Just received Cessna flying lessons using FlyInside - Thanks

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Just received Cessna flying lessons using FlyInside - Thanks

Postby Joel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:28 pm

After doing some flying in FSX using FlyInside, I asked a buddy of mine who has had training in a real Cessna if he could come over and give me some lessons. Not going into too much detail, he was able to guide me through using all the gauges and settings and help me navigate short cross country trips while watching on the monitor. Being able to use the same visual cues as he does in the real plane made the lesson feel more like flying the real thing than just manipulating a simulator. Flight simulators have always felt awkward to me because you are tied down to one narrow field of view. Looking around with a hat switch or even a TrackIR ruins the simulation aspect of it for me. However, FlyInside has really opened new doors for being able to feel really comfortable in the flight sim.

One thing that we were talking about afterward was the ability for both of us to sit in the cockpit in VR together, either on the same computer or over the internet. I haven't heard of anyone else hooking about 2 Rifts to one computer and I don't know the logistics of it all, but I think down the road a co-op flight experience would be a really great thing to have.

I haven't been having a lot of trouble with FlyInside like other people on the forum seem to be having. For an alpha release, it is quite good.

Thanks for everything you've done, Dan, and keep up the good work!

-Joel
Joel

Re: Just received Cessna flying lessons using FlyInside - Th

Postby Robert » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Hey Joel,

It changes everything about flight simulation in my opinion. People don't have to turn a 2D monitor image into a 3D world in their mind. Some can do that especially if they grew up doing it, but I think it's a post here somewhere where a flight instructor mentioned he had some students who didn't get much out of flight simulation as a training aid because they couldn't make that leap. Until he had them try using the DK2. Then they got it and could judge approaches and all the fun stuff.

About flying multiplayer - you can't really connect two Rifts to one computer, at least not yet. It's just too demanding with having to track both HMDs and generate the views for them. But you can fly multiplayer over the Internet or a local LAN and apparently even do ride-along flights. (I haven't done the ride-along stuff but I think that is what share aircraft does in the multiplayer menus for both FSX:SE and P3D. Maybe someone who has done ride-alongs can comment?)

But you can certainly fly multiplayer and Tony/Techy, Mort/Bruce, and I have done just that. It's a lot of fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daaja-wQmRo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA8ZcD3nij8

We still haven't sorted out the judder. I was seeing it with Tony's plane but he wasn't seeing it with mine. Of course, I was the one filming so you see the judder. But it is definitely doable and I think you can sit in another player's airplane with the share aircraft option - but I don't know that for a fact so take it with a grain of salt until someone else can chime in and say for sure.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Joel » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:12 am

Hi Robert,

I'll have to give the multiplayer a shot. I've never tried multiplayer with FSX, but that might be the ticket to get what I'm looking for. My buddy who was giving me the lessons doesn't have a Rift at home (yet), but he could just spectate from the co-pilot seat off of his monitor. If I get that working, I will let you all know.

-Joel
Joel

Postby picnic » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:33 am

Don't see why the shared cockpit feature wouldn't work, but when Dan gets Leap support and hand gestures in I guess we'll not see the other person's hands. Now wouldn't that be cool if it could be made to work! One problem with shared cockpit is you must all be using the exact same FSX version, FSX, no SP, will not play with FSX SP2 etc. Never tried but I don't think FSX:SE will do shared cockpit with anything but itself, similarly with P3D.

I'm a member of the Bristol Flight Sim Group, here in the UK, and we have a regular GA fly-in nights using our own dedicated server based on the same tech that VATSIM started off with, FSD. This allows FS9/FSX/FSX:SE/P3D and Xplane all to fly together. Last flight I did we all ended up doing overhead joins at the final airfield and looking out and about with the rift and seeing aircraft all around really worked well (except the resolution is still too low so I was half the time just watching the red labels :))
5820K@4.3Ghz . 16GB . 980ti . 4K display . Win10 Home 64bit . P3D v3.1 . OC 0.8
picnic

Postby DesH » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:33 am

I often wondered if there would be any interest in people new to flight simulators getting some online "lessons" from real world pilots, even a quick 30mins to explain the basic flight controls and systems, quick demo of general handling, flying the circuit and landing etc. I know FSX gives you a lot of that already but I suspect people would learn quickler from a real human! Being able to do it in the Rift, would be fantastic....
DesH

Postby Robert » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:07 am

Picnic - look up smallpartrejectradius. It's a setting in the FSX.cfg file that keeps planes from disappearing.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here