HDR or no?

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: HDR or no?

Postby ssites » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:50 pm

Astro wrote:I am seeing very simillar results with a I/6700K at 4.4 and a GTX980TI, I thought of rushing to get a 1080, but reading your report it seems it wont make much difference.
I too think that the 3840 resolution is essential, with 4SAA it looks very good but the frames are unaccepable in the low 20´s.
I tried 4xSGSAA in NI with a negative LOD Bias of -1.25, and FXAA set in XP11, and found that to be ok, the fps were between 40-50/90 then.
Hopefully it was not just a placebo, I will check back this evening.
This was with HDR on.
Anyway I think XP11 has a much higher immersion factor than P3D, I switched between the two sims a couple of times last evening, and yes P3D has more clarity, but it is a bit bland compared to XP.
Probably it all comes down to having more GPU power, I don´t know if there will be any other magic trick.
One other thing I noticed is that the readability of the gauges is just as good in XP, the shimmering is more distracting on scenery objects.
Despite all of that FI is exciting, and there is no point in going back to a monitor.
Wolfgang

Sorry probably a silly question, but what is NI?
ssites

Postby theskyisthelimit99 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:56 pm

ssites wrote:
Astro wrote:I am seeing very simillar results with a I/6700K at 4.4 and a GTX980TI, I thought of rushing to get a 1080, but reading your report it seems it wont make much difference.
I too think that the 3840 resolution is essential, with 4SAA it looks very good but the frames are unaccepable in the low 20´s.
I tried 4xSGSAA in NI with a negative LOD Bias of -1.25, and FXAA set in XP11, and found that to be ok, the fps were between 40-50/90 then.
Hopefully it was not just a placebo, I will check back this evening.
This was with HDR on.
Anyway I think XP11 has a much higher immersion factor than P3D, I switched between the two sims a couple of times last evening, and yes P3D has more clarity, but it is a bit bland compared to XP.
Probably it all comes down to having more GPU power, I don´t know if there will be any other magic trick.
One other thing I noticed is that the readability of the gauges is just as good in XP, the shimmering is more distracting on scenery objects.
Despite all of that FI is exciting, and there is no point in going back to a monitor.
Wolfgang

Sorry probably a silly question, but what is NI?

Nvidia inspector. It was my case that setting sgss did nothing with hdr and only helped with no hdr if set to override
Z170-a | SL Delid 6700k 4.7 1.402-0.008LLC6(vcore=1.44) | F4-3200C15D-16GVK @1.40 at 3466 | TT 3.0 Riing | Thermaltake v51 | Evga 1080FTW Hybrid Water(43c p3d) | Rift | Leap | CH Yoke/Pedals | P3D v3.4.14 and Aerofly FS2 (evo SSD)/XP10(std sata)
Flight-Stew | Tech-Stew
theskyisthelimit99

Postby Erion » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:36 am

Astro wrote:Hello

I just played around with HDR and AA of in XP11 using the FI x8 AA.
It is just too much shimmering.
I would really prefer HDR of, but then I get that strange visibility bug.
Looking down everything is ok, but viewing straight out of the cockpit the haze does strang things.
Wolfgang

3 months later, but same here. For now HDR on goes black after 20-30 minutes, and HDR off is dark (which is not a deal breaker for me) and has these moving black squares on the horizon like in your pictures (which is very distracting and at low visibility can be huge, like half my vertical FOV huge, which is a deal breaker). :( But HDR off would be better anyway as the visibility is unrealisticly low in XP 11 with HDR on.
i7 4790k, 16GB RAM, GTX 980ti 6 GB, W10, Xp11, HTC VIVE
Erion

Postby ssites » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:31 pm

seb wrote:XP11: HDR works for me - I get round about 25-30/90 fps with C172 at KSEA (Textures High, Antialiasing off, Reflections minimum, World Details High); HDR+SSAO result in "strange" right eye only artifacts, performance stays the same.

I think this is where the discrepancy is. You are running with AI off. I find without AI on, it is unusable with all the flickering and bad graphics. This doesn't bother you?
ssites

Previous

Return to XP11 Bug Reporting Here *Discontinued* 25th Jan 2019