[Solved]Newbie question

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

[Solved]Newbie question

Postby Captain_russ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:19 am

Is there a manual for FI XP? I only see FSX/P3D.

Here is my problem. I installed Occulus software and the FI demo for XP. I didn't know what I was doing but the rift worked right away. I launched XP and selected the FI plugin from the plugins menu and I was asked if I wanted to allow unverified apps to run on the Occulus. I said heck yes and soon I was in VR in XP. Now I am a 23,000 hour retired Airline captain and have been flying sims in XP for sevral years. Despite the graphics beIng. a bit grainy the experience was unbelievably realistic. I have 3 50 inch monitors but it can't compare to flying in VR. I flew the B737 that I have over a thousand hours n flying captain. I felt s much like I was there I kept reaching for things!

HERE IS MY PROBLEM

This morning I tried to fly again and I first seem to go to the home screen in Occulus land. There is an XP app icon shown but when I click it it soon says that XP is taking too long loading and to remove the headset and check on it. It does complete loading correctly on the pic mnitor and I hear the audio from the sound on the rift headset BUT the video in the rift stays stuck in the white grid scene I mentioned saying it is slow loading.

I do have Windows on my C drive and XP on a separate SSD. I read that could be a problem. I moved XP to the C drive desktop and reinstalled Occulus software but the problem persists. It didn't uninstall before reinstalling.I also didn't know if there is a prefs file that is needed to delete for the rift after relocating XP

Anyone have any ideas? It was so cool To got to do it again.

Thanks for any help.
Captain_russ

Re: Newbie question

Postby Stevil » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:52 am

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

We're happy to hear that you enjoy FlyInside as much as we do!
Regarding your problem:
I think our user Greyman already pointed out that the new Oculus Home software has some problems with starting FlyInside out of the Home VR space. Can you please try if FlyInside still works when you start it from the 2D desktop?

EDIT: See here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5860
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Postby Tony » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:08 am

As Stephan said, don't start from Oculus home as it's bugged but start from your flyinside icon on the desktop ;) and a warm welcome from me ;)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Stevil » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:45 am

And by the way: If you are a retired b737 captain you should really try the Zibo B738 if you haven't tried it yet!
Write me a message if you need any help with the installation of it.
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Postby Captain_russ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:25 am

Thanks. Such a simple solution. I now remember I started FlyInside first on my initial try. I just had another quick flight in the cirrus vision jet around KLAS and I have noted several things. First I can fly so much more smoothly now as I "feel" even minor pitch and bank changes. I always attributed that in pitch in the real airplane to feeling G effects and it is a probably factor but there is obviously a visual component to sensing that too. I also notice handling on the runway and taxiways is much more precise. The concrete just looks so large now with VR and I see minute changes and instinctively make more measured and precise rudder inputs. Finally the landing phase and especially in the flare is so realistic that I think you can really learn to land a real airplane in a home sim now. Unfortunately I think the flight model in the flare is a little unrealistic in P3D but in X-Plane it is great training. Thanks for getting me back into the "air".

I am still a little confused about how to get back to the FI menu from the sim. For that matter I don't know how to leave any other Occulus VR app and return to O Home.

I see there are ways to tweak more resolution and use touch controls so I look forward to exploring those in the future.

Thanks again
Captain_russ

Postby Greyman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:26 pm

if you go to the FI menu and select bindings, the mapping that will allow you to switch easily between the VR view and the FI menu is Show/Hide Full Desktop View.

While you are there, if you haven't done so already, you might want to also map another joystick button to resetting the VR view.
ASUS Hero VIII Motherboard, I7-6700K, EVGA GTX1080FTW, 48GB RAM, Windows 10
Oculus Rift/Touch
Warthog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind pedals
Greyman

Return to XP11 Bug Reporting Here *Discontinued* 25th Jan 2019