Support for XP 11.30?

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Support for XP 11.30?

Postby Tony » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Fabrice couldn't have said it any better. I personally prefer FI but your settings, pc, gpu will all have an impact on what is your preferred choice. ;)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby famaral » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:14 pm

Any updates on this guys, I wasn't able to get a good configuration on the Native VR, is works far better on my system on FI...
famaral

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:25 pm

We have some bad news I'm afraid, message from Dan. I will post it as an announcement later :( but here is the latest.

It is with regret that we announce the discontinuation of FlyInside XP.  It's been over two years since we first launched our plugin for X-Plane, bringing X-Plane 10, and then X-Plane 11 into virtual reality, opening up a whole new world for flight-simmers.  Although we've worked hard to support many engine updates over this time, as of X-Plane 11.30 we are no longer able to provide our own VR integration.

From a technical stand-point, X-Plane has closed off their shaders.  Without shader source code shipping with the simulator, there's just no way for us to properly inject VR.  We spent a lot of time working on a solution, in an attempt to achieve 11.30+ compatibility, but over the last week we've determined that it simply isn't possible to make this work reliably.

We're researching the possibility of turning "FlyInside XP" into a lighter layer which sits atop native VR while providing virtual window imports, Leap Motion hands, and some of our other features.  It's largely unknown how this will work though, or how long it could take, so in the mean-time we're discontinuing sales of FlyInside XP.  Anyone who ordered in the last month (December 25th 2018 or later) may contact support@flyinside-fsx.com.  We're offering either a full refund or a transition to any other FlyInside product of your choice, including FlyInside Flight Simulator.

Technical Details:
As part of their transition to Vulkan, X-Plane now ships shaders as precompiled "SPIR-V" byte-code.  A large portion of FlyInside's rendering interception works by rewriting shaders on the fly.  We invested a huge amount of time in creating a "shader decompile -> edit -> recompile" system, but over the last week it's become clear that it simply isn't a feasible approach.
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby famaral » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:33 pm

I'm sorry to hear that..... it worked so well....
famaral

Postby Fabrice77 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:32 pm

This is so sad news. This will be preventing me to fly in VR in the FF A320 until they decide to have it VR compatible.
Above that, Flyinside was giving me better performance than native VR.
Thanks anyway to the whole team to have allowed me to discover the incredible world of VR Flight simming.

Fabrice
i9 9900K @3.6GHz - 32GB RAM - Nvidia RTX2080Ti - Windows 10 Pro
HTC Vive Pro - Saitek X56 - Saitek Throttle Quadrant - Saitek Pedals
X-Plane 11 - FlightFactor A320U - XPUIPC
Pilot2ATC - Spad.neXT - VoiceAttack
Fabrice77

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:34 pm

Thanks mate I'll pass it on.......I agree I only used XP for my FF A320 and it was so much fun whilst it lasted ;)
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby John Hargreaves » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:14 pm

That a shame guys, FlyInside XP hasn't been working on my recent 11.30 versions for a while but I thought you would be able to fix that once it became a stable version. Like other users above, I was getting about 50% better performance with FI XP compared to native VR and I just preferred it to the Laminar version.

I can see that there is nothing much you can do so no point worrying about it, it was nice while it lasted. At least the latest version of their VR runs quite smoothly considering I get a steady 22.5 fps on my 7700K/RTX 2080 lol.

I ran FlyInside FSX at first and enjoyed that before I sacked FSX and moved to XP11, then I bought FI XP on the back of that. Let's hope this allows you to put more energy into the FI simulator now. I guess it was probably always going to be a temporary affair with FI XP anyway. Onwards and upwards, don't look down chaps.
i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/OE-XAM R22 collective/Reverb G2
John Hargreaves

Postby elbrod84 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:36 pm

OK so..sorry if this is not the right place to reply (and probably this is not) but..
This can sound strange, I bought a PC specifically after I tryed Fly Inside + x plane 11 (and obviously I bought Fly Inside XP and the x plane 11 copy for myself).
Not a cheap PC, but an I7 7700k + HOF1080, just to give you the price range and the "passion" I have for this thing in VR. Summer 2017.
I tried the native VR of X Plane, is not near as smooth as your Flyinside VR plugin.
So, now, what should I do?
This is not your fault maybe, but this is really not a good news for me.
I'm not asking for a refund, I don't want my money back, I've used your gread plugin for long time, I'm asking you a solution..
Can Laminar Research be involved to solve this situation?
Marco
elbrod84

Postby elbrod84 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:36 pm

Sorry..double post..;)
Last edited by elbrod84 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
elbrod84

Postby admin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi Marco,

I don't have a great solution for you. We were hoping something like this would never happen, but here we are :oops: I have a few options for you, none perfect:

1. Bug Laminar Research - I'd be surprised if this gets you anywhere. Laminar Research usually does that they think is "right" and don't generally budge from it. It's a good thing in that they've faced off against giants like Microsoft since the 90s, while holding their way. The downside, as you've seen, is they may decide to change a functionality and kill off a few add-ons if they believe it provides a better path forwards technologically. If enough users bug them saying "please open upon your shaders, it killed off a few of our add-ons" they may revert. More likely though is a response like "We're sorry about that, but overall we cannot allow that to hold back our engine development."

2. Get used to X-Plane 11 Native VR - Most likely this will be your only option for X-Plane VR in the long run, if you're set on X-Plane, there really isn't much choice. They will improve performance over time hopefully, and you can always turn down settings.

3. Vote with your wallet, give FlyInside Flight Simulator a try. It's not as full featured as X-Plane, and still missing many features, but rapidly improving. If it meets your needs, it does have fantastic smooth VR with many features ;)

4. Vote with your wallet, give Prepar3D a try. It's also a very full-featured flightsim, although different from X-Plane in how it looks and feels. You can either try their native VR (it does tend to run better than X-Plane native), or try FlyInside P3D4 (similar experience to FlyInside XP, although also tends to get higher FPS).

5. See if you can procure a copy of X-Plane 11.25, or X-Plane 10. Not really a great solution in the long-term, as there will be no updates to those products

I wish I could give you a better option, but that's the reality we're facing. Laminar, for their own reasons, closed up shaders. Unless they can be convinced to change back (unlikely), it'll be native VR only from here-on-out. Thank you for being our long-time customer, I hope that you can find a way to continue enjoying VR flight!

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General forum *Discontinued* 25th Jan 2019