Inefficient Support Process

Suggestions or issues with the message board?

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Inefficient Support Process

Postby pkwaite » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:29 pm

Twice this week I have looked to this message board to resolve some technical issue with FI and both times I found posts from people with the exact same problem. However, in both instances the solution was not shared. Dan asked the OP to email and the thread goes dead. Dan cannot answer every question so when he takes the care of interacting one on one it would be most helpful if people would return to the forum to tell how you overcame your particular glitch (maybe copy the email exchange and post that if appropriate). It is also most deflating to find a post relating to the problem your facing and the OP says something like: "never mind I figured it out . . ." If you overlooked something that now seems obvious please reply something like: "I didn't realize that I had to . . ." Without a manual it is easy to overlook the obvious and we need to help one another make FI the exciting simming experience that it was meant to be!
i7-6700K @ 4GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VIII HERO ALPHA, 32 GB ram, GXT 980 Ti Hybrid, 250 and 500 GB SSDs, Windows 10/64 bit, CV1 Rift, FSX:SE, ORBX FTX Global and Vector, Ulitimate Traffic 2
pkwaite

Re: Inefficient Support Process

Postby Robert » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:44 am

Agreed. People do need to close the loop when they come up with solutions. There is a wiki in progress but it would help to have a good handle on common problems. Also, stuff that appears to black hole when Dan contacts users directly is probably ending up in the next version of FlyInside.

Dan is a one man show on the software side and with supporting two headsets and two sims, he already has four permutations to work through with every update. It's really up to us to help each other in many ways because the alternative is to slow Dan way down.

But it also takes a little patience. There are a number who try to help but we don't always log in and may miss things.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby pkwaite » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:47 pm

Robert,

I have benefitted greatly from various internet forums through the years: Subaru Outback, Honda Goldwing, piloting, etc. but few match the level of care and assistance as flightsimming forums and the one here at FI is a good example. Don't get me wrong: I DO appreciate how you all jump in to help those of us who have struggled to get everything working!
i7-6700K @ 4GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VIII HERO ALPHA, 32 GB ram, GXT 980 Ti Hybrid, 250 and 500 GB SSDs, Windows 10/64 bit, CV1 Rift, FSX:SE, ORBX FTX Global and Vector, Ulitimate Traffic 2
pkwaite

Postby Tony » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:58 am

Hi mate :) I totally agree with your first post and if people could Mark "solved" on their post if an issue is sorted then that would help no end. Might be worth considering a sub forum to place solved issues ? What do you think ?
Us mods do try our best but there is only so much we know about what goes on under the hood of flyinside. The video I'm trying to make is very tricky as I'm trying to work out what to put in it? Should it just be a simple run through or more in depth ?

Any suggestions big or small then please post here ;)

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Robert » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:30 am

Hey PK, I was just expanding on what you had said. It always bugs me a bit when people don't close the loop. It gives a better idea of which problems are significant and it helps others in the same boat if people would come back and say if a particular suggestion helped or not.

But for others I was also just saying Dan is a one man show and I'd bet he stays pretty busy which may make it harder for him to respond in a timely manner some times.

Cheers!
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby admin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:57 pm

Thank you for the constructive criticism. You're right about the problem with threads going dead far too often :?

Certain fixes get wrapped into the software (to be released as part of FlyInside 1.6 in the near future), while others end up being configuration issues. I will start making an effort to post updates back to these threads as I debug if the original poster does not :)
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Return to Forum Feedback