PAPI/VASI/Runway Lighting

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

PAPI/VASI/Runway Lighting

Postby Goromo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:01 am

Hi,
Ive seen a few requests for help regarding the size of vasi / papi lights.
If you copy these few lines into the Flyinside config file in the [Display] section it reduces the size and "bloom" of the lights, the vasi lights look much better, and are more or less about "scale" size.
It works for me on my system with UK2000 and default airports, not sure if it works for every airport, but I'm guessing it might.
[DISPLAY]
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.2

As I said it works for me, might not for everyone but I thought I'd post it anyway. I found this somewhere on the internet years ago as a fix for the bloom in FSX Runway lighting and thought I'd give it a try in FI to see if it worked, so I don't claim any credit for it just something I found.

Cheers,

Rick.
System: i7 7700k, @ 5.0ghz, 32gb RAM, GTX 1080, Samsung 960 EVO NVME 500 GB x2, 2TB HDD,Win 10 64 bit
GoFlight Yoke, Saitek TQ, MFG Rudder Pedals, several Goflight modules. Home Cockpit.
VR: Oculus Rift CV1..
SIM: P3D version 4.3
Goromo

Re: PAPI/VASI/Runway Lighting

Postby WebMaximus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:39 am

This is a great idea and will try it out.

Thanks for sharing!
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Postby Britjet » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:08 am

An excellent tip -and works well for me. I actually increased the scalar to 0.5 which seemed to work better for me.
Perhaps this could be a permanent addition with FI, Dan?
Brit.
Britjet

Postby WebMaximus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Haven't had the time to test this yet and just want to confirm the file where this should go is prepar3d_FlyInside.cfg, correct?

Also I guess this might work best and possibly only for stock airports or payware airports using the default lights or am I missing something?
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Postby Tony » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:39 pm

I thought this would have to go in the p3d.cfg? But I might be wrong ;)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby WebMaximus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:04 pm

The way I understood it (and IIRC someone confirmed this in the past) FlyInside will create its own cfg file for P3D and FSX. This is the file FlyInside will then use and thus the file you want to edit for FI to see the changes.

But just like you say I might be wrong :lol:

Hopefully some from dev can comment on this.

Edited to add I just compared the normal Prepar3D.cfg file to the one created by FI and the latter has HDR=0 while the first one has HDR=1 so that in a way confirms what I say above I guess.
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Postby WebMaximus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:15 pm

Would also be interesting to know if this is supposed to work for any version of FSX/P3D because I know looking at P3D for instance the lights have changed between versions.

I also read some people talking about the halo.bmp file and how you need to replace that file in order for this kind of "fix" to work but this is not mentioned in here so guess that is not the case...?
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Postby Goromo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:11 am

Hi,
Just to confirm, I put it in the prepar3d_FlyInside.cfg. Works OK for me there, and wont effect the 2D version of P3D that way.
Think it probably works in all versions. As I said I found it years ago when looking for a fix for FSX.
Cheers,
Rick.
System: i7 7700k, @ 5.0ghz, 32gb RAM, GTX 1080, Samsung 960 EVO NVME 500 GB x2, 2TB HDD,Win 10 64 bit
GoFlight Yoke, Saitek TQ, MFG Rudder Pedals, several Goflight modules. Home Cockpit.
VR: Oculus Rift CV1..
SIM: P3D version 4.3
Goromo

Postby Tony » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:17 am

Cheers for that Rick ;)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby WebMaximus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:47 am

Goromo wrote:Hi,
Just to confirm, I put it in the prepar3d_FlyInside.cfg. Works OK for me there, and wont effect the 2D version of P3D that way.
Think it probably works in all versions. As I said I found it years ago when looking for a fix for FSX.
Cheers,
Rick.

Thanks for sharing Rick and you didn't replace any file(s) such as the halo.bmp file other people mentioned in relation to these modifications in the cfg file?
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Next

Return to P3D Bug Reporting Here