HMD tracking fails

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

HMD tracking fails

Postby musteh » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:03 am

Hi

I have spent the weekend trying to get the alpha to work in a stable fashion - the news that this was a proper project excited me greatly!

I have been moving between 0.6.0.0 and 0.5.0.1 of the runtime and also switching the FSX plugin accordingly, the one that looks closest to working is 0.6.0.0 : but i'm having big problems with the tracking.

If I load up FSX (steam edition). in the Oculus (DK2) I get the standard skyline/clouds with the flyinside-fsx logo and the info splash offering the option to recentre my view. If I move my head, the camera pans about correctly and it looks fine.

Selecting the default flight (ie microlight and the default landscape) the simulator then proceeds to load and if I put the Oculus on I find that the camera pans about correctly as before for a couple of seconds then "freezes" until the FSX has finished setting up the flight and then I see the cockpit of the plane (with the ground moving past) but moving my head doesn't pan the camera :(

I noticed if I press escape to bring up the end flight menu and then press escape again to go back to the flight, lo and behold...tracking works! for about 2 seconds then stops responding again :(

I can see deadlock tracker errors in my Oculus' log folder, would this be of any use?

It's worth saying that the Oculus config util demo works ok - this seems to be localised to FSX (although I've not been trying much else lately).

Does anyone have a suggestion? I had a look at other posts, none seem to match my symptoms.

System setup : Intel i5 CPU, Nvidia GTX970 (driver 350.12 as recommended I think), Oculus Rift DK2, Asus G-sync monitor, 8GB memory.
musteh

Re: HMD tracking fails

Postby Sylas » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:46 pm

Yes, may I suggest something. It may be that the FSX window is losing focus to some other program that is stealing the focus. You could just look at your monitor and click in the active FSX window to regain focus if that is the case. There are also settings which let you change the behavior of the mouse, in that you hover your mouse over a window or program for X amount of time, and that window or program now has the focus. Normally I click an inactive window to give it focus, but that other option exists within Windows. The fact you have Gsync raises a question too. I think that Gsync is enabled globally by default, and you may want to disable it in the Nvidia CP for FSX to see if that helps. Actually you want to disable most running programs..virus scanners, gadgets, anything else that can possibly steal focus or otherwise get in the way.
Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1, Intel i5 3570K@4500Mhz, AsRock Z77 Extreme4, 16GB ADATA DDR3 2400, MSI GTX 670PE X 2 SLI (FSX single GPU) Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium, OCZ 256GB Vertex 4, Crucial 240GB M500, WD 3TB Green, Saitek X52, Oculus Rift DK2 0.6.0.0
Sylas

Re: HMD tracking fails

Postby musteh » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:23 pm

Thanks for the response Sylas :)

I've been making sure the FSX window is focused - I know exactly what you mean, although I'll have another go : I had at some point disabled G-sync too and disabled Eset. It does sound like something outside of the Oculus runtime / FSX is causing the headaches, I can't fathom out quite what though!

I'll try alpha 0.7 and tick off your suggestion when I get a sec though to make sure :)
musteh

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here