Prepar 3D V4.1 crashes with Samsung Odyssey

Please post your findings and please add what headset you are using in your post.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Prepar 3D V4.1 crashes with Samsung Odyssey

Postby admin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi Everyone,

My sincere apologies on this. I've been working on this bug, testing various fixes, and haven't nailed it down yet. Intermittent nature for me is the worst part. I spent the better part of this Weds debugging on a customer's computer who I thought had the same bug reproducible in a repeatable manner. Unfortunately after several hours of debugging, we tracked it down to something completely unrelated, a config issue :oops: Therefore I do not have the beta with a fix I was hoping to have for everyone today.

Is anyone here, who gets this bug consistently, within 1-2 minutes of launching the sim, willing to let me debug on your computer next week? That could really speed up the fix development on my end, due to the vastly improved turn-around time and repeat-ability.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby denali » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:55 pm

I'll review the original post, but I seem to get this problem consistently. I'll take a few swings at it on my own again here, make sure it's related to the OP issue.
denali

Postby denali » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:50 pm

My issue may not be related to the OP. I have the vive version of flyinside 1.91 for P3D4.1. When I start FI, the Odyssey screen goes black, and my triple monitors go black, half the time the computer freezes and does not recover.

I also have FI for vive for P3D 3. V1.9. In starting FI the Odyssey goes blank, but I get an error on my monitor saying I am using the vive version of FI, and I should use the right version.

So I have uninstalled both 32 and 64bit FI for vive, and am going to give the oculus version a shot. Earlier I got a hint that this might be an issue because Revive asked for an update when I started 1.91 and it rebounded rather than a complete crash. That update seems to have installed, and I'm going to see if it is the oculus version that the WMR wants running.
denali

Postby denali » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:55 pm

So far no luck with uninstalling FI for vive and trying FI for oculus. The same thing happens, the HMD screen goes black. I'm going to keep trying.

Does anyone have Fly-Inside Prepar3d 4.1 working with the Samsung Odyssey? Or is my system an outlier. I am planning a new 8700k build soon. If I my system is an exception to otherwise functioning Odysseys then I might just go earlier for the 8700k upgrade.
denali

Postby Tony » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:37 am

Do you have triple to go or whatever it's called ? Can you try disabling that for me? Have one monitor and the HMD only plugged in and try again. Bit of a pain but we need to try every option for you.
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby garrittpwl » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:28 am

I can repeat this bug EVERY time on FSX with my Odyssey.
gimme a second and i'll get a log for you
garrittpwl

Postby Tony » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:53 am

An error log would be helpful mate
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby denali » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Tony wrote:Do you have triple to go or whatever it's called ? Can you try disabling that for me? Have one monitor and the HMD only plugged in and try again. Bit of a pain but we need to try every option for you.

So I got some time today to run through some more experiments. This time I removed two monitors, an HDMI connected and DVI connected, leaving 1. That didn't seem to help. So I went ahead and disabled SLI. That didn't seem to work either. But I started to at least hear or sometimes even see the transition animation in WMR to a VR game, the diamonds over black void that envelop you.

I disconnected every device, a couple of external drives, yokes, rudder pedals, etc. Then deleted their now hidden devices from device manager and anything else that was greyed.

Now I was able to get back to windows after the "crash" into black, and there was a choose your GPU dialog from flyinside. In hindsight, perhaps the most significant thing I did was to delete the Flyinside ini file in the Appdata folder. I was able to get Flyinside for P3Dv4 started and take a flight!

But the framerate is in the mid 20's. I've always had this issue in FI, but I began to wonder if I am getting SLI, and I don't think I've looked at GPU loads in FI to see if SLI matters. So I'm trying again, with limited time to finish, to see if I can put my system back in SLI configuration.

Another side issue, I was unable to choose a button on my yoke in FI to reset view or as a selection button, the yoke is ignored in FI. FSUIPC yoke setting still functioned as before.

To note, this Prepar3d with FI was functioning with a Pimax 4k previous to this, and I probably should have removed the FI ini file first thing. But at least now I am getting somewhere. Hopefully SLI will still take cause I need both horses on this GTX 780 dinosaur.
denali

Postby denali » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:40 pm

So the issue must have been SLI. I can get FI to start, show it's tabbed menu/board. But once scenery loads ... lockup.
With 2 GPU but not in SLI mode everything loads as it did with the Pimax. Pretty much same performance, but the Pimax BE Appeared Better.
So I can run P3D 4 with FI 1.91. So far it runs OK, same framerate as with Pimax BE (2880 x 1600, same as Samsung Odyssey, but released a year earlier, but only HMD gyro, no controllers). I never really check if Prepar3d with FlyInside was running in SLI, but as I am getting the same framerate now with the Odyssey I'm going to guess it was not in SLI.
Later I'll take a good look at where the bottleneck is. It could be I was in SLI but it doesn't matter because I am so CPU bottlenecked.
So I'm questioning SLI history. Is anyone using/able to use SLI with P3D and a Samsung Odyssey?
The other major issue at this time is FlyInside not recognizing my Saitek Cessna Pro Pilot Yoke. I've been using the Odyssey hand controllers to get by. But it was much better with reset and select buttons on the yoke. Any ideas?
denali

Postby fritz99 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:38 am

Hello !
How can I disable SLI mode ?
Oculus Rift VC1
HTC VIVE
Core I7 4 GHZ
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 980TI
fritz99

PreviousNext