Something to look out for after a system crash

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Something to look out for after a system crash

Postby Sylas » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:56 pm

So far I have only had one crash with this program, but after that crash I noticed an anomaly that was essentially hogging system resources on the down low. I had no active programs running in the foreground, but had the normal residual 3rd party applications running in the background, like the Oculus Server, Creative labs volume panel, Afterburner, etc. So with my system essentially idle, I was a little stumped to find that my CPU was not downclocking from its max speed. Looking further, I eventually found the culprit, and it was in fact the OVRServer_x64.exe that was consuming a quarter of my CPU processing power, while doing NOTHING. I took this screen to better explain the hang up. I simply rebooted and the problem was solved, but I wanted give a heads up that a crash with the Oculus SDK might leave your system functioning..just a little slower. It wouldn't be obvious that the program is hung up on dead threads, and one might believe that it was some random configuration issue causing poor performance. And one might waste 45 minutes trying to solve the phantom configuration issue, only to feel ashamed and vulnerable to more computer shenanigans in the future. Don't be that ONE
Attachments
OVRserverWaitChain1.png
Notice the system idle process was 75% and the remaining 25% all were consumed by Oculus Server
OVRserverWaitChain1.png (119.84 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1, Intel i5 3570K@4500Mhz, AsRock Z77 Extreme4, 16GB ADATA DDR3 2400, MSI GTX 670PE X 2 SLI (FSX single GPU) Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium, OCZ 256GB Vertex 4, Crucial 240GB M500, WD 3TB Green, Saitek X52, Oculus Rift DK2 0.6.0.0
Sylas
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:33 pm

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron