Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

23 FPS @ 40% GPU Usage and 23% CPU Usage

Postby HealeyV3 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi all,

Specs:
Oculus Rift CV1 + FlyInside-XP11
Windows 10 64 Bit
GTX 1080, i7-6700K, SSD HDD, 32GB Ram

*Threaded Optimization disabled on Nvidia panel.

When running Oculus Rift HUD Stats, it shows my "Overhead" is at an almost static 92%. It also shows my App Rate HZ at 90HZ static.

In TaskMGR -- My CPU is at 23% usage.
In GPU-Z -- My GPU is at 40% usage.

According to XP11, my FPS in game is 23. FlyInside shows 23 fps as well.

I don't understand it.. it seems like none of my hardware is being remotely taxed, yet I have 23 fps?

If I turn all of my settings down to the absolute lowest settings (aka a green floor and thats' it as a scene) , I still only get ~ 40 fps.
What exactly is causing my hardware not to be used properly? Where is the bottleneck coming from? Been at this for days, I'll try anything, thanks all!
HealeyV3

Re: 23 FPS @ 40% GPU Usage and 23% CPU Usage

Postby Greyman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Single threaded use of the processor might explain the apparently low CPU usage, as your figure will be an average of all of the threads and the thread being used might be up to near on 100%.

If the CPU is causing the bottleneck, then that might leave the other parts of the system apparently underused.

To check, get a piece of software, MSI afterburner for example, to see if one thread of the CPU is being overused.
ASUS Hero VIII Motherboard, I7-6700K, EVGA GTX1080FTW, 48GB RAM, Windows 10
Oculus Rift/Touch
Warthog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind pedals
Greyman

Postby HealeyV3 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:39 pm

Here is my Resource Monitor while running in the rift with fly inside:
Doesn't this show that it's not utilizing any one core of my CPU fully at all?

HealeyV3

Postby HealeyV3 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:46 pm

I did what you recommended and installed MSI Afterburner.

According to their numbers, none of my CPU cores are used more than 50%.

Here is a screenshot:
[img]blob:http://imgur.com/18eac794-6b6e-4702-a38a-6992b01642c8[/img]
HealeyV3

Postby Greyman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:11 pm

It was a suggested possible reason for what you were experiencing and if you are now happy that this isn't the case, then i guess we are back at square 1 again. :)

The framerates you are getting do not sound unusual, compared to what i get and what others have reported and it is odd that the elements of the PC that you might expect to be causing the bottleneck are not at all stressed. I have just had a look at MSI Afterburner, whilst playing XPlane 11 via FI XP and seem to be getting similar results, but i am afraid that i don't know why.

Could it be that memory is getting filled up and is having to be swapped out to disk constantly? Given the size of memory that modern day PCs have and the fact that my memory usage never gets much above 50% of my 16GB max, it doesn't look like it.

Could it be that some of the code is written so that it sits and does nothing for large parts of its cycle? I'd expect that to be picked up pretty quickly during the optimisation process, so again, probably not.

Maybe, along similar lines, FI and XP11 have to wait for each other to stay in sync? Have you tried running XP11 without FlyInside, to see if the symptoms are the same?

Could it be that short spikes in CPU/GPU usage are being missed by the monitoring software, possibly because XP/FI/OH software is using all of the CPU power? :) Maybe not, but something has to be causing the bottleneck.

I'm sorry that i don't have the definitive answer, but i hope that someone else in the community might have identified the issue, although given the relatively low reported FPS readings, i suspect that any solution bringing significant increases would be shouted from the rooftops.
ASUS Hero VIII Motherboard, I7-6700K, EVGA GTX1080FTW, 48GB RAM, Windows 10
Oculus Rift/Touch
Warthog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind pedals
Greyman

Return to XP11 Bug Reporting Here *Discontinued* 25th Jan 2019