X-Plane 11.20 beta released with native VR.

Moderators: Tony, fenflame, Sharkku, Greyman, Bruce_C, Stevil

X-Plane 11.20 beta released with native VR.

Postby Rift Flyer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:23 am

I’ve been testing the closed beta the past week. The public release is out today for those who want to try it. 2017 was a good year with flyinsideXP and x-plane. I don’t see a need for me continuing to use flyinsideXP for 2018 though. Dan thanks for giving us VR support in X-Plane before the developers could do it. I’ve enjoyed the software immensely and think it was tremendous value for money. I’ll continue to check in here from time to time and hope the new sim works out. Happy holidays and new year guys. It’s been fun.
System: Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k @ 5.1ghz | 32gb 3466mhz | Asus Strix 1080ti (388.59)| X-Plane 11.10R3 | FlyinsideXP 1.9
VR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Oculus Touch | Leap
Primary HID: Komodo Simulations cyclic, C-Tek anti torque pedals and collective
Rift Flyer

Re: X-Plane 11.20 beta released with native VR.

Postby lennard78 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:07 am

Merry Christmas!
Just an hour ago I also downloaded the 11.20 update and although my testing is probably far more limited than yours, my initial impression is that FlyInside gives me still a much smoother and higher FPS than native VR. I do however very much like the way the touch-controllers work in the native VR, it is honestly quite a bit easier to switch knobs than with FlyInside at this stage. However, in terms of overall smoothness, FPS and feel, at this moment I much prefer FlyInside (together with the big plus of being able to use your mouse, which is not yet implemented in native VR). Many thanks to FlyInside!

Best wishes
Lennard
lennard78

Postby MarkRussell » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Personally I agree with rift flyer. I just downloaded 11.20 VR and only played around for 15mins. But this is enough to show me I have to turn my settings way down in XP to get anything that resembles smooth. The result that for VFR flying the ortho scenery looks awful.

The ability to walk around is great, although not so easy to quickly master, no ability to hide the yoke or use a mouse means you need plentey of free space. My hands keep banging into my TPM unit and I cant access the switches under the yoke.

Not being able to pull in other windows is also a major pain in the neck.

I am sure things will improve, and the introduction of Vulcan next year will bring back the resolution of external graphics.

I dont understand how you can ditch FI yet, and I can see it taking LR a while to catchup, and unless the take a lot of FI's ideas I dont see how they can overtake. Of course FI still has issues, compatibility of different aircraft allowing the switches to be used with leap motion / controllers is a problem. I imagine some developers will work closer with LR than FI so their aircraft will integrate quicker. But without the other bits its still not a complete solution.

My main worry though is that the guys at FlyInside will throttle back their work in XPLane feeling it may be all worthless if Laminar are going to steal the crown. So please guys keep up the good work, at the moment your solution still steals the show, and with continued improvement will continue to do so for a long time to come.

Thank you for a great product, brilliant support, I had a couple of issues in the past that were resolved very quickly, and to every one a happy Christmas and enjoy your VR flying no matter what software you use to achieve this.
I7 3.5Ghz (not overclocked),32GB ram, 1080ti
MarkRussell

Postby Rift Flyer » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:04 pm

The biggest issue I’ve had using flyinside since it released for x-plane 11 is that ASW doesn’t work (it worked in version 10). I reported it several times and never received any feedback. The lack of smoothness in positional tracking is a huge issue for me flying helicopters. FI just can’t lock 45hz for some reason even with plenty of overhead. The alternative ATW mode makes me feel ill due to positional judder. Native support is locked at 45hz and completely smooth for me with fairly high settings so the choice for helicopter flying is a no brainer.
System: Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k @ 5.1ghz | 32gb 3466mhz | Asus Strix 1080ti (388.59)| X-Plane 11.10R3 | FlyinsideXP 1.9
VR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Oculus Touch | Leap
Primary HID: Komodo Simulations cyclic, C-Tek anti torque pedals and collective
Rift Flyer

Return to X-Plane Lounge