Pilot Position

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Pilot Position

Postby CylonSurfer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:59 am

Is there any way to move the seating position a little? I feel that I am sat to far back in the seat and often clip the headrest when looking left or right. It would also be nice to move the camera up a little, I feel I see more of the instruments than I can out of the windows.
CylonSurfer

Re: Pilot Position

Postby Tony » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:11 am

First off welcome cylonsurfer :) battlestar galactica? Lol
ok on the UI (user interface) inside Flyinside try setting some keys or joystick button assignments to world scale. This will resize your cockpit. Don't do too much or you'll feel like a giant in a tiny airplane lol also you can try assigning viewpoint commands to your joystick. Try what's best for you :) any more help just ask.

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby CaptCWGAllen » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:42 pm

I had the same issue and Sharkku very kindly posted this advice - has solved my problem - I hope it solves yours.

Sharkku Quote

I know what you mean by the position being off! I also have to adjust every time I start a new flight, to make it feel more like real life. I mostly fly C172 irl these days, and I usually sit more forward than th default FSX position.

The simple solution :
Just use the FSX controls for eyepoint adjustment. You can find them in the FSX settings (NOT the FlyInside settings!) and bind a hat switch to them or something. The default is:

Move up SHIFT + ENTER
Move down SHIFT + BACKSPACE
Move backward CTRL + ENTER
Move forward CTRL + BACKSPACE
Move left CTRL + SHIFT + BACKSPACE
Move right CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER
Reset* CTRL + SPACEBAR

The better, but slightly more complicated solution:
Edit each aircraft.cfg file. You can find the default eyepoint value under [views] eyepoint = x, y, z. Takes some trial and error to get it right, but once you do, it's fixed permanently. You can also save a flight with adjusted viewpoint, find the offset values in the savefile, recalculate and rearrange and add them to the aircraft.cfg values. It gets complicated. Welcome to the wonderful world of Microsoft coding.
Oculus CV1 X Plane 10.51
i7 4930K OC4.5GHz, Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler, 64GB Corsair DDR3, NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB , 256GB Samsung SSD, 1000GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 4TB HD
PFC C2 Professional Flight Console, PFC Cirrus Rudder Pedals, nVidia driver 375.63
CaptCWGAllen

Postby CylonSurfer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:48 pm

CaptCWGAllen wrote:I had the same issue and Sharkku very kindly posted this advice - has solved my problem - I hope it solves yours.

Sharkku Quote

I know what you mean by the position being off! I also have to adjust every time I start a new flight, to make it feel more like real life. I mostly fly C172 irl these days, and I usually sit more forward than th default FSX position.

The simple solution :
Just use the FSX controls for eyepoint adjustment. You can find them in the FSX settings (NOT the FlyInside settings!) and bind a hat switch to them or something. The default is:

Move up SHIFT + ENTER
Move down SHIFT + BACKSPACE
Move backward CTRL + ENTER
Move forward CTRL + BACKSPACE
Move left CTRL + SHIFT + BACKSPACE
Move right CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER
Reset* CTRL + SPACEBAR

The better, but slightly more complicated solution:
Edit each aircraft.cfg file. You can find the default eyepoint value under [views] eyepoint = x, y, z. Takes some trial and error to get it right, but once you do, it's fixed permanently. You can also save a flight with adjusted viewpoint, find the offset values in the savefile, recalculate and rearrange and add them to the aircraft.cfg values. It gets complicated. Welcome to the wonderful world of Microsoft coding.

Great - just what I was looking for. Everything mapped now and working well. Cheers!!
CylonSurfer

Postby Robert » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:03 pm

For whatever reason, every time I use the hat with these mappings, each press also increases the scale of the plane. I haven't looked more into it and generally just move my head farther in the direction of the offset and reset the head position. For small offsets it works great. For the planes with big ones I use the hat and then scale back down.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Sharkku » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:11 am

Robert wrote:For whatever reason, every time I use the hat with these mappings, each press also increases the scale of the plane. I haven't looked more into it and generally just move my head farther in the direction of the offset and reset the head position. For small offsets it works great. For the planes with big ones I use the hat and then scale back down.

Maybe a silly question, but have you made sure that you haven't accidentally bound the HAT to scaling in FlyInside settings? I think it would be possible to have the HAT bound to eyepoint adjustment in FSX settings, while simultaneously bound to scaling in FlyInside settings. Alternatively, any third party joystick apps that simulate keyboard presses? Joy2key or something like that?
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here