Settings Question

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Settings Question

Postby severniae » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:14 am

Hi All,

I'm in the pursuit of clarity - since switching back to the big tubeliners (PMDG 747 in particular) I'm finding that I'm needing a better and clearer image to view things, such as text on the screens.

Whilst its generally OK, I wanted to see if I'm doing it right, and optimally..

First my spec: I've got a Nvidia GTX 1080Ti, coupled with a Intel i5 8600k overclocked to 4.8 Ghz. Simulator of choice is P3D v4.4

I run with medium-low graphics settings, and very few sceneries (Just orbx global and some regions) I don't bother with airports as they tend to induce stutters, and prefer smoothness.

I've lately been running with the Oculus resolution set to 1x, and ssaa 4x with FXAA on. It looks OK but there are times I wonder if things are really as clear as they should be. I tried upping the Oculus resolution in settings up to 1.2x, and it had a small impact on frames but more annoyingly was the occasional stutter this introduced.

I read the guide on the wiki and it suggests using the highest oculus resolution multiplier possible with MSAA, and I wondered what most other people are doing here to get a good mix of clarity/smoothness? Is SSAA & High multiplier a bad option, and would it be better to use high multiplier with MSAA, or am I doing it right already?

Help appreciated.

James
severniae

Re: Settings Question

Postby blueshark747 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:03 pm

severniae wrote:Hi All,

I'm in the pursuit of clarity - since switching back to the big tubeliners (PMDG 747 in particular) I'm finding that I'm needing a better and clearer image to view things, such as text on the screens.

Whilst its generally OK, I wanted to see if I'm doing it right, and optimally..

First my spec: I've got a Nvidia GTX 1080Ti, coupled with a Intel i5 8600k overclocked to 4.8 Ghz. Simulator of choice is P3D v4.4

I run with medium-low graphics settings, and very few sceneries (Just orbx global and some regions) I don't bother with airports as they tend to induce stutters, and prefer smoothness.

I've lately been running with the Oculus resolution set to 1x, and ssaa 4x with FXAA on. It looks OK but there are times I wonder if things are really as clear as they should be. I tried upping the Oculus resolution in settings up to 1.2x, and it had a small impact on frames but more annoyingly was the occasional stutter this introduced.

I read the guide on the wiki and it suggests using the highest oculus resolution multiplier possible with MSAA, and I wondered what most other people are doing here to get a good mix of clarity/smoothness? Is SSAA & High multiplier a bad option, and would it be better to use high multiplier with MSAA, or am I doing it right already?

Help appreciated.

James

Unfortunately anything over 1X will induce even more horrible stutters when looking at ground scenery.
FSX already has a minor ground stutter after 391 drivers.
So yea thats as good as it gets for clarity unfortunately.
Devs have been informed of this plenty of times and they don't seem to have the solution and no its not antivirus or GPU software causing it.
So its best to leave FSX at whatever settings Flyinside changes it too..and to also leave Flyinside settings default.
Sorry
blueshark747

Return to FlyInside General Discussion