Oculus and Steam Together?

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Oculus and Steam Together?

Postby Johnny_Dioxin » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:16 am

Would it work okay if I have both the SteamVR and Oculus versions installed on the same FSX?

Don't want any cross-contamination.
Johnny_Dioxin

Re: Oculus and Steam Together?

Postby Tony » Sat May 02, 2020 2:22 pm

Good question, I never tried...Do you have different HMD's mate?
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Johnny_Dioxin » Sat May 02, 2020 4:02 pm

I have Rift CV1, Quest and Index. Since release of Index, I've been using that - but i did a test with Quest which didn't go well, probably because I forgot there are separate installers for Oculus and SteamVR.

I have now installed both but have not yet tested due to a foot having ballooned up so big I can't use my pedals.

When I have had a go I will post the results.
Johnny_Dioxin

Postby Tony » Sat May 02, 2020 4:32 pm

As a paramedic in the real world....is it a sprain or a fracture mate? Like to make sure people are ok ;)
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Johnny_Dioxin » Sun May 03, 2020 9:34 am

Fibromyalgia - already on bioligcal treatment and 170mg morphine a day and it's still bloody painful. The foot is balled up permanently anyway due to spinal nerve damage from a work accident. What caused it to balloon up is a mystery, though it could be a number of things including an allergic reaction. I'm on some meds that I am allergic to, but the side effects are not as bad as the illness I take the meds for. Yup - my body is totally messed up! Ya get used to it...

Okay - just tested it and all works very well together - it's just a case of making sure that whichever headset you don't want to use won't be detected - which is easy with my set-up.

Quest with Link in FSX/Fly Inside is very good - though not as sharp as Index due to the OLED SDE, but well within the acceptable range - better than CV1 and imho there's no reason why someone who wants VR but wants the independance of a Quest should be put off if they are willing to plug it in for the PC sim flying. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work wirelessly with Virtual Desktop.

Index is good, of course, but have to use the appropriate Fly Inside shortcut - I actually found that Quest/Oculus used the settings I had already made for Index/Steam - which is great as it means less setting up and configging.
I unplug CV1 when using Index as things can get confused (use a USB extension for the headset cable just for this purpose).

The only bad thing is that for Quest, Touch has to be enabled to start up with Link, but that means I'm stuck with them in Fly Inside and I'd rather not as I find them a pain to use in the menus in particular, but prefer to use the gaze control in any case. Would be great to have the option in FI to switch them off after starting - or even on starting. I've never got on with using the VR controllers in FSX or P3D.
Johnny_Dioxin

Postby Tony » Sun May 03, 2020 6:41 pm

I have a Reverb and bever use the crappy hand controllers, I just take the batteries out so they are not seen....would that work in your case mate?

170mg, thats a damn lot :(
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Johnny_Dioxin » Mon May 04, 2020 1:14 pm

Might do, I did wonder - I'll give it a try next time.

Yes, they won't let me have any more morphine, though I do have oramorph as a 'top-up' for when things get too much. Often wish I could go back to when I first started on morphine - 5 microgramme/hr patches and I felt like a newborn - I actually danced around the bedroom the first morning I got up after starting those patches, with the biggest grin on my face. I'm just happy to have had that feeling again after years of problems, even if it was about 12 years ago. Oh well, things could be a lot worse :)
Johnny_Dioxin

Postby Johnny_Dioxin » Sat May 09, 2020 4:06 pm

Well here's an update - it doesn't work. Not in the intended way, anyway.

In order to be able to use both a SteamVR headset such as Index and an Oculus one on the same PC with a single sim installation I have to reinstall whichever one I want to use.

So, say today I use my Index - the Steam/Vive version needs to be installed - goes without saying. Next day I want to use Quest (with Link), so I have to install the Oculus version of Fly Inside. However, I don't need to reactivate it - the single activation is valid for both versions, as long as I don't actually uninstall FlyInside, the activation is good.

Next day I want to use Index again - but I can't use it, because whichever version was last installed overwrites the config - so FI will try and start whichever code was last installed - Steam or Oculus. As I had used my Quest yesterday, I now have to reinstall the Steam/Vive version to use my Index today.

It sounds more hassle than it is. Though I was disappointed about not being able to have both on the go at once, it makes sense this way. Just run the installer before starting the sim and you're fine. The config remains unmolested, so your assigned buttons and set-up for FlyInside are constant and as mentioned, no reactivation necessary.
So it works well enough :)
Johnny_Dioxin

Postby Tony » Sat May 09, 2020 10:38 pm

Can you not save both .ini files under appdata/roaming/flyinside mate ? Then swap in and out as needed?

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Return to FlyInside General Discussion