XP 11 FI causes graphics card to drop out

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

XP 11 FI causes graphics card to drop out

Postby montylowe » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Good afternoon,

Having recently bought Fyinside for XP I was very impressed however after anywhere between 5 - 30 minutes of flying my Rift/screen goes black and then restores to desktop with the obligatory "Device has stopped working and has successfully recovered". This basically very briefly disconnects my graphics card, I've had this before with older machines and different games so I'm reasonably familiar with it. I suppose we're using beta software (XP11) and beta 3rd party beta software, so what could possibly go wrong? :lol:

I usually wouldn't post, however after looking through the forums, it's doesn't seem like a common issue anyone else has.

My card drivers are up to date, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

I'll check my card temperature, however if you guys have any ideas, help would be most welcome.

Kind regards

Richard
i5 6600 3.5Ghz - 16GB DDR4 -1070 - CV1
montylowe

Re: XP 11 FI causes graphics card to drop out

Postby Tony » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:30 am

Hi Richard, how have you got everything plugged in with the rift mate? No inboard graphics with your mobo is there ?

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby montylowe » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for getting back to my feeble request for help!

The rift plugs straight into the card, no dodgy on board graphics business.

I could try and manually increase the speed of my GPU fan, however something tells me my hardware isn't the issue.

I use the rift for hours on end with DCS World.

Kind regards

Richard
montylowe

Postby eloypb » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:07 pm

About black screen (most of times), white screen (some times) etc, I only can use FI for 20 min in most of cases, after first time that it happen every, 5 or 10 min. with XP 10 and XP11 (all beta) and any airplane it´s the same (IXEG, AIRBUS JAR 3XX, PMDG, Default x-plane...)
But I have observed that two seconds before it occurs FOV is reduced a little and them all black, but sim continue working.
I hope this helps.

Thank You
eloypb

Postby gcbraun » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:01 am

As we have been discussing on this topic (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4208), perhaps you could try with HDR off to see if the blackout problem goes away?
Intel 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - GTX 1080 Ti 11gb - 32Gb RAM - 2tb SSD
Windows 10 - Oculus Rift CV1 (Flyinside)
Prepar3D v3.4 / X-Plane 11
gcbraun

Postby vitabutch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:46 am

montylowe wrote:Good afternoon,

Having recently bought Fyinside for XP I was very impressed however after anywhere between 5 - 30 minutes of flying my Rift/screen goes black and then restores to desktop with the obligatory "Device has stopped working and has successfully recovered". This basically very briefly disconnects my graphics card, I've had this before with older machines and different games so I'm reasonably familiar with it. I suppose we're using beta software (XP11) and beta 3rd party beta software, so what could possibly go wrong? :lol:

I usually wouldn't post, however after looking through the forums, it's doesn't seem like a common issue anyone else has.

My card drivers are up to date, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

I'll check my card temperature, however if you guys have any ideas, help would be most welcome.

Kind regards

Richard

Hi Richard, unfortunately I can tell you this is the problem with your video card. The fact the driver tell you that video devise has stopper working means the card fails under the heavy load XP11 and FI puts them to. The only was to solve it could be lowering car's frequencies or manipulation with the power. You can try to do this with MSI Afterburner. If the card will keep working well with its clock lowered by 20-%30% it will clearly tell you the reason. I had the same problem on my previous card and it has nothing to do with SW. Usually a pure HW problem.

Cheersm V
vitabutch

Postby montylowe » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi Vita,

Thanks very much for your response, you've been very helpful and yes, that makes sense.

Would you say it's got something to do with an old dodgy power supply? I don't have a great brand and I have been meaning to buy a new one when I upgraded my system a few months ago so I could play VR. Its rated at 800W, however given that it's a poor brand it doubt it ever gets anywhere near that output and is possibly unstable when the GPU calls for more power.

I think we might be on to something now.

My graphics card is a GTX1070 if anyone else had experianced an issue with FI XP 11 with a 1070 then let me know. I'm going to buy a new PS unit though, I need one anyway to power my additional fans I bought.

Kind regards

Richard
montylowe

Postby eloypb » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:15 pm

I have GTX980Ti and power supply 1000W.
I have tried HDR off and 30 min of flying and it don´t occurs but all is very dark and it is like XP9.

Thank You
eloypb

Postby montylowe » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Hello,

I'll let you know my results (new Corsair HX750i installed).

I think there are a few separate issues here:-

G-card crashing (and the game by default) and restoring to desktop - should be solved
Black/white screen after anywhere between 5 - 30 mins of plays
Sim crashing "XP 11 has stopped working" after anywhere between 5 and 30 mins of play

The last two have been discussed in other topics on this forum, it was only the top issue which is a HW issue that I was mostly concerned about. The rest I'm sure will be fixed over updates.

Kind regards

Richard
montylowe

Postby vitabutch » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:56 am

montylowe wrote:Hi Vita,

Thanks very much for your response, you've been very helpful and yes, that makes sense.

Would you say it's got something to do with an old dodgy power supply? I don't have a great brand and I have been meaning to buy a new one when I upgraded my system a few months ago so I could play VR. Its rated at 800W, however given that it's a poor brand it doubt it ever gets anywhere near that output and is possibly unstable when the GPU calls for more power.

I think we might be on to something now.

My graphics card is a GTX1070 if anyone else had experianced an issue with FI XP 11 with a 1070 then let me know. I'm going to buy a new PS unit though, I need one anyway to power my additional fans I bought.

Kind regards

Richard

Hi again Richard!

I wouldnt change PSU for the time being. Did you try to lower the clock? With my previous card I had most of the problems with Witcher 3. It was GTX770 working perfectly for years with all games. But only Witcher 3 puts the extreame load to the card. My assumption is that causes overheat and failure of the memory. HW vendors are bloody bustards, they use cheap components and outage statistics in their products. So my 770 was a crap that vendor created based on the statistics. I never use synthetic benchmarks by the reason I didnt want to toast my GPU with no reason. But the problem you described is very similar to mine. I get along with my 770 with -15% GPU clock. Trade off some performance though. Now itw all in the past since I had to spent a fortune for 1080 and CV1. Lets see how long they will live :)
vitabutch

Next

Return to XP11 Bug Reporting Here *Discontinued* 25th Jan 2019