Error "Microsoft Flight Simulator Stopped Working"

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Error "Microsoft Flight Simulator Stopped Working"

Postby neiloakley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:26 pm

Upgraded to Win10 (first mistake). Went to use FSX:SE tonight and it never got past the splash screen. I uninstalled Oculus Runtime 0.6.0.0 and it booted up fine.

Followed other suggestions to install the latest AMD drivers for Win 8.1 (not 10). I did that, and reinstalled Oculus Runtime 0.5.0.1 and Flyinside ver 0.7

Now when I launch FSX:SE with the Oculus turned on, I get the error "Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working and needs to close" with the splash screen still in the background. No option. Works fine again if I turn off the rift.

All apps/drivers were installed as admin, in windows 8 compatibility mode.
Kickstarter Backer
Intel i7-3770
Windows 10 64bit
AMD Radeon HD 7770 (driver version 15.200.1062.1004)
FlyInsideFSX_AlphaPreview_7_OVR_0501
neiloakley

Re: Error "Microsoft Flight Simulator Stopped Working"

Postby admin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:44 pm

I'm setting up Windows 10 soon, but based on Oculus' lack of confidence I haven't been in a rush. It's bad enough debugging "supported" configurations ;)

Hopefully the 0.7 Oculus SDK shipping this week will add official Windows 10 support. Either way, I'll be addressing it in the near future!
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby Robert » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:03 pm

Hey Dan, apparently 0.7 won't officially support Windows 10:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... 20/ctv040r

People are interpreting that to mean that it will probably work for more people but Oculus doesn't want to commit to claiming it is supported which puts them on the hook when/if it doesn't work for some subset of the population.

The quote from Ppedriana at the link:

Windows 10 is supported.

Edit: Sorry, quick clarification: Windows 10 is not officially supported in 0.7. It hasn't been fully tested and isn't yet guaranteed to work. We're working on full Windows 10 support, and we'll keep everyone posted on progress. Sorry again for the confusion here.

Gypsy816 had this to say as well:
Clarity on the Window 10 support question:

Our software team is working as quickly as possible to complete Windows 10 compatibility with our SDK and the Oculus Runtime. As Windows 10 is not officially supported at this time, we strongly suggest that Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 owners do not upgrade from previous versions of Windows until we have the officially updated SDK and Oculus Runtime available.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby neiloakley » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:11 am

I guess I'm screwed then. Tried so many combinations of drivers and all it does it change the error message I get.

May look to roll back to windows 8.1 unless anyone has any suggestions?
Kickstarter Backer
Intel i7-3770
Windows 10 64bit
AMD Radeon HD 7770 (driver version 15.200.1062.1004)
FlyInsideFSX_AlphaPreview_7_OVR_0501
neiloakley

Postby Robert » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:14 am

Rolling back is apparently easy. Also, even if Oculus isn't officially supporting Win 10, it sounds from what the two Oculus people say in that thread that it and 0.7 should/might work for many people. But Dan will also need time to get 0.7 support wired in.

It's your call on how long you want to be grounded and how hopeful you are that Oculus does better than they predict with Win 10 support in 0.7. For being able to fly this week you are probably also betting current versions of FlyInside will even work with a 0.7 runtime as it would surprise me if Dan gets a 0.7 build out this week. My gut feeling is with the big changes in 0.7, it won't work with current FlyInside versions but some will likely try it and maybe it will work.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Tony » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:10 am

Be warned though, rolling back as Robert states is easy, BUT and a big BUT, you only have a month to roll back after that your'e stuck with Win 10. Mine lasted all of 10 minutes before I rolled back LOL

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here