fsx se new beta

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

fsx se new beta

Postby houseman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 am

hi all
has anyone tried the new fsx se beta yet?
they say they have made changes to the way it handles add ons
houseman
houseman
windows 7 ultimate
Intel core i5-2400 cpu@3.10GHZ
16 gigabyte memory
nvidia Geforce gtx 960 driver 10.18.13.5330
Oculus dk2 0.6.0.0 SDK
Razer orochi mouse
houseman

Re: fsx se new beta

Postby Robert » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:57 am

Nice catch! I haven't tried I yet but will give it a look.

All, here is the info: http://steamcommunity.com/games/fsxstea ... 7390873311

The open beta for the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition update is now live. The beta is open to all owners of FSX: SE and will run for seven days (29/07/2015 – 05/08/2015). The purpose of the beta is to allow players to provide feedback about the update before it is released to everyone.

Many of the changes and fixes in this update will be seamless to FSX: SE players but will be of great benefit to developers looking to bring their add-ons to FSX: SE.

The more player-visible updates include:
Improvements for using modified Scenery.cfg files which could previously result in a 1007 error when installing new scenery add-ons. Please note due to the highly customisable nature of FSX: SE it is going to be impossible for us to attempt to deal with all forms of malformatting in the Scenery.cfg files. For this reason we have also provide an option to reset the Scenery.cfg file to the default version.
Fixed font file loading not being VFS-aware. Font files associated with add-ons should now work as expected.
Fixed multiplayer invites not working if you invite a friend to a Private game.
Improved mouse cursor slow-down over complex cockpits. Although we have made some optimizations to this code, players may still experience some reduction in framerates when using highly complex cockpit models. This is because such models are pushing the boundaries of what is possible within the game engine.
Improved optimisation of installing/uninstalling add-on content through the Steam platform.

For full details please see this thread in our forum:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/di ... 416450278/

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition Team
Dovetail Games
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Robert » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:09 am

I checked the thread they link to near the end of the beta announcement and it looks easy to install and pretty much everyone is reporting it runs a bit smoother and that they pick up a modest frame rate increase.

I'm going to install and give it a try with FlyInside.
Robert

Postby Markeebo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:58 pm

Robert wrote:I checked the thread they link to near the end of the beta announcement and it looks easy to install and pretty much everyone is reporting it runs a bit smoother and that they pick up a modest frame rate increase.

I'm going to install and give it a try with FlyInside.

Please report back. Out of town till the 8th but curious nonetheless.

Markeebo
Markeebo

Postby Robert » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:13 pm

I didn't benchmark frames before and after, but I would swear I picked up a substantial boost. I'm now getting in the 60's for FSX frames and a solid 75 on timewarped at Bowerman (Orbx scenery) in a Flight Sim Developers P-38. In the stock 172 I'm getting between 115 and 130 depending where I am looking on FSX frames.

I don't have an explanation but the battery switch direction in the Flight Sim Developers P-38 is apparently reversed. Took me a bit to figure that one out and be able to start the engines in a saved scenario, but everything else seems fine.

The beta didn't fix the issue with joysticks losing focus if you do anything outside of FSX, though. I fired up my browser to write this and just checked and joystick seems dead. But this is how it was for me before going beta.

Lots of "is it ok to run" this or that dll when you fire up. FSX must see all the changes. And FlyInside also wanted to know which video card to use, but all in all no real problems.

If anyone else sees reversed switches in other planes, I would be interested to hear. I don't think I've had it wrong all this time as I've started the engines from cold a bunch of times in the '38. But maybe I did. Magnifier would be handy here as I could read the writing. :D

Edit...

For whatever reason, now the battery switch in the 38 is fine after I restarted FSX. Also, and Orbx people may or may not care, but each time you launch the beta FSX it turns out it asks you if you want to run various scenery .dll files - mostly the object flow ones. It tells you they aren't tested to work (seem to work fine) and asks you if you want to run them just this once. No option to just accept them for all time like the various FSX and airplane .dll files. So it nags and the level of nag depends on how many of the various object flow .dll files you have. Might be able to turn off object flow in the Orbx control panels but I don't have time to experiment right now as lightning and thunder are here and I need to power the rig down. Now that Dovetail has announced joint scenery offerings with Orbx, I bet this gets sorted pretty quick. But for now, you get nagged.

Also, frame rate increases aren't as dramatic in Honolulu but there is a lot of scenery there. It was down in the 74-75 timewarp fps and 46-47 FSX fps there for me.

All in all - success! I'd say go for it.
Robert

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here