Works with FSX:SE but crashes

Please post your findings and please add what headset you are using in your post.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Works with FSX:SE but crashes

Postby jyor0385 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:22 am

Hello,

I am so grateful for this project. I'm 36 and have dreamed of FS in VR since I was 12 I think. Yeah, we dreamed about VR back then. So to you Flyinside devs, thanks for fulfilling the dream of a nerdy little child that still lives in my heart.

However, I am having some stability issues (in the game...ok, maybe in some other areas too). The Flyinside system works great for a time, but if things get intense FSX:SE throws a fatal error and restarts apart from Flyinside. I'm using a Windows Mixed Reality Acer headset on a gaming MSI lappy with a GTX980M and an Core i7. I think it's 16GB RAM. Am I exceeding performance thresholds here? This system has been a powerhouse for me and I haven't had any performance issues with other more modern games in VR or otherwise. Any thoughts? Is this just the result of WMR being in early stages? Any suggestions? I also have FSX SP2 (boxed) installed. Would there be any benefit to reinstalling Flyinside to work with that version instead?

Thanks!

jyor0385
jyor0385

Re: Works with FSX:SE but crashes

Postby Stevil » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:35 am

Hi :)

I think we have two problems here:

1) Your laptop is a little weak compared to nowadays high end desktop pcs, especially gfx
2) There seems to be an issue with FSX or with your system? Did you overclock cpu or gpu? The fact that it also restarts is very strange IMO - even when FSX crashes

BR
Stephan
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Postby jyor0385 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:36 am

I think it's 16GB RAM.

Scratch that. 24 GB RAM.
jyor0385

Postby Stevil » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:40 am

This would be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=6408
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Postby jyor0385 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:46 am

Stevil wrote:Your laptop is a little weak compared to nowadays high end desktop pcs, especially gfx

This thing is only about two years old or so. It was MSI's premier gaming lappy at the time. But hey, laptops are still laptops. They can't compete with a well outfitted desktop. Even still, a GTX980 is nothing to sneeze at. Ok, my pride aside. You made a comment about the game restarting. This is sometimes a standard procedure in Windows 10. When programs crash Win10 often tries to restart if it can (I find this especially happens if it is a Microsoft software product). The system is overclocked via MSI software, I think. I have a foggy understanding of how overclocking works on modern systems. In the day, you had to switch jumpers around to overclock a system. Or at the least, you had to make changes in the BIOS settings. But this think has this MSI utility that allows you to change up the system performance on the fly with software. I will try to restart and enter BIOS to verify. Thanks Steve.
jyor0385

Postby jyor0385 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:53 am

Stevil wrote:This would be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=6408

I'm going down that list, think I have given everything I can except the log file. I did some digging and couldn't figure out where those are located. Can you give me a hint? I am not currently using any addons. These are all pretty fresh installs and my drivers are up to date. The headset is plugged into the HDMI (and USB3). And my system does not have a built in Intel graphics card. It's an nvidia GTX980.
jyor0385

Postby Stevil » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:56 am

Hey man,

in general nothing is wrong with the power of your laptop BUT:
Things have changed wlth VR. I built myself a pretty expensive and powerful rig (still not at the end of what’s possible OFC) but still I am not getting the fps in Xplane which I would like to see....in my case the CPU is my bottleneck, even though it is already overclocked to 4.7/4.8GHz...

VR and modern sims have so high requirements that even most normally good powerful machines have problems to keep up with them.

Regarding the MSI tool: Do a search on that forum here...those MSI tools sometimes cause real problems. Maybe try to run your laptop without OC‘ing and without that tool?

BR
Stephan
HTC Vive
Stevil

Postby jyor0385 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:04 am

Good tips. The FPS (from a visual point of view) seems decent. I wasn't looking at the numbers. Is there a way to show the FPS on screen? The crashes seem to happen when I put the plane (Cessna 172) through serious maneuvers. I should also mention that I've only given this about four or five runs and the timing of the crash may be totally arbitrary. There are any number of reasons why my system may be the culprit. Another possible destabilizer could be that I'm running a Fast-Ring Insider Preview of Win 10. But I thought it would be worth while to see if others were able to have stable performance with WMR and FSX:SE. That way I'd know if I should try to button things down on my end or wait for updates to smooth things over. WMR is very new.
jyor0385

Postby jyor0385 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:14 pm

I am thinking this issue is not due to performance. I think it's more arbitrary than that. I was flying in a very boring scenery with a Cessna 172 and got the fatal error. Then I flew in a densely populated city scene in an F/A18 and really put the rendering engine and physics processing to work and it ran smoothly without a hiccup. The FPS is capped at 90. I was getting 40+ with no dips. How do I generate the error log?
jyor0385

Postby TheExplorographer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:25 pm

I too have the SE version. Windows 10 i7 6850 processor, 64gigs of DDR4, Twin GeForce 1080 graphics cards (not in SLI). Samsung Odyssey HMD.

The simulator fires up nicely. I pick the default Free Flight.. It runs for approx 10seconds, clicks back to the VR Theater (Fly Inside screen), then back into full VR mode. It does this 3 times, then FSX crashes. Up until that 20 seconds has passed, what does work in VR is butter smooth and looks great. Attached is the LOG file.

error-20171228T202030.zip
(332.36 KiB) Downloaded 580 times
FlyInside Ver: 1.91 VR Headset: Samsung Odyssey HMD
----------------------------------
CPU: i7 6850K Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-SLI Ram: 64Gig DDR4 Video Card(s): Zotac Extreme GeForce 1080 X2 (non SLI) Software: FSXse
TheExplorographer

Next

Return to Windows Mixed Reality