Ground Imagery Resolution

Moderators: Tony, admin

Ground Imagery Resolution

Postby Qantas_10 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:12 am

In the original concept screenshots the ground imagery looked a great deal sharper and of a higher resolution to what is currently shown in the beta, I assume to limit download size ? Is it your intention to provider higher resolution ground imagery later and will you also look to cover Australia in the “rest of world” update.
Qantas_10

Re: Ground Imagery Resolution

Postby MalcolmFI » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:57 am

Yes, improved scenery is a high priority on our features list right now. For expanded scenery, we are planning on adding Europe first, eventually followed by the rest of the world. Hope you're enjoying!
MalcolmFI

Postby Qantas_10 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:35 am

I only have the trial at this stage, but can see the potential already. I expect once the ground textures are sharpened up it will look just as good as it does at night, which will be fantastic ... Great job so far
Qantas_10

Postby keron_c » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:47 am

The Ground image is the only reason I haven't purchased this already. I like how smooth the sim runs but if what I see out the windows is not at the level of FSX or XPlane 11, then I just can't bring myself to purchase it.

I see that it will be updated but what can we expect in the update? Are we looking at Megascenery v2 level or better?
keron_c

Postby Lucky » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Hello,

The Ground image is the only reason I haven't purchased this already

Well, for me it's one of the reasons I keep flying more often with AFS2.

The future of Flyinside depends for me of the possibilities and the tools we will be able to use to make sceneries :

X-Plane never would have been so successfull without tools like Marginal's FS2Xplane and OverlayEditor tools, WED and other tools like g2xpl.

Speaking about AFS2, some users made nice photorealistic sceneries and airports too. ORBX's guys "came in the game" and made a lot of great sceneries, the last being the amazing Netherlands TrueEarth (I own all the European payware sceneries).

FSW died because they made the choice of a "closed" simulator restricting the ability to make sceneries : to have a real future a new sim needs to offer the possibilities for the users to make, tor use or to buy third party sceneries.

A good (even if excellent like FFS) behaviour in VR is not enough taking in count VR users are still not very numerous and looking the other sims existing on the market, knowing most of users have inverted not only money but also a lot of time in them.

Don't think I am not happy with FFS : I did buy it and still enjoy it, but I would like FFS to "take flight" :

So for me the effort should be, even before offering updates with high resolution sceneries, giving us simple tools to make them by ourselves : no doubt they will quickly be numerous and will be shared mostly as freeware (look again at X-Plane, you can find as freeware : high resolution Mesh coverage, high resolution photorealistic sceneries covering countries and high detailed airports. Quite nobody is using X-Plane with default scenery. Even alternative generic textures; The same with FSX, P3D or AFS2).

The other high performance modern sim with good VR performances is AFS2. It's for me the most important competitor for FFS. The mistake AFS2 guys have made is for me not to give one acceptable world coverage even if in low resolution like FFS's one. Despite this he gets some success with third parties payware sceneries, but many users don't ues this sim because of the lake of world coverage.

I think to be competitive (that is to say to have a future) FFS should quickly offer a basic world scenery coverage at least USA (done) and Europe (I hope quickly), but not stopping there : giving us a world coverage before a year, and meanwhile giving us the tools to make sceneries.
The world coverage is important because many users like to fly other the world and I know many scenery designers living in other countries. Flight simmers is a community : more people interested, more freeware creations, more data sharing and quicker the development. it would have more success and attract freeware and payware scenery designers.

So : only my opinion - do not pretend to "own the truth" (and sorry for my poor english)

Kind regards
Lucky

Postby Kloot » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:03 am

Aerofly FS2 needs a lot of work and it will take them years to get implemented what FFS already have.
Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift
Kloot

Postby Lucky » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:23 am

Hello,

Aerofly FS2 needs a lot of work and it will take them years to get implemented what FFS already have.

This is not the concern of my post : I am not preoccupied about "who is the best", I am concerned about what is the state of the market and what will be the place of FFS looking at what the users are (seem to be )expecting.

I own all the classic sims (PSX , P3D V4, X-Plane 11 - and all the Flynside versions related to them - and also AFS2 and DCS) : despite this I have a great interest for FFS, I did buy - like you I suppose - but the meaning of my post is how many are we in the actual state ot the market and how many will we be after the "excitation of novelty" period if SDK and scenery tools do not come soon ?
Lucky

Postby admin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:57 am

Lucky, if there's one direction we will not go it's the closed direction of FSW. We need to make some additional changes to our scenery system before really opening it up (because it's under rapid development, any tools we build will quickly become outdated), but the goal is to both improve the built-in scenery (it is the first thing users ever see), and allow for scenery add-ons.

Kloot, I appreciate the support :) That said, Aerofly makes an impressive project themselves. I think we have some catching up to do on our end as well :oops:

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby Lucky » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:42 am

That said, Aerofly makes an impressive project

You too : My goal was to notice nobody is flying with the basic scenery in AFS2 (and quite the same with X-Plane or P3D), which makes the ability to build third party scenery very important for your future.

In a "caricatural" way : just imagine flying over Netherlands TrueEarth scenery with FFS ;)

Most important of AFS2's success is to be able to enjoy great third party sceneries better than with the "classics" FSX or P3D simulators. (i.e. with much better visuals and performances either in standard screen or in VR mode with good VR capacities).

I think FFS is able to do even better but needs third party sceneries... FFS will have the advantage to offer a more complete basic scenery with at least USA and Europe coverage, (hoping worldwide), which could be a determinant advantage giving the ability to fly from any point of the world to another one without flying other a "no scenery land" like in AFS. OSM is a very good way for this.

(Generic scenery based upon OSM data can be amazing too : look at the job SimHeaven made for X-Plane with "X-Europe2" : http://simheaven.com/simdownloads/x-europe2/ )
Lucky

Postby Kloot » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Lucky wrote:Hello,

This is not the concern of my post : I am not preoccupied about "who is the best", I am concerned about what is the state of the market and what will be the place of FFS looking at what the users are (seem to be )expecting.

I own all the classic sims (PSX , P3D V4, X-Plane 11 - and all the Flynside versions related to them - and also AFS2 and DCS) : despite this I have a great interest for FFS, I did buy - like you I suppose - but the meaning of my post is how many are we in the actual state ot the market and how many will we be after the "excitation of novelty" period if SDK and scenery tools do not come soon ?

I never mentioned about who is best, I said AFS2 have a lot of catching up to do :-)
Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift
Kloot

Next

Return to General discussion