FlyInside failing on load up

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

FlyInside failing on load up

Postby Tiggs » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Hey guys,

I am kinda new here and don't usually resort to forums, but I am having some issues and you guys seem to be the pros.

I have been using FlyInside all summer and outside a couple of little quirks which I can deal with it's been really good and always loaded... til last night. I made up an IFR flight plan went to strap in and I couldn't get FlyInside to load. I have had the odd load up issue before, but never like this. I will give you the low down and dirty below and maybe you guys have some ideas. So far as any other info (ie error logs or anything like that) I have Moderate computer skills so if you want something specific you may have to tell me where to look.

Symptoms:
Fly inside splash screen comes up for a split second and then goes back to the Vive loading screen.
FSX fully boots and you can hear the menu music. It can be accessed via my PC or in the HTC desktop view without issue.
No error messages are generated
All other VR software works
FSX works normally when played just on the PC.

What I have tried so far:
Reinstalling Fly Inside (3 times)
Deleting the fsx.cfg file
Updating the nvidia drivers
Updating all the vive firmware
Updating viveport
Drinking heavily
Swearing at the computer

Computer/software stats:
O/S: Windows 10 Pro
CPU: i7-6700K
GPU: GTX-1080 Strix
RAM: 64GB
Primary HDD: 500GB SSD
VR: HTC Vive
Interface: Saitak X45 throttle and yoke
Sim: FSX Steam edition (no add-ons)
Fly Inside: Was version 1.92, now 1.96

The only things I have not tried and I am kind of hoping to avoid so I don't loose my flight logs and key bindings is reinstalling FSX or deleting any other config files.

Hopefully you guys can shed some light on this.
Tiggs

Re: FlyInside failing on load up

Postby Tony » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:35 am

Have you tried rolling Flyinside back to an earlier model? Have you had a recent windows update ? Have you drunk too much ? Never swear on a Sunday ;)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Tiggs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:38 am

Tony wrote:Have you tried rolling Flyinside back to an earlier model? Have you had a recent windows update ? Have you drunk too much ? Never swear on a Sunday ;)

-I haven't tried rolling it back to an earlier version, but I could.
-There was a recent update to windows but I can't remember if it happened before or after this problem surfaced (I didn't load up for a couple of nights)
-We'll talk about my drinking problems after we solve my computer problems :P
Tiggs

Postby Tony » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:17 am

:lol: ok fella, let's rule some bits and bobs out, try the older version of Flyinside for starters and check the updates page in windows and it should tell you your last updates and what they were.
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Tiggs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Tony wrote::lol: ok fella, let's rule some bits and bobs out, try the older version of Flyinside for starters and check the updates page in windows and it should tell you your last updates and what they were.

Ok, so I did an uninstall of the most recent version of FlyInside, and installed version 1.81 which I just picked at random, and I was all set to tell you it didn't work... but actually it loaded up without issue. I was even able to fly IFR for a couple of hours... you know.... testing and all before I got back to you guys, but I figured I would post all the details I did have here and then if you think we should dig a little deeper we can, and if you think we should just consider it solved and I should use an older version that works too.... I am just happy to be back in the cockpit.

Ok, so here is the general updates that happened last week that may or may not have some bearing on the issues:

Oct 12 (after the problem started)

nVidea Update 416.34

Oct 11 (right around where the trouble started):

Steam updated - https://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_client

Oct 10:

Windows Update: KB4462930 - Update to Adobe Flash
Windows Update: KB4092483 MS Office Security Update
Windows Update: KB4462919 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 X64 systems

Oct 9:

General update: Ran out of toilet paper

ON A SIDE NOTE - I did notice something odd that may point to a potential conflict? When I try to load FSX just to play on the desktop without loading up FlyInside, steam still tries to launch Steam VR. I don't remember it ever doing that before, and maybe it's messing with FlyInside. I do have a copy of the system report generated by the Vive, but it's a little too large to upload here.
Tiggs

Postby Tony » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:15 am

There's your problem, toilet roll awol does it everytime lol hmmm could be steam VR could be the new drivers, I'll dig a little deeper and see what happens. But if your happy with the older one then stick with it or go up in increments and see what the last stable one was/is?
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Tiggs » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:03 pm

Tony wrote:There's your problem, toilet roll awol does it everytime lol hmmm could be steam VR could be the new drivers, I'll dig a little deeper and see what happens. But if your happy with the older one then stick with it or go up in increments and see what the last stable one was/is?

Good news, I think I found the problem... my computer.... likes making me look like a dumbass in front of new people!

So I did as you suggested, moved up in increments from 1.8, all the way up to 1.96 (skipping only 1.95) and even after a couple of system reboots.... everything ran just fine.... Still baffles me... but I guess at least I am up and running again?
Tiggs

Postby karlz » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:49 pm

I am having the same issue, I have deleted and installed so many times....
I will tlry to go to some old versions and see if they work as well... I am not sure if anyone has anything on this.
My computer get to the point where you push any button to flyinside screeen, then FSX closes.

I went in erased all the cfg files to flyinside and fsx, and restarted it worked in demo mode without me putting in my email and password.
I thought ok, some glitch, but i think its going again, I chose to fly with password, it brought up that screen, authenticated me, and then closed down fsx... all to repeat it all over again... crash after hitting any key to begin.
I have now erased FSX SE again, manually removing as much as I can find according to websites....

I use to use this with oculus, and never had this problem, got the VIVE pro and looks great on everything else, even my P3Dv4 version seems to finally work, but I no longer have the native VR option tab after install of fly inside...
Not sure why it disappeared...

Frustrated...
Thanks if anyone can help.
karlz

Postby karlz » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:05 pm

I can get it to play one time by doing the demo, fly for the demo period. Next time I go in, if I use DEMO or my password it will forever crash, everytime I hit enter flyinside with any button.
It would work but for that, as it does the first time... I am getting tired of deleting everything and installing everything again... I can't figure out why...
any help would be great.
karlz

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here