The problem of world scale (edit: some corrections)

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

The problem of world scale (edit: some corrections)

Postby frui » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:30 pm

Edit 1: Sorry I was wrong. The world scale adjustment in Flyinside option applies BOTH to the cockpit AND the outside world. I increase the cockpit size to maximum and the road beneath me becomes very broad too. This is fantastic! I am very happy. Thank you Dan for the brilliant work!

Edit 2: There are still problems. When I increase the cockpit size to maximum, the nearest cars, buildings, etc will look like normal size, but the cockpit will become absurdly big. So the cockpit is still out of portion with the nearest surroundings.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flyinside is absolutely incredible, but I find the new dimension it brings to FSX may also foreground the intrinsic problem of the non-VR applications. I mean the world scale problem. I do feel the landscape in VR mode looks smaller than in real life. This is more obvious in photoreal sceneries because there are real objects for reference. I attached a picture of the Bell 206 landing in the highway of Aosta. I made the scenery with 50cm aerial photos from Bing Map. As you can see the lane looks unrealisticly narrow. It is almost as narrow as the helicopter, which can't be possible. But I really don't know whether this is the problem of FSX, or Flyinside. Or is there any way to change the world scale? Yes I know there is an option in the setup panel, but it is for the adjustment of the cockpit, not the outer world. Any ideas?
Sorry I am not sure if the pic can be shown properly, and here is the url: http://imgur.com/NJyJSAm
Last edited by frui on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
frui

Re: The problem of world scale (with pic)

Postby Sharkku » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:55 pm

The original 206 is very poorly modeled. The cockpit is too large to begin with. Could be part of the problem at least.
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby Tony » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:59 pm

I agree, could you post the same screenshot in the R22 ?

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby frui » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:30 pm

This is not related with the model of 206. I have changed the size of 206 many times with the world scale adjustment option of Flyinside, but the sense of the outside scenery remain the same.
I searched in Oculus Reddit and find many posts about the scale problem in other applications. They listed many possible causes: wrong IPD, eye relief, height settings in oculus control panel, or could be the setting of the original application. Minecrift used to have the scale problem, but later version overcame it. I changed my IPD and other settings. The changes seem to affect the size of the cockpit, but not the outer world.
I am also thinking that if the scale of the cockpit can be adjusted, can it be programmed to let the user to change the outer scale too?
Please try some photoreal mountain scenery to see if you also have the same feel. Only when in real scenery this "toyfication" effect pops up because you have comparison with the real object.

Sharkku wrote:The original 206 is very poorly modeled. The cockpit is too large to begin with. Could be part of the problem at least.
frui

Re: The problem of world scale (edit: some corrections)

Postby Robert » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:54 pm

Frui, some planes are just off on their scale in relation to the real world.

If you have any other planes or copters where the world scale feels about right, that goes a long way to eliminate a lot of bugs besides the plane or copter with the scale issues itself.

Generally aftermarket aircraft are much more accurate in pretty much everything than the stock FSX aircraft.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby frui » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:26 pm

Yeh now I know this problem is not easy to solve because FSX is not built for VR. Some day there will be a flight simulator built for VR from bottoms up and the world will be a happy place.
For FSX, probably most plane's cockpits are larger than their surroundings. It is indeed Dan's considerate effort to include an option to adjust the world scale.

Robert wrote:Frui, some planes are just off on their scale in relation to the real world.

If you have any other planes or copters where the world scale feels about right, that goes a long way to eliminate a lot of bugs besides the plane or copter with the scale issues itself.

Generally aftermarket aircraft are much more accurate in pretty much everything than the stock FSX aircraft.
frui

Postby admin » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Now that I think about it, it should be possible to provide a separate "world" and "cockpit" scale rather than forcing both to work together.
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby Robert » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:21 pm

Wow! That will make a number of people really happy! And it opens up some real "hanger flying" possibilities... :D
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby frui » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:12 am

Wow wow wow! That's the best news for me ever since I tried Flyinside. Can't thank you enough Dan. Almost tears.

admin wrote:Thanks for the detailed feedback. Now that I think about it, it should be possible to provide a separate "world" and "cockpit" scale rather than forcing both to work together.
frui

Postby flibberflops » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:59 pm

admin wrote:Thanks for the detailed feedback. Now that I think about it, it should be possible to provide a separate "world" and "cockpit" scale rather than forcing both to work together.

That would be great.

Any chance the world scale can be given a visible number to make more exacting when altering the scale (at the moment its just amount of clicks up/down)?

... or even better, be able to specify a world scale in each aircraft.cfg ????
flibberflops

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here