FlyInside Flight Simulator - Beta Branch

Moderators: Tony, admin

FlyInside Flight Simulator - Beta Branch

Postby admin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi All,

We've decided to open up our beta branch to the general public, so more of you can test if interested. It's opt-in, and you may run into bugs. On the other hand you'll get new features and improvements before we release them :) We'd love your feedback if you try it out!

Opting into closed-beta
By default, the Updater will revert you to the latest public release! To opt into closed-beta updates (newest features, less stable):
1. Turn on Debugging Tools from "Help -> About -> Usage Options"
2. Open "Debugging Tools -> Debug Diagnostics"
3. Expand "Debug Options"
4. For "Updates URL" specify "https://cdn.flyinside-fsx.com/SimLatest.ClosedBeta/" (the final slash is important)
5. Restart your sim
6. Use "Sim -> Check for Updates" - It should show a prompt for version 0.5.3.0 currently

What's new since 0.5.0.0?
  • Adds night-lighting to all aircraft
  • Positional yoke now supports all settings/features that rotational yoke does (under Settings -> VR)
  • Default is now hold-trigger-to-hold-yoke, as we found "Tap on" / "Tap off" could be a little confusing for new users. Still easy to turn on from Settings -> VR :)
  • Some performance improvements
  • Some improvements to stutter during scenery loading
  • Fixes memory leak which occurs after opening moving map
  • Fixes CPU usage bug which occurred after opening and closing moving map
  • Fixes crashes caused by corrupt texture files
  • Yoke/collective are now grabbable via "Tap on" / "tap off". Hold your controller close to the yoke, press and release the trigger once. The yoke will stay highlighted and you can control it. Press and release trigger a second time to let go! You can change this to the hold behavior from "Settings -> VR" and unchecking "Use Tap-On/Tap-Off Yoke Hold"
  • You can now grab the yoke using a "grip" gesture. On Vive controllers press one of the grip buttons, on Oculus Touch squeeze both the trigger button and the grip button below it simultaneously. This will hold the yoke from the palm of the hand rather than the finger-tip.
  • Fixes MD530F collective grabbability
  • Adds a setting to turn off rudder control from vr yoke/collective grab. Settings -> VR -> VR Yoke Controls Rudder
  • Adds a setting to leave the yoke where it is when you let go, rather than snapping back to center (Settings ->VR -> Retain VR Yoke Position)
  • Adds sensitivity sliders for yoke control to Settings -> VR.
  • Hands are no longer blindingly bright at night
  • Tooltips/interaction bubble are now visible at night
  • Propeller and mixture levers now "multi-grabbable"
  • File -> Record Video now records to MP4, and you can include audio or menus to your videos
  • Engine sounds now go away when engines are shut off
  • Fixed friction bug, helicopters can now get "light on their skids"
  • Fixes turn-coordinator ball bug
  • Improves 717 VR interaction and switch coverage
  • Adds UDP socket capabilities to scripting. Contact me if you're interested
  • Fixes B55 Fuel Flow gauge
  • Adds SDK APIs to parse XML from strings, create strings from XML

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Re: FlyInside Flight Simulator - Beta Branch

Postby TomC » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:26 pm

Thanks Dan,
I tried all this and it did not do anything. Then I went to the Steam FFS store page and found I just needed to open my steam library, right click on FFS/properties/beta tab and opt into beta, then close. Then Steam updated this fine. Very easy once you know how, eh!

All seems pretty well and I esp. like that my heli's now have instrument lights for night flying. Thanks Dan.

Cheers,
TomC
Alienware 17r4 Laptop (Dec/2017); i7-7700HQ (2.8/3.6Ghz), GTX1060-6Gb, 32GB ram, Oculus Rift w/touch controllers, various flight sticks and gamepads. Now with Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) w/GTX1080ti plus Asus VG248QE 144hz external monitor.
TomC

Postby berrdav » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:25 am

Good update. It is nice to see the B55 fuel flow indicator working now.
A couple of other B55 issues:
The turn indicator calibration seems to be out - it only moves a small amount, even in sharp turns.
NAV2 doesn't seem to work - adjusting eithe NAV1 or NAV2 frequency knob changes both frequencies simultaneously, but only NAV1 works.
berrdav

Postby admin » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:14 am

Thanks for the feedback!

Tom - Whoops, I posted the website version instructions here, and the Steam beta instructions on steam - https://steamcommunity.com/games/862390/announcements/detail/1747862546555522637

Berrdav - NAV2 isn't really implemented yet, it's a hack at the moment. Heh I'll dig into that turn coordinator ball, can't believe we don't have it working right yet :oops:
admin
Site Admin

Postby fooleranto » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:04 am

Hello!

In Steam I can select 2 different beta versions. What is the difference between these two versions and what do those users, they don't own Steam, but also want to use the other version (OpenBeta?)?

Greating from Germany

Gunter
Intel i7 7700K, 4,2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1080, Windows 10, Leap Motion
fooleranto

Postby MalcolmFI » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:43 pm

You'll want the branch called "beta." The other one ("prebeta") shouldn't be showing up anymore as of last night, but you may need to quit and restart Steam for that to take effect.
MalcolmFI

Postby NFelix » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:26 pm

Hi
When you say "Adds night-lighting to all aircraft", you mean the internal aircraft lights only, right? Because i don't see any of the exterior lights...
By the way, at leat the 310R is not touching the runway, it's some inches above the ground.

And is the new scenery night lighting missing? And the roads? Or it's just some problem in my installation?

Apart from that, keep up the excelent work
NFelix

Postby Croccy22 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:29 am

Hi,

Have been away from the forum for a while so only just seen this:

Adds UDP socket capabilities to scripting. Contact me if you're interested

Is this what we needed for exporting the motion data for simulators? If so is there any documentation on it somewhere?

Thanks, Matt.
Croccy22

Postby admin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:53 pm

NFelix - Sorry for the slow response. New scenery is missing night lighting and proper roads. Sorry, we're going a bit in circles on the scenery stuff, always 3 steps forward 1 step back :oops:

Matt, shoot me an e-mail, dan@flyinside-fsx.com - I'll send you some samples and info on the UDP stuff.

Thanks,
Dan
admin
Site Admin

Postby Smithers-1968 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:55 pm

So glad to find this - with no updates on Steam for a long time I was worried it might be abandoned.
I haven't flown it for a while, mostly been enjoying gliding in Condor2. But saw something about X-Plane and Vulkan, updated my demo and was still disappointed so fired up FFS again.

FS 2020 doesn't interest me without VR. X-Plane looks awful in VR. Condor2 is the best gliding sim I've every flown and works well in VR but for general powered flight FFS has to be the future.
Smithers-1968

Next

Return to General discussion