Any success using Leap motion

Share your experiences (or not) with Leap Motion

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Any success using Leap motion

Postby cpignol » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Hi,

X-plane 10 Oculus Rift and Leap Motion. Try to use Leap Motion to fly a 172SP.
Adjusting the throttle for example is very difficult. The hand detection is not precise and reliable enough
to do a quick adjustment. During the landing phase for example any adjustment of the power needs to be quick and precise
without having to focus on your virtual hand trying to find the throttle lever.
I finally give up and use the throttle lever on the Yoke.
Claude
cpignol

Re: Any success using Leap motion

Postby gcbraun » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:20 pm

Bought and just used it once. Hopefully it will become more useful with time.
Intel 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - GTX 1080 Ti 11gb - 32Gb RAM - 2tb SSD
Windows 10 - Oculus Rift CV1 (Flyinside)
Prepar3D v3.4 / X-Plane 11
gcbraun

Postby ScarletA » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:03 am

LM is useless with throttle, spedbrakes, flaps levers etc. IMO
It's quite convenient to use with switches and knobs as far as they're easy accessible (not hidden under some other stuff like yoke etc.).
GA planes with simple dashboard are good example. Even then some switches do not respond to touch (they are clickable with mouse though).
Some planes do not work with LM at all, flightfactor 777 for example.
I will use my LM with smaller planes anyway. Smaller planes with bigger gauges are also more Rift friendly.
Rift's resolution is not sufficcient for glass cockpits IMO.
ScarletA

Postby teiva » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:50 pm

I find the LM too imprecise to use practically. The next step for LM when it comes to flight sims is to have a proper gloves with tactile feedback. I agree about the resolution of the HMDs. It's early days when it comes to VR resolution. ATM 4K headsets are impractical only because current GPUs aren't fast enough to provide a smooth experience. The current resolution of the Rift and Vive is too low. Thank god for Flyinside's zoom feature. Maybe in a few years they'll be powerful enough. I have a multigpu (AMD) setup for my VR and I wish more devs would implement this tech. You can certainly tell when it's being used. Serious Sam is a perfect example of a good implementation. Flyinside are doing a great job in a new and immerging industry that's slowly being dragged towards mainstream. Keep up the good work devs!!
teiva

Postby theself » Mon May 01, 2017 3:36 pm

I was considering getting the leap motion controller for X Plane use (much prefer to FSX as a real world pilot) combined with my HTC Vive and flyinside- but this is somewhat off putting.. has any progress been made since the last post? Any of the latest feedback wil be appreciated..Regarding HMD resolution actually the Pimax 4K at half the HTC Vive Price (since it has no controllers or tracking base stations) yet more than twice the resolution produces a higher resolution VR experience (to see gauges/writing in more detail) and is perfect for a seated VR experience (which all flight sim experiences are) and according to the following review decent enough frame rates without motion sickness are still capable with average PCs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvl_15UNFYU (otherwise if your gear can handle it- up your super sampling rate to 2.0 for a sharper image with your Vive, Oculus etc. Can the LM controller be plugged into the Vive's spare USB and work properly without having to connect it via the stock 15 ft cable connected to your PC directly? Thank you for any feedback
Last edited by theself on Mon May 01, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theself

Postby katiemcneil » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:50 pm

I wanted to follow up on this topic and see if any progress has been made with Leap Motion's ability to interact with the controls in the cockpit, specifically the throttle. Any updates? Tips and tricks?

edit: for the project I am working on, we are using p3d and don't have an option to change to something else.
Last edited by katiemcneil on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katiemcneil

Postby theself » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:12 pm

+1 re flyinside/leap motion in XP11.. or indeed leap motion in new native VR beta with XP11..
theself

Postby zeddock » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:54 pm

It looks like there is not anyone looking at this thread to offer support.

I am on Oculus, XP11 and have had some success at flying a Cessna 150 from Carendo (sp?)

The controls do not seem to be mapped out yet. I looked at the FlyInside Annotator to find my aircraft is not listed.

I believe those of you who do not have control well enough from the Leap are suffering from the same issue; someone needs to Annotate the controls for better control... at least on XP11.

zeddock
zeddock

Postby theself » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:18 pm

zeddock wrote:It looks like there is not anyone looking at this thread to offer support.

I am on Oculus, XP11 and have had some success at flying a Cessna 150 from Carendo (sp?)

The controls do not seem to be mapped out yet. I looked at the FlyInside Annotator to find my aircraft is not listed.

I believe those of you who do not have control well enough from the Leap are suffering from the same issue; someone needs to Annotate the controls for better control... at least on XP11.

zeddock

yes please flyinisde/leap motion- would really like to be able to use my hands/fingers efficiently in XP11 etc
theself

Postby LG40000 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:06 pm

I've spent several hours now using the LM tool with Flyinside Simulator and though it has promise it's still not practical. FlyInside's VR menu is almost impossible to use with LM interaction, and depending on the type of button or lever in the interface it's very hard to control. Some part of the issue is that the sensor is mounted on the VR headset so does not have a static point of reference. Is there a way the unit can be mounted in front of the play area so it can always see your hands and put them solidly within the confines of the VR cockpit? Certain key features like throttle, engine mix and hand brake which are used frequently are troublesome to the point I stopped using it.

Love the idea though, and would like to see a better deployment of the technology. I'd be happy to invest in a better solution!
LG40000

Return to Leap motion Discussion