Z-Fighting

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Z-Fighting

Postby michaelth » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:41 am

Hovering a helicopter along the apron or taxiway causes z-fighting in certain sceneries (i.e. JustSim EDDL): when turning the head, the default ground texture suddenly flickers through. This problem exists only in VR (both FlyInside and P3D native). It is not caused by a ClipMode Setting, as is can also be seen in outside views. Is there any chance for a cure?

Michael
Michael Thesen

P3D v4, Active Sky, ProAtc, Oculus Rift, MSI Mortar B150M, NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD, Win7 64bit, i7-6700k 4.0GHz, 32Gb RAM, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
michaelth

Re: Z-Fighting

Postby admin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi Michael,

If Prepar3D cannot handle it in native VR, it may be an inherent issue with the system and something that either Lockheed or the scenery developer needs to correct. The wider field-of-view used by VR can exacerbate z-fighting for closely placed polygons (I may be mixing up the exact cause but the general concept applies). That said it's worth a look, maybe we can fix it. Are there other sceneries you're seeing this with, and are they all add-ons?

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Re: Z-Fighting

Postby michaelth » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:16 am

Dan,

so far, I have only seen it with addons. In case of JustSim EDDL, ORBX Germany North lies under it. Aerosoft ENVA shows it to a minor extent together with ORBX Norway. The flicker depends on the view angle and can be very disturbing. Yesterday, I have upgraded to the latest Nvidia driver - it did not help. It would be great if you could cure it.

In general I must say that FlyInside is so much better than native VR.

Thank you,
Michael
Michael Thesen

P3D v4, Active Sky, ProAtc, Oculus Rift, MSI Mortar B150M, NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD, Win7 64bit, i7-6700k 4.0GHz, 32Gb RAM, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
michaelth

Return to P3D Bug Reporting Here