VAS (Virtual Memory issues)

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

VAS (Virtual Memory issues)

Postby dcullen » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:04 pm

Daniel, again concrats on getting this to the stage it is at, I have backed the project and hope you get the funding required to see more.
I am running some heavy duty scenery expansions that without using flyinside are close to 3GB of memory. When using are rising over 4 and therefore
crashing out with VAS out of memory issues, is this something you or others have experienced yet
The scenery involved are ORBX such as Australia, Cairns Airport and even more noticeably New York City X (a huge resource grabber)
These do all work without flyinside so its just the rift pushing the limits, is this something you can do anything with. I have been using DCOC with Prepare3D
and have no such issues since they don't have the 4GB restrictions of 32Bit architecture, one downside of FSX.
The scenery is fairly ordinary really so I would hope this is not gonna be a stumbling block. Note: I tried the 4K graphics mode but this made the issues even more evident.
i7-4790k @ 4.0 GHz, Win 8.1/64, EVGA GTX 970 SC
Oculus Runtime 0.6.0.0, Flight Simulator X-Steam (also P3D)
Orbx FTX Global Base/Vector, Regions + Airports (e.g. Cairns, Southampton, Fairoaks etc) + NYC X + others
dcullen

Re: VAS (Virtual Memory issues)

Postby admin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:08 pm

Thank you for backing despite the limitations you've encountered! Like you've noticed, there are shortcomings, but these are issues I'll be improving upon.

You aren't alone, others have mentioned OOM due to third party scenery also. Would you say that NYC X is the fastest to cause an out-of-memory? I'd like to address this, and I figured the best way is by buying whichever scenery causes the problem fastest.
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby dcullen » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi, yes New York City X is definitely the one to show up the VAS problems, you just need to fly over the city (use High resolution option at install), its so detailed, the OOM issues always occur even sitting on the ground if you change your view
As I have mentioned it is up at 3GB and quickly exceeds 4GB when you use the rift?
In case you didn't know you can use ProcessExplorer to monitor.
The 4GB restriction (along with DirectX versions) are going to be difficult to deal with when using complex scenery/aircraft I expect, 1 of the reasons people moved to P3D, I hope it doesn't prove to be a stopper. Costwise I know FSX is better for the market and more for the masses but will you be considering carrying the development through to be compatible with P3D too, if not I fear that we will get limited by the scenery etc that can be used even on high spec machines.
Saying that, the immersion is still amazing, Ive just been spoilt in being able to use P3D for the last year :D , new users will no doubt not worry for the short time anyway.
keep up the great work
cheers
Dan
Orbx FTX Global Base/Vector, Regions + Airports (e.g. Cairns, Southampton, Fairoaks etc) + NYC X + others
dcullen

Postby Sylas » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:51 pm

Well, if you are speaking of the New York City X Drzewiecki Design, then it doesn't take a Rift to throw your sim into OOMs. The reason I am posting this reply is because it was NYC X Drzewiecki that gave me my very first OOM in FSX..EVER. Before that, I always thought people were doing janky things to their systems to get OOMs. I had TONS of add-ons installed up to that point. REX 4, ORBX Global/ Vector, and all of the ORBX North Americas, Accu-feel, My traffic X, FSUIPC, OPUS FSX, World Ground Traffic X, and numerous other sceneries and aircraft that are not relevant for this post. But the point is that with all of those add-ons, FSX never crashed on me...it was the NYC X addon that tipped the scales to crash my sim. Keep in mind that this was long before the Oculus Rift was ever available.
Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1, Intel i5 3570K@4500Mhz, AsRock Z77 Extreme4, 16GB ADATA DDR3 2400, MSI GTX 670PE X 2 SLI (FSX single GPU) Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium, OCZ 256GB Vertex 4, Crucial 240GB M500, WD 3TB Green, Saitek X52, Oculus Rift DK2 0.6.0.0
Sylas

Postby dcullen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:24 pm

yes I agree with what you say as I mentioned NYC X pushes even fsx to and over it's limits with or without the rift. It produces low frame rates and you need to lower settings generally. I suggested it only as a good
consistent way to reproduce the OOM errors. Using the rift unlike just fsx I get similar issues with other photo scenery such as Orbx Cains, Southampton and others but the failures are not so consistent.
I am a software engineer too and I recognise the need to reproduce any error consistently and predictably in order to debug and find solutions, so if you want to fix the OOMs I would recommend this scenery not because it
is popular or just a problem whn using the the rift (it's not), but because it fails predictably forcing the memory over 4GB easily. The rift is increasing the memory usage (VAS) by over 1GB, this happens with other scenery too but they don't seem to be so memory hungry so the errors don't always occur immediately but later in game.
dcullen

Postby admin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:19 pm

Thank you for all of the tips. From what others have said, I'm suspecting not only does FlyInside push memory usage up a bit, it leaks while running in conjunction with certain add-ons.
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here