Vive Controller Hands Crash FSX

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Vive Controller Hands Crash FSX

Postby dieselpunk » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi.

I'm really amazed with FlyInside FSX and HTC VIVE and I want to support this software by purchasing it.

But I seem to be getting constant crashes whenever I try to use the VIVE controllers to interact with the virtual cockpits in FSX. It's especially bad with the blue hands. All I have to do is point it at an interactive part of the cockpit and FSX/FI crashes (FSX restarts but FI is then not working so I assume it's really FI that's crashed). This is a bit better if I disable the hands and put the VIVE in "laser pointer" mode. However, if I interact with something in the latter mode it will still crash. I think it's just that it's harder to do the interaction which makes it seem more stable.

This is true in my tests with the stock FSX J-3 Cub and Ultralite (in the beginner missions). I spent a lot of time crashing today trying out various configurations. If I just go with mouse/keyboard/pedals/stick things are stable, but I prefer being able to interact with the cockpit directly with the controllers if possible.

I'm on FlyInside 1.92. I'm on FSX Deluxe Edition SP2 (clean install). The only add-ons are A2A C172 and P-40 Warhawk. Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, AMD RX480 8GB, AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3GHZ, CH Pro Pedals, CH Fighterstick. Updated graphics drivers to latest version today.

The trial of FI/X-plane does not seem to have this issue, but I'd really rather not have to buy X-Plane. I enjoy FSX because of the aircraft selection. Anyone have any suggestions to try?
dieselpunk

Re: Vive Controller Hands Crash FSX

Postby Tony » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:21 am

Could you post your Flyinside error log for us ? This can be found under the appdata/roaming/flyinside folder tree.
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Re: Vive Controller Hands Crash FSX

Postby dieselpunk » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi Tony.

I didn't see anything called error log in users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\FlyInside. The closest thing I found was log.txt so I attached that.

However, today FlyInside FSX worked tonight without crashing inside the FSX stock C172 !. What I'm doing is running through the FSX tutorial missions in VR. Tonight I was doing Tutorial 6: Introduction to Mountain Flying and FlyInside seemed to allow me to interact with the control panel of the C172 without crashing. As soon as I switched back to Tutorial 5 featuring the FSX J-3 cub I crashed within 10 seconds when I tried to use the controller. I'm not sure even what I pointed at since it seemed like as soon as the laser pointer of the controller intersected with some part of the plane it crashed.

At least for me, it seems like interactions with the stock FSX Trike Ultralight and J-3 Cub are bugged with FlyInside interactions. :|

When I say crash I mean FSX quits and I get a black screen as VIVE Home screen loads. If I take the HMD off I sometimes see an FSX has stopped working window and sometimes I just see the main FSX menus. In either case the HMD is offline and I have to relaunch FlyInside FSX.

Anyway, if there's a different log I should be sending let me know. I'll keep experimenting over the next few nights and see if I further narrow this down.
Attachments
log.txt
log file
(14.25 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
dieselpunk

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here