flyinside not installing

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

flyinside not installing

Postby kshporter » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:31 pm

After a year of FSX w/flyinside suddenly not working (and FSX Steam not booting at all) I finally had time to try to troubleshoot it. I'd remove FSX steam edition reinstall,etc to no avail.

Yesterday, I found a YT vid of someone that discovered the non-booting of FSX SE was actually due to a vid card (GTX960) driver update and the manufacturer dropping support for DX2 Oculus. So, I just needed to revert to an older version of the driver. Did and it fixed the issue with not being able to load FSX SE. So, part of the issue was resolved leaving juse Flyinside to reinstall.

ISSUE: Flyinside seems to install but no icon appears nor is the exe icon in the system menu. When I check the directory, there's no Flyinside files in he FSX Se folder (program files/…).

* I've uninstalled Flyinside (and per an old recommendation I found here) I deleted the files in the user profie.
* tried to reinstall and it seems to install but, as with before, no shortcut on the desktop and no files in the system menu. Rechecking the directories - nada
* Then the FSX SE fails to start.
* Uninstall Flyinside ... FSX SE is able to start again.

I've tried several versions of flyinside ...
-original preview for OVR 0700
-flyinside pro for OVR 0.7 and 0.8
-flyinside pro 1.3 for OVR 0700
-flyinside pro 1.4 for OVR 0700

any suggested courses of action?
kshporter

Re: flyinside not installing

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:54 am

When you install FI where do you point the installation too? Or is it auto installing to where FSX is or trying too ?
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby kshporter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:24 am

Thank you for your reply.

It's installing/attempting to install to the common folder for Steam Apps where the FSX.EXE file is resident (noted that previous thread/resolution - but it did not resolve this one). I should have previously noted this is on a Win10 64 system (may or may not help).

After writing this, I retried -flyinside pro 1.4 for OVR 0700 and the desktop shortcut was finally auto-created but it linked to nothing within the directory. So, back to square one of trying to determine why it will not install.
kshporter

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:42 am

Hmmm just to confirm you deleted the flyinside folder completely in the appdata/roaming tree ? Also try deleting the fsx-se.cfg and this is also worth a try.
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:47 am

So to confirm, delete all Flyinside folders and the program. Then the fsx-se.cfg. Then re-install Flyinside and then from the FI icon run fsx which should rebuild the .cfg and then let me know.
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby kshporter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:54 am

Thank you.

Yes to deleting the flyinside folder contents and also the folder itself on one attempt (thinking the code may see the folder and skip installing the remainder). But no result.

Will try deleting the fsx-se config file. I think I did that but am not sure if it was when trying to install FI or when trying to get FSX-SE to function.
kshporter

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:13 am

Try and do it in my order and see how you get on. Maybe because Oculus has stopped supporting the DK2 something happened along the way :( I'll double check with Dan for you if no joy.
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby kshporter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:28 am

okay. Just did several new attempts with .7, 1.3, and 1.4 - all with a non-functioning result. Ensured the FSX Se.cfg files were deleted and all FI files deleted as well.

NOTE: When installing .7 and 1.3 nothing except a couple of info files is installed by the install executable. No icon on desktop, not even in the system menu folder is anything to select to launch the program is installed. It's really weird but the code seems to be seeing something and assuming the program is already installed thus skipping the entire process.

Here's what I see:
1) run the install file
2) goes through the screens to ensure being installed into the correct folder
3) "FSX exists!"
4) leave the box unchecked regarding don't install desktop/menu folder
5) screen mentioning Installing C++ redistributable. (Seems to install)
6) Info Screen relating how to run the program by clicking on the shortcut (which it did not create) and a next button.
7) click next and info screen closed.
Nothing is installed. No short cut. Nothing to reference to manually create a shortcut.
kshporter

Postby kshporter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:33 am

oh ... on DK2 / Oculus ... the DK2 is working. It was something not working (not tracking) but was the result of the Vid Card manufacturer no longer supporting DK2 but only commercial version. The fix there was to roll back to the last driver that supported the DK2. So, the DK2 does work.

Anyhow, there just doesn't seem to be any FI filed being installed. When uninstalling the system reported 34.x mb of files will be deleted yet when I check the directory there's only about 10kb of files with a time stamp of the date of install (e.g. today's date) in the FX-SE folder. And just three files in the Flyinside folder. Where the 34.xmb of files is located is anyone's guess.
kshporter

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:52 am

Have you tried installing Oculus home? You'll have to skip the sensors and touch controllers, if you get it running then download our latest Flyinside and see if that works ?
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Next

Return to General forum