Your settings for X-plane

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Your settings for X-plane

Postby davidlr » Fri May 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi Tony,

Does it work flawlessly for you mate ?

Yes, pretty much. I would like more detail further out, but that's a price I am happy to pay for the resolution. I am hoping that any further performance improvements XP/FI might allow me to claw that back.

I do wonder, though, whether Vive and Rift users are getting hit with differing artefacts. I think I am pretty stable at the moment with my set up - luckily.
HTC Vive i7-5820K GTX 1080 Ti SC Win 10 Home 16GB
davidlr

Postby Noctumus » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:40 am

davidlr wrote:... I typically fly the Carenado F33A wth REP (latest for XP11), Airfoil Labs C172, and FF 757 V2 ...

Hey David,
I noticed you're using the AFL c172 with Flyinside. Do your cockpit work as intended? Mine has its activation areas for every button out of place and some are completely impossible to find! This is making that plane impossible to use properly.

If your stuff works as intended, do you mind if you could give me your setting files or something so I can solve this?
Noctumus

Postby davidlr » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:29 pm

If your stuff works as intended, do you mind if you could give me your setting files or something so I can solve this?

Hi

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.. am currently travelling. By and large I can use the AFl Cessna 172's controls. The activation areas are not too far out for me for the controls I don't have mapped to my joystick/throttle. They are not perfect but not bad. The only one I recall that seems significantly out of place is the parking brake. I don't have access to my files at present. However, have you tried deleting your FIPlane.prf in Output\Preferences and letting it rebuild on next launch? Take a backup copy first so you can put it back if necessary.

David
davidlr

Postby Noctumus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:14 am

davidlr wrote:

Hi

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.. am currently travelling. By and large I can use the AFl Cessna 172's controls. The activation areas are not too far out for me for the controls I don't have mapped to my joystick/throttle. They are not perfect but not bad. The only one I recall that seems significantly out of place is the parking brake. I don't have access to my files at present. However, have you tried deleting your FIPlane.prf in Output\Preferences and letting it rebuild on next launch? Take a backup copy first so you can put it back if necessary.

David

Thank you David! I didn't know about that file and will absolutely try that out, as something is apparently more wrong than for others like yourself.
Hopefully that'll do the trick, and will get back when I've tried that.

Thanks again
Noctumus

Postby theskyisthelimit99 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:47 am

davidlr wrote:Hi Tony,

For XP11 11.01r

HDR on

No antialiasing - either within XP or FI. Everything else within FI pretty standard except resolution.

Resolution set to 5120 2880, ie 5K, within the settings_pro_FlyinsideXP_settings.ini file. This hammers my system but gives really good (sharp) resolution on cockpit and scenery (Ortho4XP see below). It is also the reason I can get away with no AA. I have had to tweak the graphics setting to compensate in order to give me fps in the 20s - see pic below (I use XP11SettingsTool); I obviously get faster fps with clearer weather but also with dusk/dawn flights. I have tried a resolution of 4080 2295 in oder to get better perofrmance but the graphics realism at the higher setting is too good to lose. I typically fly the Carenado F33A wth REP (latest for XP11), Airfoil Labs C172, and FF 757 V2

Using SkyMaxx Pro v4 in lieu of XEnviro. I actually find that I can tweak it to be faster than the default. I will try XEnviro again when they next update it. Have got both XEnviro 1.04 and 1.06 working - the latter works for me with HDR - but I don't like the clouds.

Ortho4XP scenery - typically ZL=18 around airports with a base of ZL=17 for tiles in strong areas of interest or ZL=16 for all other (typically transit areas)

Hyperthreading on my i7-5820K set off - despite Ben Supnik of X-Plane suggesting leave it on. On my system, so far, it is more stable and faster with it off. I might try HT on again when 11.02r is out.

I am happy with the set up so far. Would like better performance but do not want to sacrifice the graphics quality. I constantly cross compare with P3D, Aerofly FS2, and DCS. The latter have, for me at least, really great and fast graphics, and are the graphics benchmarks for XP and P3D.

David

Decided to give this a try on 11.1b4.. i think the shimmering is reduced at that higher resolution, but not enough though.. its still a mess.. granted i'm using the worst absolute scenario in my test.. DD NYCX (and the just flight piper III)..

Under the normal 3840 res, if i leave AA off.. its horrid.. using 5120 its marginally better.. with still low frames in this area.. say 24.. throughout all testing I have found that AA of 4X is the only way to be decently shimmer free,but nowhere near aerofly "standards".. in mine i dont have ortho turned on (just for these tests, you get more sharp edges, buildings, though with ortho i use the overlay).

When you fly with your settings and ortho are you using an overlay.. i'd imagine with no overlay it probably is decently shimmer free at any setting.

For most areas outside of these beats of cities, the 4x sim and disabled AA in FI is probably my combo ill use, unless there is some other miracle combo or maybe a NI profile option i may be missing.
Note my overdraw is at 103 and world scale of 90%.
Z170-a | SL Delid 6700k 4.7 1.402-0.008LLC6(vcore=1.44) | F4-3200C15D-16GVK @1.40 at 3466 | TT 3.0 Riing | Thermaltake v51 | Evga 1080FTW Hybrid Water(43c p3d) | Rift | Leap | CH Yoke/Pedals | P3D v3.4.14 and Aerofly FS2 (evo SSD)/XP10(std sata)
Flight-Stew | Tech-Stew
theskyisthelimit99

Postby davidlr » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:22 am

When you fly with your settings and ortho are you using an overlay.. i'd imagine with no overlay it probably is decently shimmer free at any setting.

Yes, I have been using overlays with ortho4xp. I have now moved away from XP11, aside from trying updates, for the moment at least. I have found that there seem to be too many variables on my system to tweak (I have the Vive). So with NVidia updates, SteamVR updates and the various sim updates, and with various combinations of resolution and AA settings with each of these it has been proving a distraction for me. Currently, I am finding that native VR in P3d v4.1 works best for me. I have the resolution I seek (really does look good in VR) and the performance on my system is pretty good. The 4.1 update has provided usable (not good) mouse control. Lighting (day and night) looks pretty good. Orbx scenery looks great and I have good weather with Active Sky. I just can't seem to get anywhere near this with XP11 at the moment; I am running the betas. I have a lot of time invested in the ortho and I really want it to work but performance is hopeless. I now have the settings cranked down and I cannot get fps above the mid teens. This gives me "slow motion" flight and really is hopeless. Everyone is different in what they seek. I have seen what good graphics resolution can look like and don't want to sacrifice this. P3D graphics is looking as good as (in some instances better than) Aerofly FS2 and its performance is surprisingly good - probably SteamVR Vive and NVidia updates have helped with this. I just hope I can get somewhere near that with XP some day.
davidlr

Postby nils16 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi

I came across this Video on Youtube:
https://youtu.be/iOmp9u9s0Ds

It increased my framerate from 28FPS to stable 45FPS.
I use it with HTC Vive and newest XP11 BETA. Amazing improvement!
CPU INTEL Core i7-7700K - GPU ZOTAC GF GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME 8GB on latest driver - RAM HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB (2x 8GB) Mobo ASUS STRIX Z270F GAMING - Drive 1TB SSD for XPLANE only OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane 11
HTC Vive
nils16

Previous

Return to General forum *Discontinued* 25th Jan 2019