Helicopter Trim?

Moderators: Tony, admin

Helicopter Trim?

Postby telemole » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:40 am

Hi folks - trying to find a trim function for the helicopters - where is it located? :(
telemole

Re: Helicopter Trim?

Postby telemole » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:35 pm

I fear I've stumped everyone lol - Since I discovered how to use Trim a few months ago (thanks to the awesome people at helisimmer!) I simply don't want to fly without it - maybe it';s only in certain models? :(

DCS Huey uses it beautifully. Hope there is a similar function in all your Helos - because so far even my small VR rig is doing well :

i7, 16gig ram and Rx470 video, Rift, touch, and Saitek X52
telemole

Postby telemole » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:36 pm

There is a button on one of the sticks called Force Trim - which i can press with 3d cursor - but can find no way to map this - would really like to know how :(
telemole

Postby admin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:08 pm

Sorry guys, we don't have helicopter trim implemented yet. I know it's a sorely missing feature, we're working on a heli flight model 2.0 which really revamps them in general.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby John Hargreaves » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:09 am

telemole wrote:Hi folks - trying to find a trim function for the helicopters - where is it located? :(

Not 100% sure about their real counterparts, but in sims the helicopters either have no trim (Robinson R22 XP11), trim with the hat switch (Cabri G2 XP11) or force trim (Huey in DCS) so it varies. Some have a stability augmentation system also (Bell 412 XP11) it's quite fun finding out about all the different quirks and characteristics of each one. I think it's best to see current helicopter physics as placeholder in FFS, the guys are definitely heading in the right direction, but full implementation of helicopter physics is bound to take time. From posts I've read they are keen on getting expert feedback and making an accurate helicopter flight model, which given that we already have three excellent helicopter models from day one, looks good for the future.
i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/OE-XAM R22 collective/Reverb G2
John Hargreaves

Postby telemole » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Any chance I can ask the ETA of heli flight model 2.0? :)

admin wrote:Sorry guys, we don't have helicopter trim implemented yet. I know it's a sorely missing feature, we're working on a heli flight model 2.0 which really revamps them in general.

Thanks,
Dan
telemole

Postby Banshee14 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:44 pm

I bought FlyInside specifically for the helicopters. I have over 1500 rotary wing hours (mostly in a US Army Bell 206/407 variants) and I found the 407 sim totally unflyable even in easy mode. I could not grasp the collective at all and the cyclic was so off center that pulling it back all the way barely kept the nose up. Granted, I'm new to this program and likely have a learning curve ahead of me. I found I could easily fly most fixed wings though I had no idea what I was doing other than throttling up and pointing the nose to where I want to go. I was hoping easy mode would be a way to learn but the thing was stuck in full throttle and every time I entered the sim the helicopter took off in a roll before I could even try to get any control. /rant

I am really happy to see a VR flight sim like this. It looks great and certainly has tons of potential for helicopter flight. I will be looking forward to 2.0 and beyond.
Banshee14

Postby admin » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:42 am

Hi Banshee,

That's a lot of flight time! From your post, it sounds like you might be using Leap Motion / Oculus Touch /Vive controller to try to fly the helis? Right now I wouldn't recommend that at all, it works pretty decently for fixed-wing but we don't have pure-VR helicopter control very usable yet. I'd recommend trying it out with a joystick of some sort.

Btw, if you're interested in providing more feedback, please shoot me an e-mail: dan@flyinside-fsx.com . Especially as heli flight model 2.0 comes together, your feedback would be invaluable.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby Wizkid2552 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:40 pm

I'm happy someone posted this because I thought I was doing something wrong last night in the 407 and then the MD530. In real helis too trim is so important for managing the workload and keeping the pax from complaining. I like how the Huey works in DCS World which models the real stick trim button (not the force trim option) which you can see move in when you engage trim. Then there is the trim reset button on the bottom of the stick that releases this trim setting and lets the cyclic come back to true center again. If you have a lot of forward trim set, you also don't want to just release it because it will snap back to center; better to gradually reset the trim further back until you are at or near center that way. This trim allows not only nose attitude hold but if you are holding a little right or left, that is set too, which almost makes a long flight as easy as an airplane on autopilot. Most pilots secure the collective once enroute, so this trim lets you do almost the same for the cyclic. Of course the big birds like the CH47 and 412 someone mentioned can have full blown auto hover/ auto pilots, but that is not much fun for flying in a sim unless it was mission driven like the DCS World or FSX missions (is such a thing going to be possible with FFS?)
Wizkid2552

Return to General discussion