[Solved]Oculus Rift 2.0 (Beta) with xplane problem

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

[Solved]Oculus Rift 2.0 (Beta) with xplane problem

Postby twells5 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:37 am

Hi,
I upgraded my Oculus VR software to Rift 2.0 (Beta) and with it X-plane will no longer load in VR with Fly-inside. I think the problem is with X-plane, not Fly-inside, because xplane 2d will load without the oculus software running, but not with it running...same symptoms with fly-inside out of the picture. I am just reporting it here to let people know and to see if anybody has successfully been able to load with the new VR software...It did load through one time to sitting in the cockpit and seemed brighter and clearer to me so I checked the framerates, and they were 115/36....up from my normal 90/30. Unfortunately the mouse would not work so I was not able to start the plane and fly. I never did get it to load again after that one time.

I tried clearing out all the prefs in both xplane and fi but the results were the same. I am using the latest fi and xplane 11 v10.Rc3. Ran fine before the oculus update and going back to the old software is easy to do so its not that big a deal....just like those framerates!

What happens when I try to load either from the fi icon or just xplane alone with oculus running is that I see a 'flash' of the xplane splashscreen then it immediately minimizes to the taskbar and will not maximize. From the sound of my graphics card winding up I think it is continuing to try and load and the minimized icon screen in the taskbar progresses to the choose a flight screen, but no further. Fly-inside makes it to the 'waiting for simulator' screen so it seems to be doing what I would expect. But xplane never gets any further, so fi just sits waiting for it. Xplane never loads any further and remains minimize in the taskbar. Nor does it seem to progress any further in its load when I hover over the icon in the taskbar.

As I said, it doesn't seem like a fly-inside issue (Suppose it could be a little of both?), I'm just reporting it and wondering if anyone has got it to work. Happy to send the logs up if anyone wants them....
tim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windoze 10, I7 7700 CPU, 1080 ti Graphics Card, 32Gb Ram, SSD's all around
twells5

Re: Oculus Rift 2.0 (Beta) with xplane problem

Postby Stevil » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:47 am

Hi twells,

please read this and add it to your report.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6131

I dont know if the beta Oculus works with FlyInside since I am a Vive user. Maybe some other users can shed some light to this? Is there a chance to roll back to non-beta?
Also: We need to know your hardware, version numbers etc etc

Thanks and BR
Stephan
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Postby Rift Flyer » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:14 pm

Works fine here. Sorry that's not much help
System: Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k @ 5.1ghz | 32gb 3466mhz | Asus Strix 1080ti (388.59)| X-Plane 11.10R3 | FlyinsideXP 1.9
VR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Oculus Touch | Leap
Primary HID: Komodo Simulations cyclic, C-Tek anti torque pedals and collective
Rift Flyer

Postby MarkRussell » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Works fine here, just seen 1.9 available so downloading that. Again not a lot of help I know.
I7 3.5Ghz (not overclocked),32GB ram, 1080ti
MarkRussell

Postby twells5 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi Stevil,

Yes, rolling back the oculus software is not a problem if that is what needs to be done. Just wanted to make people aware and see if others were experiencing the same thing.
Apparently not everybody is....Yeah me!!! I thought I mentioned my versions in my first post but maybe I didn't...as I said, it seems more like an xplane issue than an fi issue so I didn't want to report it as an FI issue...cuz I don't know...
But In case I didn't, FI is the latest version 1.83....xplane is the latest version 11.10R3. Using them both for a while before the oculus upgrade with no unusual issues. My box
is an Intel i7 7700 3.6Ghz, 1080 ti graphics card, 32g ram. As to the other question...

Info from the post you mentioned :

Did you already search the forum if another user has the same issue? It often helps to search, for example, for the .cpp-file which was mentioned in the error message. Please invest at least a few minutes to look for that.

Yes, I googled for quite a while here on this site, oculus sites, and xplane sites. Found nothing...but I think the oculus update was just released...

Which version of FlyInside XP do you use? 1.83

Which version of X-Plane do you use? X-Plane 11 Rc3 (No issues until Oculus update)

What X-Plane plugins do you use? Plugins can be found in "<YOUR XPLANE FOLDER>/resources/plugins".
No new plugins in a month
WT3, FlyWithLua,LandingSpeed

Do you use the plugin "FlyWithLua"? This plugin often causes problems because it can change a lot of things in X-Plane.
Yes but I only have one script in the scripts folder...a oneliner to turn off mousewheel zooming. Been there for months.
I'm not at my box right now but later I will rip out each plugin an see if anything changes...I feel highly motivated since the rift flyer
is using Rift 2 without issue...

Please upload the log file which FlyInside generates. It can normally be found under "C:\Users\<YOURUSERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\FlyInside".
Not at my box right now but I can send it up later after I try disabling my plugins...

Sometimes it also makes sense to upload the log file from X-Plane or to give us some screenshots from your issue.

ditto
Are your drivers up to date? Especially the GFX drivers?
Drivers just updated a few days ago.

Are you running our software on a laptop?
No
Is your HMD plugged directly into the HDMI-port of the accelerated GFX-card?
Yes, 1080ti card
Please include your rig in your signature so we can have a look on that! You can just copy mine and edit it to fit to your specs
r
Not quite sure how one would do that. I don't post in forums very much. But my 'rig' is described above.

twells5
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
twells5

Postby twells5 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi Rift-Flyer,

Thanks for the response. Actually that is quit a bit of help. It looks like your system is just about the same as mine too so it is possible to run it and something is different with my setup. Very motivating to know that...

Do you mind if I ask you what plugins you are using? I assume you did the standard install of FI and xplane and launch from the FI generated icon? What is the version 1.9 you mention? Is that a new FI?

For the one time xplane did manage to load in Vr I was getting an increase in frame rates from 30/90 to 36/115....are you seeing something similiar? That surprised me...I have never seen better than 90 through all the updates and messing with super sampling etc...

Thanks again,
tim
twells5

Postby Rift Flyer » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Yes flyinside 1.9 but it also worked in 1.83. I think that framerate you saw is a symptom rather than any increase in performance. The rift is capped at 90fps so you’re not going to get 115fps. I’ve never seen that before.

Yes I launch from the flyinside icon but have also launched from within oculus. I’m not running any additional plugins apart from a few aircraft specific ones.
System: Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k @ 5.1ghz | 32gb 3466mhz | Asus Strix 1080ti (388.59)| X-Plane 11.10R3 | FlyinsideXP 1.9
Rift Flyer

Postby twells5 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi Rift-Flyer,

Thanks for the info. Pretty weird...I removed all my plugins except FI along with all my custom scenery so all that was left was the basic xplane 11 stuff and it still would
flash the splashscreen and then immediately minimize to the taskbar and continue loading...Just cant maximize it. It stops at the first xplane menu screen waiting for input which I can't give it because the mouse doesn't seem to work or its so small my selection isn't registering....and in the meantime FI is waiting for the sim to load, as it should.
So then I downgraded back to the previous Oculus software and it runs fine again. Bizaar... I guess I'll just try to upgrade again in case it didn't update correctly and if that doesn't work just stay with the previous version....at least until they force feed the upgrade to me. Thanks again for your assistance.
tim
twells5

Postby Rift Flyer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:48 am

Oculus Dash is beta software and there are several reports of issues (not FI/XP specific). You should probably stick to the non beta Oculus release for now.
Rift Flyer

Re: Oculus Rift 2.0 (Beta) with xplane problem (SOLVED)

Postby twells5 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:34 pm

The problem with waiting until something gets out of 'beta' is that everything seems to be in 'beta' and slow to move out status. :-)

[ SKIP TO BELOW FOR THE SHORT VERSION...I DO PRATTLE ON...]

To recap, the problem I had was that after upgrading to Oculus Rift 2.0 software, xplane would flash the splashscreen and then immediately minimize itself to the taskbar, and wold not maximize. Hovering over the icon I could see that xplane was continuing to load and would reach the 'load a flight' screen and wait for input from me, which I was unable to provide since the mouse would not function on the icon screen. In the meantime, FI loaded and was waiting at the 'waiting for simulator' screen...waiting for plane to finish loading.
At that point is was stuck. This only occurred with the 2.0 version of rift...rolling back to the previous restored complete functionality.

I tried everything from deleting preferences all around, removing all plugins, removing custom scenery to rolling back my graphics drivers to the previous rev (Which oculus would not use with the latest version of thier software...btw..)

So when none of that worked, I just decided to use the previous version of oculus for now...a solution which would work for a while until oculus did a force upgrade. BTW....did I mention this problem not withstanding...the new oculus software is really cool?

[SKIP TO HERE FOR THE SHORT VERSION]

So after all that messing around, this morning, in rolls a (rather large) Windows 10 upgrade which I installed and now FI and Xplane are back to running normal with the new oculus software just as It had with the previous version. So currently I am running XPlane 11.10Rc3, FI 1.83, Oculus Rift 2.0 without issue. Next up...FI 1.9...Later.

Much thanks to you guys that offered help along the way...
tim
twells5

Next

Return to General forum *Discontinued* 25th Jan 2019