Stuttering Mess

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Stuttering Mess

Postby Tony » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Great to know for me and others, cheers mate :)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby fenflame » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:36 pm

bobr wrote:Wow, thanks for that info fenflame. I was getting terrible performance and trying many different fixes, but your solution cleared it all right up. Things are butter smooth now, even in a pmdg 737 at EHAM with full UTL traffic and lots of clouds in the sky.

You are welcome :) Glad it worked out. Those drivers are a PITA. To be honest, its worth looking at release notes of new drivers to see if anything that's been added is actually useful to us. Most of us have our machines are optimized for flying in VR and the rule "if it aint broke don't try to fix it" rings very true when it comes to drivers. If there are specific new driver functions that a new version FI taps in to, Dan would let everyone know on its release. Occasionally Nvidia do some random D3D optimizations or some low level optimisations and those drivers are worth checking out.

Generally the driver updates just contain optimizations for the latest teen 3D shoot em up. What that does is add code bulk to the driver that's of no use to us. All the fluff like the 'experience' app is also useless to us. It just adds more stuff sitting in the background using resources.

For me the more worrying piece is the direction Oculus are starting to go.
Win10-64, i7-4790K OC to 4.7GHZ, 16GB DDR3, EVGA GTX1070 8GB OC, 1 Monitor , CV1, Saitek Rudder Pedals, CH Eclipse Yoke, P3DV4.5
FI P3DV4 Beta Tester. FlyInside Moderator.
fenflame

Postby fenflame » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:52 pm

bobr wrote:Wow, thanks for that info fenflame. I was getting terrible performance and trying many different fixes, but your solution cleared it all right up. Things are butter smooth now, even in a pmdg 737 at EHAM with full UTL traffic and lots of clouds in the sky.

Another thing that's often true Bob, if you are getting good numbers like 40/90 or even 35/90 and the right number stays at or slightly above 90 and you have stutter issues, its usually not a FI related problem. The trouble is FI is the interface we have to the program and its 3D world, if there's an issue, its common to shoot the messenger....in this case FI.
The symptoms you had are very typical of a driver issue when the numbers remained good.
When the right number drops below 90 (with ASW of) the left number usually jumps up at the same time, that's typically a resource problem. Settings too high, one processor core maxed out (usually core 0), bottlenecks in the GPU. Basically a hardware horsepower problem. I've made posts detailing how to optimize the cpu when you start P3D. Even though its 64 bit now, it still doesn't do a brilliant job of spreading the work around the cores, but you can force it to manage itself better once its up and running and it will be great for the whole time you have the app running. you can't really use affinity masking like in FSX because you don't always know which core its going to load up to 100%.
Win10-64, i7-4790K OC to 4.7GHZ, 16GB DDR3, EVGA GTX1070 8GB OC, 1 Monitor , CV1, Saitek Rudder Pedals, CH Eclipse Yoke, P3DV4.5
FI P3DV4 Beta Tester. FlyInside Moderator.
fenflame

Postby bobr » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:05 pm

Good points, fenflame, about the driver release notes. I usually don't update immediately and was still not even on to the 390.XX version when I was having issues, but a high 388.XX version. Things are great now, even with DL on most of the time. The PMDG 747 is really the only time I have to tone things down slilghtly. That and flying in SoCal.

I'm not one to assume any particular party to be at fault when I run into problems like this. My first thought, really, is that I don't have my system set up properly and need to find the right solution -- usually the case. For VR problems, I'm going to come here looking for solutions since this is where the bulk of information is, especially since I'm not using native VR. I get that people often just expect things to work right out of the box, so to speak, and want to start pointing fingers when things aren't going smoothly. Most games and apps likely give people that luxury, but this simply has never been the case for MSFS/FSX/P3D.
Intel 6850k@ 4.3GHz - 64GB DDR4 - 2x GTX 1080 in SLI - Acer Predator 2k Monitor - Rift HMD - CH Yoke - Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle - Saitek Pedals
Windows 10 - P3Dv4.1 - A great many addons
bobr

Previous

Return to P3D Bug Reporting Here