How to configure Leap Motion with FI for X-Plane 11?

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

How to configure Leap Motion with FI for X-Plane 11?

Postby Stevil » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:29 am

Hi,

I bought myself a used leap motion and I do not have any experience whatsoever with the leap motion.
From what I have read I have to install the onion software from LM but is there anything else that is needed for using with FlyInside?

Maybe you guys can give me some quick advise on how to set it up.

Thanks and best regards
Stephan
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Re: How to configure Leap Motion with FI for X-Plane 11?

Postby admin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi Stephan,

Right now you just need to attach the sensor to your headset, setup the Orion software (should show a green bar in the System Tray), and run FlyInside. Do you see your hands inside VR?

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby Stevil » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:14 pm

admin wrote:Hi Stephan,

Right now you just need to attach the sensor to your headset, setup the Orion software (should show a green bar in the System Tray), and run FlyInside. Do you see your hands inside VR?

Thanks,
Dan

Yes, everything working. Thanks for your feedback. I didn't see that there was a short video on your website.
Only drawback right now is that not everything is working/switchable/accessible right now, for example in the XP11 C172
(Starters, flaps, battery, avionics, knobs on main instruments, just to name a few).

Best regards
Stephan
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Postby antigrav » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:19 pm

I also have a Leap Motion sensor to use through FlyInside with XP (currently 10) and an Oculus Rift.

I can see the virtual hands, but I'm having trouble manipulating things.

I can choose FlyInside menu items with the virtual hands. I can run all the Leap Motion demo apps.

Do I need to depress (and maybe hold) the interact button to activate the hands in a cockpit?
If a mouse can flip a switch or turn a dial, can Leap hands do that also, or is there more to how the plane models are built? How can I tell?

I have noticed that if the interact button is pressed (and the FlyInside menu is showing), I can pass my hand around the cockpit controls and see gray areas highlight, but I can't grab, touch, flick, shove or anything.

What am I missing? Technique? Sequence? Settings?
Rig: i7-7700 | 32GB RAM | nVidia GeForce GTX1070 | SSD 1TB
VR: Oculus Rift CV1, Leap Motion sensor
Sim: XP11 | DCS

--AntiGrav
antigrav

Postby antigrav » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:18 pm

Update to my post. I think I'm onto something with Leap Motion hands. I was able to manipulate brakes and landing gear by just holding my hand wherever the ghosted lever showed up. Often, they seem to appear several "inches" away from the rendered lever in the cockpit. I had to fish around a bit. I just held my index finger there and then it toggled position.

Have not been successful with dials and switches yet.

Was very cool. I could see my gear on the ground out of the window. By pulsing the collective a little, the helicopter bounced a little and you could see the gear mechanism working.
Rig: i7-7700 | 32GB RAM | nVidia GeForce GTX1070 | SSD 1TB
VR: Oculus Rift CV1, Leap Motion sensor
Sim: XP11 | DCS

--AntiGrav
antigrav

Return to XP11 Bug Reporting Here *Discontinued* 25th Jan 2019