newbie questions

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

newbie questions

Postby houseman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:07 am

hi forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere but i have a couple of questions
1.how do i hide the flyinside splashscreen
2.are there any recommended settings for display etc
thanks in advance
houseman
houseman
windows 7 ultimate
Intel core i5-2400 cpu@3.10GHZ
16 gigabyte memory
nvidia Geforce gtx 960 driver 10.18.13.5330
Oculus dk2 0.6.0.0 SDK
Razer orochi mouse
houseman

Re: newbie questions

Postby Tony » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:54 am

Welcome mate , on the bottom of the screen click on settings and go from page to page until you see "hide/show UI" = user interface and assign a button on joystick or a keyboard.
As for recommended settings , no one knows your spec's so I'd say experiment :)

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Sylas » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:30 pm

I think there are minimum system requirements to run the game, but I don't ever recall seeing recommended settings; however, there are sites all over, that are dedicated to tweaking FSX for maximum frames per second. I think FSX is one of those games that has no right or wrong way of doing things. It's all very personal. You may be fine with getting 30 frames per second, but others might be fine getting 24FPS, and then others who have to have at least 60FPS. etc, etc.
Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1, Intel i5 3570K@4500Mhz, AsRock Z77 Extreme4, 16GB ADATA DDR3 2400, MSI GTX 670PE X 2 SLI (FSX single GPU) Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium, OCZ 256GB Vertex 4, Crucial 240GB M500, WD 3TB Green, Saitek X52, Oculus Rift DK2 0.6.0.0
Sylas

Postby Robert » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:03 pm

It's all a tradeoff on settings and what works on a regular monitor may not be appropriate for VR.

As best I can tell, you want the FlyInside frames per second to stay pegged or very close to 75. When that number turns red, I am pretty sure that means you are dropping into high persistence mode. At any rate, try to keep that number at 75.

The FSX frames per second are also better up high but aren't quite as critical as the time warp frames as Dan time warps out of date frames to approximate as best as possible what a new frame should look like. I forget the cutoff where it turns red but try to keep it green as well.

All of that comes from adjusting your graphics and scenery settings, and some also comes from the planes you fly. The stock FSX planes are simple to draw and keep frames high. Some aftermarket planes have tons of detail, reflections on their surfaces, etc, and consume a lot of CPU/GPU cycles.

But no matter what, you want to keep the time warp frames at 75 and green, and the FSX frames green. It's probably somewhere around 45 that that one turns red. And in my experience, you just want to turn settings up in areas with complex scenery and then down until you get good numbers and it feels "right". In those settings comes the balance and unless you can just turn everything up to max and be good, the tradeoffs depend on what you value most - scenery contours, buildings, trees, other vehicles, animations, etc.

It's turning out to be a tough nut to crack, though. It really is kind of an art and there is a learning curve for me. Still climbing it.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here