Eyepoint/position moved after using GSX menu

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Eyepoint/position moved after using GSX menu

Postby WebMaximus » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:06 am

One issue I've seen from time to time is how bringing up the GSX menu shows me the FI user interface/menu for a split second and then I'm returned to the v/c and the GSX menu pops up. What happens sometimes though is I don't get back to the v/c but for some reason my eyepoint/position has been moved from the v/c to somewhere at the cargo deck/department of the a/c :lol: This is in the PMDG NGX.

When this first happened I tried solving it by pressing the re-center key but to no avail. I then discovered looking at the P3D window on my 2D display what really happened is I was in some kind of an outside view rather than in the v/c view. Right-clicking in the P3D window on the 2D display and re-select Cockpit-Virtual Cockpit solved the problem and I was back in the v/c also in VR.

I'm not 100% certain but this might have to do with what shortcut you're using to bring up the GSX menu. I think the default one is CTRL-SHIFT-F12 or just CTRL-F12 if I recall correctly and after changing this to SHIFT-7 (after removing what was already assigned to that in P3D) the problem seems to have went away.

Have to do more testing though to know for sure but so far so good when I've been testing. Using this new shortcut, bringing up the GSX menu is much snappier.

Thought I would mention this for anyone else with the same problem and maybe also for the developers to look into. Not sure why the default shortcut for GSX would cause this issue when the same keys are not used elsewhere but this is what I've seen.
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Re: Eyepoint/position moved after using GSX menu

Postby WebMaximus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:40 pm

An update to this.

Didn't take long before I had the issue also with my new keys and in a way that was good because it would have been almost like magic if another set of keys would have had an effect on this :lol:

However I've now found another likely cause. What I noticed today when playing around was that if I look at the spot in the VR space where I know the GSX will pop up, ie the location where I last left it it's likely I will encounter the issue described. However as long as I look elsewhere I can open and close the GSX menu as many times as I like without any issues what so ever.

I'm not sure why this is but I guess maybe what happens is that looking at the spot where the menu will pop up means the GSX menu will be in focus at the very same split second the key combination is pressed rather than having the sim window in focus causing not only the sim to "receive" the keys you're pressing but also the menu. Also I guess this is not specific for GSX but also for any other add-on using the default menu system in the simulator to display information. Another such add-on is AS16 just to make an example.
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here