First impression - PPL/IFR pilot

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

First impression - PPL/IFR pilot

Postby mischmerz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:01 am

Howdy: First of all - let me congratulate the author for his stunning work. I flew a few patterns and after the third touch and go I was reaching for the virtual flap lever. It is simply amazing. The usual flaws (start-up freezes ..) are no problem, it's usually enough to restart the DK2 service.

Unfortunately, the Rift lacks the necessary resolution to read the instruments correctly. In order to be able to use FlyInside for some more serious flying, I'd like to be able to 'zoom' the panels to be able to view the maps, set frequencies (radios, vor ..) It would also be great to view the sectionals or IFR maps inside the cockpit and to 'talk' on the radio.

Or maybe I have missed something and there is a 'trick' to view the instruments more clearly... ?

In any way - it's great work and I will of course pay my tribute on kickstarter as well.

m.
mischmerz

Re: First impression - PPL/IFR pilot

Postby CaptCWGAllen » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:07 am

Dan can probably answer best, but regarding resolution: the consumer version of the Rift should sort a lot of resolution issues; Dan is going to be adding a 'magnifying glass' app, he is working on getting the GPS to pop up.

Re charts, ATC etc see Dan's latest video

http://youtu.be/TXnu39EzmzY

cheers
Peter
Oculus CV1 X Plane 10.51
i7 4930K OC4.5GHz, Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler, 64GB Corsair DDR3, NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB , 256GB Samsung SSD, 1000GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 4TB HD
PFC C2 Professional Flight Console, PFC Cirrus Rudder Pedals, nVidia driver 375.63
CaptCWGAllen

Postby MK84 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:39 am

If your system is up for it, set FlyinsideFSX resolution to High (FlyInsideFSX Window-Settings-Resolution-High), that helps with the instruments readability.
Oculus Rift - HTC Vive - FSX SE - Prepar3D - X-Plane 11 - Windows 10 Pro - Intel i7-4790K - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - TM HOTAS Warthog - MFG Crosswind - Pro Flight Trainer PUMA
MK84

Postby melonmechanic » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:57 pm

The magnifying glass will be a HUGE improvement. The PMDG 737 is basically unusable on the rift because instruments like the FMC and PFD pop out into a separate "window" when on a normal monitor, however, in the rift they show up on the primary monitor and not the rift itself. I wonder if he can make it so those windows show up like the settings and browser windows do inside the cockpit so we can reposition them at least.
melonmechanic

Postby Robert » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:11 pm

And here is where the difference between backing at the beta tester and regular levels will come into play. The regular backers won't get updates with new features presumably - totally up to Dan - until he delivers the actual reward.

Beta testers should get updates along the way that include the zooming and extra windows in the cockpit.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Jorgensen » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:03 am

oh my - and we can't backe anymore :-/
Jorgensen

Postby admin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:21 pm

As others have mentioned, I'll be adding "zoom", "magnifying glass" and the ability to use radio panels and such as virtual windows, all of which should help a lot with readability :D

I've seen a few people now concerned about not having backed (or backed the beta). I'm considering setting up an online store so users can buy into the beta, once the betas are rolling out, if they missed it during the Kickstarter.
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here