyinside..?

Postby paradoxbox » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi all

I have been a longtime Flyinside user, first FSX and recently I bought the P3D version.

Let's just say I have been pretty underwhelmed with the results I've been having in P3D. I don't think that it's Flyinside's fault, though it crashes a little more often than I would like, the software itself seems capable enough or I wouldn't have bought it again.

I am having awful performance especially in my favorite aircraft - Lear 35, Kingair B200, A2A aircraft and once in a while the FSLabs Concorde and PMDG 747/777.

In 2D mode I get frame rates of over 30 pretty much all the time with sliders at medium-high.

In VR I get OK framerates sometimes, but the microstuttering is HORRIBLE and Flyinside is constantly popping me out to the "Waiting for simulator" dialog. Every few seconds it happens, especially on takeoffs and landings. It's completely unusable.

I'm guessing my specs are not enough to make it work well in P3D, though it worked pretty nicely in FSX.

I am -considering- upgrading either the CPU and MOBO, OR the graphics card, but not both at the same time ($$$). If I upgrade the GPU it will be to 1080TI which costs over $1,000 in Canada so this is not a very light decision for me.

At the moment in P3D V3 my CPU is pretty much never maxed out but my graphics card sometimes does get close to max GPU usage and ram usage. I run P3D V3 and V4, but with V3 I turn off core0 affinity to keep frame rates high.

Current specs:
i5 3570 3.40ghz - not overclocked yet
Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 motherboard
Geforce GTX 1060 3gb graphics card
16GB ram (Can't remember frequency but it's mid-upper range)
650w PSU
VR headset is an Oculus Rift CV1 with 2 sensors and touch controllers.
Considering adding Leapmotion if I can get things working a bit more smoothly, would sure be nice in analog cockpits..

Installation is on an HDD, would like to move it to an SSD someday (I have several) but the stutters do not appear to be caused by disk activity as things are beautifully smooth in 2D and on checking resource manager disk activity is low while flying.

Advice?
paradoxbox

Re: Considering a computer upgrade specifically for Flyinsid

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:58 am

The card is the weak point here mate, its a 1060 yes but only the 3gb version, this will struggle in VR, ask here when you upgrade and we will give advice but a 1080 non ti is good, that is what I use until my 2080ti arrives next month.
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Return to FlyInside General Discussion