Some Objects pop in and out at close range.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Some Objects pop in and out at close range.

Postby metalnwood » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:57 am

Firstly, this is great and had I known about it earlier I would be a backer. It got me to install FSX after some time away from it.

I have noticed that if I go in to an airport I can see the labels for aircraft but it is not until they get fairly close that the aircraft suddenly pops in to view and also pop out again when a little bit of distance is gained.

An easy example is the loopy larry mission. I couldnt find the bus but then when I got close it appeared all of a sudden, by the time I get around and it is moving I cant find it again unless I got lucky and flew close to where it was driving.

I dont know if this is a known issue or just one I am having?

Thanks!
i5 3570k @ 4.5 , 16 gig ram, 780ti, all SSD's, one monitor, one rift.
metalnwood

Re: Some Objects pop in and out at close range.

Postby Robert » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:09 am

Look up smallpartrejectradius. That should fix you up.

Been discussed a lot here and on FSX websites in general.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby metalnwood » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:14 am

Thanks I will have a look. Is that something that is particular to the VR implementation? I did do the same scenario without the rift turned on and I could still see aircraft that would have been invisible in the rift.

Anyhow, I will check it out first thing tomorrow.

Thanks!
metalnwood

Postby Sharkku » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:43 pm

I think it has something to do with the larger FOV in the Rift, FSX is culling objects depending on the expected apparent size of objects. With a large FOV, FSX thinks objects become small as they would on a regular screen, and culls them. At least that's my theory.
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby metalnwood » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:08 pm

This worked BTW, thanks! I wish I could get the high res working though. Straight away I get artifacting and then run out of memory quickly.

I will try a few things I have read, namely going down to runtime 5.xxx, whichever was working. I would like to get the instruments more legible but would be pretty happy if there was a popup option in the future that had a little panel with some of the main information in a text form, airspeed, direction etc..

Flyinside has really got me thinking a little about how I can bring back in some of the equipment I used to use pre VR, like knobs etc. I am happy to give them up for VR but the mouse really is a pita to use, desktop or VR. I might dump an idea or two in another thread.
metalnwood

Postby Tony » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Leap motion support is coming soon, Dan will have an online store where you can purchase early beta access very soon :)

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby metalnwood » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:55 pm

The idea of leap motion is a great one, a friend has one but I dont think he was overly impressed. I have read some information about what Dan is doing and rightly, by the sounds of it, is not trying to push the leapmotion in to areas where it is known to be weak.

If something like that would work flawlessly so that I could push things with my fingers and pinch to turn knobs etc then I wouldn't look any further. Having said that, someone has to pioneer these things at a stage when it doesn't work 100% as we would all like. I like to be on the cutting edge myself but something tells me that the leap motion will frustrate me more than traditional options at this point. I was just about to start a thread in the general area a bout a controller. I figured this is a good place as we are al VR flight sim guys here. Discuss it on a more general forum and everyone jumps in and says how VR doesnt work :D
metalnwood

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here