Best way to record video?

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Best way to record video?

Postby Bruce_C » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:17 pm

I'd like to put together a short video showcasing FlyInside in the hopes it will help with the Kickstarter.

I was going to use Shadowplay to capture the desktop, including my webcam preview but the bug where the display on the monitor freezes in certain states (usually when messages like diff. brakes or main exit open show up?) makes this impractical.

Because I'm in direct mode I can't figure out a way to grab video from the rift and I'm not sure I'd want to use that as it would be in stereo 3D.

Any suggestions?

Bruce
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Re: Best way to record video?

Postby Robert » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:05 pm

Hey Bruce,

I use Open Broadcaster and 4000 kb/s. If you wait to start OBS until after you land in the cockpit, at least on my system, it records undistorted video. If you start recording before you go to cockpit it captures warped "raccoon eyes" video. I have a couple of unwarped videos in my YouTube channel if you want to compare.

Unwarped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e7C1mXdZzc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JhaTPVmWfU

Warped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daaja-wQmRo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9XjLQYBBbQ

One other thing since you are posting to help the Kickstarter - be sure to put stuff like virtual reality, FlyInside, Oculus Rift, and such in the keyword field. I've been watching the stats rise on how many people are finding my videos through keyword searches.

Also, I have some Indian company ripping my videos off wholesale and adding ads and such in to monetize them. The only reason it doesn't really piss me off is they copied the titles exactly and I have FlyInside FSX in them and they got that too so anyone seeing them can search and find Dan's website. They clip out the text though so where I include web addresses gets cut out.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Bruce_C » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks Robert,

Unfortunately I can't seem to get anything other than a juddery mess from OBS.

Are you using the rift in extended or direct? Which Oculus runtime?

Cheers,

Bruce
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV

Bruce_C

Postby Robert » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm running direct mode and the 0.5.0.1 runtime with FlyInside 0.17 (which I think is the same as the alpha version but don't know for certain).

Can you post your specs or put them in your signature? If you have any bug reports it helps Dan to localize problems.

I have been trying to sort out hyperthreading and the affinity mask to get FSX its own cores free and clear. It makes a huge difference for me on frame rates. Depending on what CPU you have it might help you out too. The 4000 kb/s setting in OBS is a compromise between video quality and not bogging down the rest of my system too much. Depending on specs, you may need to run at lower bps.

But something else that can make a huge difference is what kind of antivirus you are running, if yours is an OEM Windows build with all sorts of crapware bundled in (for free!), or what other software you might have running in the background. Just by what I have seen for myself with FSX, anything sharing a CPU core with it is bad juju and can really impact performance.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Bruce_C » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:58 am

My specs are in my signature. I have very little running when I'm gaming, generally I keep my PC free of bloat. I use Avast anti virus and disabling it make not noticeable difference to FSX. Performance with FlyInside is generally pretty good.

On closer inspection when I hit 'preview stream' on OBS it's not really judder but flickering between the stereo (rift) and mono (monitor) images from FSX. I've probably got something set up incorrectly. Previously I've only used OBS in 'preview' to mirror the DK2 in extended when I'm demoing other games.

Bruce_C

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here