My experiences with FlyInside Simulator

Moderators: Tony, admin

My experiences with FlyInside Simulator

Postby fooleranto » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:14 pm

Hello everyone!

I started with FSX, then switched to P3D and then to X-Plane 10. Then I bought the Oculus Rift CV1 and ran X-Plane together with FlyInside XP. At the same time I ran DCS and Aerofly FS2 and now I came across the FlyInside simulator. Important: Everything I write now refers exclusively to my experiences with VR.

DCS, Aerofly FS2, and X-Plane in combination with FlyInside XP offer a really great feeling to sit in an aircraft cockpit, but somehow it wasn't like flying over the world with a real aircraft. Aerofly FS2 offers incredibly nice graphics, but even there the feeling of flying hasn't really set in.

Now I did a few laps with the FlyInside simulator, flew loops, landed and also flew at high altitudes. Something was better here, but I didn't know what. I felt it was more like a real flight than the other simulators and now I've figured out what it is. If I fly with DCS, Aerofly FS2, or X-Plane, then the more distant area appears to me quite two-dimensional, i.e. the 3D feeling I have actually only in the cockpit and if I fly very close to something (e.g. a house). Things that are at a greater distance, on the other hand, seem rather flat to me. In the FlyInside Simulator this is not the case, because things that are far away, such as hills or houses, actually seem far away to me. I have the impression that I would actually look into the distance and accordingly the world seems more natural to me. If, for example, I fly towards a mountain, then I can see from a distance where the edge of the mountain is and where it goes downhill again. In my opinion, this is not the case with the other simulators.

When I'm travelling at extreme altitudes, about 22.000 ft, the world really seems to be extremely realistic, even if FlyInside Simulator is still far away from showing a beautiful world, but the picture is already really worth seeing. I've never had the impression in a simulator that I'm really at this altitude. Even the moon was there, which made the impression even stronger.

I am writing all this because I would like to hear from you if only I have this impression, or if you can confirm it. I would like to call on the makers of FlyInside Simulator to attach particular importance to this feature, because it seems to me to be a unique selling point.

Greatings from Germany
Intel i7 7700K, 4,2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1080, Windows 10, Leap Motion
fooleranto

Re: My experiences with FlyInside Simulator

Postby TomC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:23 am

No, I think this is just you, lol! Just kidding. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I currently only fly Flyinside and X-Plane 11.30 flight sims in VR with my Oculus Rift and both of these seem to give me a good 3D perspective, close up or far away. Of course FFS is a bit smoother at 90fps compared to 45fps with XP11 but XP11 still seems more realistic to me because it uses real scenery and ground traffic. FFS is improving all the time and I'm hopeful it will get more realistic scenery/landmarks/world coverage later this year. For now, while I'm glad I have both, I probably spend +75% of my sim time with XP11.
Alienware 17r4 Laptop (Dec/2017); i7-7700HQ (2.8/3.6Ghz), GTX1060-6Gb, 32GB ram, Oculus Rift w/touch controllers, various flight sticks and gamepads. Now with Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) w/GTX1080ti plus Asus VG248QE 144hz external monitor.
TomC

Postby fooleranto » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:37 am

Hello, Tom!

Thank you for your opinion on this topic. I also tried XP11, but no matter how I do it, I just can't get a constant 45 frames on XP11. I have a really strong computer (i7, Nvidia GTX1080, 16 GB, SSD), but that doesn't seem to be enough. How do you manage to get a constant 45 frames? Which settings do you use? Did you do anything with the NVIDIA settings? I've tried everything on the Internet. Also various additional tools e.g. for controlling the processes did not work. Of course, if I take the graphic settings back extremely far, then it's enough, but then the picture just looks bad and nowhere are there houses. If you fly with a helicopter, then of course it's stupid. In this respect FlyInside is simply much better and I can draw a comparison as often as I like, the 3D feeling is simply better with FlyInside.

Many greetings from cold Germany

Gunter
fooleranto

Postby TomC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:41 am

Gunter,
You can see my PC specs below in my signature. I have a stronger gtx1080ti plus 32gb ram so that may help a bit. Also, no plugins or custom scenery, all stock. If you need help I suggest you go to the XP11 user forum and ask there. Sounds like you are getting good results with FFS and FS2 so maybe just stick with them. Good luck and thanks again for your feedback.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... -plane-11/

Cheers,
Tom
Alienware 17r4 Laptop (Dec/2017); i7-7700HQ (2.8/3.6Ghz), GTX1060-6Gb, 32GB ram, Oculus Rift w/touch controllers, various flight sticks and gamepads. Now with Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) w/GTX1080ti plus Asus VG248QE 144hz external monitor.
TomC

Postby fooleranto » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:42 am

Hello, Tom!

As I've already written, I've really tried a lot and of course I've also browsed all the forums to find a solution to my problem. Unfortunately I didn't find what I was looking for. So I will continue to do without flying with XP11 and instead do my rounds with FlyInside Simulator. Anyway, thank you very much for your hints.

Many greetings from cold Germany

Gunter
fooleranto

Postby admin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:00 pm

Thank you so much for the feedback! That's a new one, I never heard anyone say that before. That said, we do perform proper stereo rendering all the way to the horizon, and it's possible (I'm really not sure) that other sims are doing hacks on distant scenery there-by making it render in mono at a large distance.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby fooleranto » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:27 pm

Yeah, I guess it'll be something like that. I've already checked this several times and tried out all possible settings, but it stays the same: the FlyInside Simulator is clearly better than the competition in this respect. I think this is very important when flying with the Oculus, because it increases the feeling of being "in the middle". Especially when flying close to the ground, it is important that the view from the cockpit makes it easy to estimate distances. I often fly with the helicopter and when you're there in the landing approach, it's elementary to be able to estimate distances well, because otherwise you might be too fast or too far away to be able to land precisely. Heliports are sometimes only a few meters in diameter, so everything has to be right.

On this occasion I would like to point out: If you look out of the window of the helicopters MD-530 or B-407, they are much too clear, so you don't have the feeling that there is a windscreen. In the CH-47D this is better, the windshield has dirt. You should improve it, because a "visible" windshield also contributes to the 3D feeling.

Many greetings from Germany

Gunter
fooleranto

Postby TomC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:44 pm

admin wrote:Thank you so much for the feedback! That's a new one, I never heard anyone say that before. That said, we do perform proper stereo rendering all the way to the horizon, and it's possible (I'm really not sure) that other sims are doing hacks on distant scenery there-by making it render in mono at a large distance.

Thanks,
Dan

I think that this is just something that this person has felt. I'm not saying that this is not important to him, just not to others like me.

As far as windscreen clarity, please keep this crystal clear. For VR there are enough clarity/glare problems with other flight sims and this does not add any realism imho. In fact I normally try to edit these out (eg lower aircraft model specular settings and no windshield effects with XP11).

I'm not saying that windshield effects should not be an option though.
TomC

Postby sunjunkiesi » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:28 am

I'd strongly disagree on the glass needing to be crystal clear. I've flown a number of times rw, and in every aircraft I've flown the glass has been hazed, scratched, marked or otherwise very much visible. If anything the effects are way to low in the simulator, especially on the older aircraft. The dirty edges, sight hazing and glaring reflections are incredibly realistic of what one might expect in the air.

I do however think there are far more important things for the devs to focus on right now. In particular the yoke and lever control using vr controllers, where current standards lack way behind those of x plane native.

Back on topic, I fly x plane and fifs regularly and can see no difference in the 3d vision from one to the other either. I suspect its more of a feeling, as suggested above. The graphics in fifs are significant better so this may be a hangover from that.
sunjunkiesi

Postby fooleranto » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:09 am

Hello!

Well, it may be that it's really just me, that I have a better 3D feeling with the FlyInside Simulator, because not all people see equally well in 3D. Obviously, my 3D-field of vision is more pronounced than that of other people, or it's because I've been working with stereo photography for 40 years, and maybe I've trained a more pronounced 3D-ability accordingly. Let's leave it at that.

Greatings from Germany

Gunter
fooleranto

Next

Return to General discussion